No announcement yet.

Lobster Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aw yeah man! Preview of Get the Lobster #5 at http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/21-5...-the-Lobster-5.

SPOILERS AHEAD

That explains the villain in Satan Smells a Rat. I wasn't sure who that guy was. That also explains the scene last issue where one of the villains says that LoJo murdered the Cossaro brothers' father.

Can't wait for this issue!

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      Or it may not matter, if he's not an individual person, but several people like the Phantom. Or if he's a spirit possessing other bodies.
      My guess is that he possesses dead crooks, but still looks just like he did before. What little we can see of his face always seems to look the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
        My guess is that he possesses dead crooks, but still looks just like he did before. What little we can see of his face always seems to look the same.
        But that is the supposed purpose of the mask in the first place. About all you can really say is that he's a male caucasian with no facial hair and no distinguishing marks or scars. Tonci Zonjic might draw him to look exactly the same in every panel, but with other artists who've drawn the character, who can really say?
        Last edited by pulphero; 08-04-2014, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Here's the cover of Get the Lobster #5 (of 5), out on August 13th. With that contrail in the sky behind the biplane, you never know. The Rocketeer might have just flown by.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Get Lobster #5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	48875

Comment

Here's the cover of Get the Lobster #5 (of 5), out on August 13th. With that contrail in the sky behind the biplane, you never know. The Rocketeer might have just flown by.

[ATTACH]809[/ATTACH]
            *Sigh*... Maybe some day we can see LoJo use HIS biplane. Man, that was a cool plane.

Comment

But that is the supposed purpose of the mask in the first place. About all you can really say is that he's a male caucasian with no facial hair and no distinguishing marks or scars. Tonci Zonjic might draw him to look exactly the same in every panel, but with other artists who've drawn the character, who can really say?
              What do you think of the other artists who have worked on LoJo besides Zonjic? I think that most of them have been pretty good, but I don't like Kevin Nowlan's art.

Comment

*Sigh*... Maybe some day we can see LoJo use HIS biplane. Man, that was a cool plane.
                And isn't it interesting that he's always dressed as if he's ready to hop into the pilot's seat at a moment's notice?
                Leather jacket? Check.
                Leather flying helmet? Check.
                Goggles? Check.

Comment

What do you think of the other artists who have worked on LoJo besides Zonjic? I think that most of them have been pretty good, but I don't like Kevin Nowlan's art.
                  I don't remember anything in particular about Jason Armstrong (The Iron Prometheus) or Sebastian Fuimara (A Scent of Lotus), but I guess I didn't DISlike them or I would remember that. But I LOVE the art of Wilfredo Torres (The Prayer of Neferu, The Shadow Year One). And Kevin Nowlan (Satan Smells A Rat) is a Modern Master! (...and has his own book in the comic artist spotlight series of the same name published by TwoMorrows. Trust me, these guys know what they're doing.)

What I want to know is who's this Mignola guy who seems to do a lot of the covers?

Comment

I don't remember anything in particular about Jason Armstrong (The Iron Prometheus) or Sebastian Fuimara (A Scent of Lotus), but I guess I didn't DISlike them or I would remember that. But I LOVE the art of Wilfredo Torres (The Prayer of Neferu, The Shadow Year One).
                    Jason Armstrong and Sebastian Fiamura are both good, but I think Zonjic is the best Lobster Johnson illustrator.
                    I really like Torres' art on Shadow Year One, but his work in Prayer of Neferu was only OK. Maybe he's just a lot better at drawing the Shadow.
                    Last edited by Lobster Johnson; 07-19-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Jason Armstrong and Sebastian Fiamura are both OK, but nowhere near as good as Zonjic.
                      I really like Torres' art on Shadow Year One, but his work in Prayer of Neferu was only OK. Maybe he's just a lot better at drawing the Shadow.
                      I'm still of the opinion that Tonci Zonjic is THE Lobster artist, and would love to see him handle the art on all future Lobster stories. I know he's not the fastest artist, but I'm willing to wait. I'm hoping he'll stick with LJ right up to the last adventure, his disappearance in 1939. I don't mind the occasional one-shot or 2-issue story by another artist if he really needs the time to catch up, but all the major arcs (4 issues or more) should be handled by Tonci. The shorter stories can be collected in a trade paperback whenever there are enough to fill one.

Comment

I'm still of the opinion that Tonci Zonjic is THE Lobster artist, and would love to see him handle the art on all future Lobster stories. I know he's not the fastest artist, but I'm willing to wait. I'm hoping he'll stick with LJ right up to the last adventure, his disappearance in 1939. I don't mind the occasional one-shot or 2-issue story by another artist if he really needs the time to catch up, but all the major arcs (4 issues or more) should be handled by Tonci. The shorter stories can be collected in a trade paperback whenever there are enough to fill one.
                        Definitely. Nobody is better at drawing LoJo than Zonjic.

Comment

Possibly, but in Conqueror Worm, after the bad guy corpse gets up and becomes the Lobster, he loses his beard. Before he got up and somehow became the Lobster, he had long gray hair and a beard. The Lobster, looking as he normally does, is shown throughout that book.

Comment

Possibly, but in Conqueror Worm, after the bad guy corpse gets up and becomes the Lobster, he loses his beard. Before he got up and somehow became the Lobster, he had long gray hair and a beard. The Lobster, looking as he normally does, is shown throughout that book.
                            It does make you wonder why he needs a mask in the first place, other than the fact that it's a standard comic book schtick. Logically, the only characters that should need to wear a mask are those with some other life outside of their crimefighting activities, in order to keep anyone from connecting the two. The Lobster seems to be the Lobster all the time. He never really seems to need to be anywhere else but where he is, doing what he's doing. Maybe the mask is just a misdirection. Maybe it's really the goggles keeping people (mostly his confederates, I think) from noticing his glassy-eyed stare that could never pass for normal.

Comment

It does make you wonder why he needs a mask in the first place, other than the fact that it's a standard comic book schtick. Logically, the only characters that should need to wear a mask are those with some other life outside of their crimefighting activities, in order to keep anyone from connecting the two. The Lobster seems to be the Lobster all the time. He never really seems to need to be anywhere else but where he is, doing what he's doing. Maybe the mask is just a misdirection. Maybe it's really the goggles keeping people (mostly his confederates, I think) from noticing his glassy-eyed stare that could never pass for normal.
                              The reason he needs the mask and the goggles is so that we can have awesome panels like the one at the end of The Burning Hand #1.

Comment

Although I haven't read the novel, I've heard that in Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory his goggles are said to allow him to see in the dark and enhance his regular vision too. The novels aren't in-continuity, so that might not be true for the version of LoJo seen in the comics.

Comment

Working...
                                X