Lobster Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    It does make you wonder why he needs a mask in the first place, other than the fact that it's a standard comic book schtick. Logically, the only characters that should need to wear a mask are those with some other life outside of their crimefighting activities, in order to keep anyone from connecting the two. The Lobster seems to be the Lobster all the time. He never really seems to need to be anywhere else but where he is, doing what he's doing. Maybe the mask is just a misdirection. Maybe it's really the goggles keeping people (mostly his confederates, I think) from noticing his glassy-eyed stare that could never pass for normal.
    Besides the fact that it possibly enhances his vision, I can think of several other reasons why he would wear a mask. The first is that the mask is scary to criminals. At the end of The Burning Hand #1, the crook is terrified of the two goggles glowing in the dark. The mask also adds mystery. Crooks might not be as scared of an enemy whose face they can see, because that way they know that he's human.

Comment

The Lobster will have appeared 15 years ago tomorrow! Make sure to celebrate our hero's birthday!

Comment

Happy birthday Lobster Johnson!

Comment

Killer in my Skull review

Since it's been 15 years since Killer in my Skull was first released as a backup feature in Hellboy: Box Full of Evil #1, I thought I'd review the first appearance of LoJo.
          SPOILERS AHEAD

The comic begins with the police investigating a murder that took place in a windowless room with only one entrance, which happened to be locked at the time of the murder. Even stranger, the victim appeared to have been crushed by a piece of furniture that would be very difficult to move.
          While the police puzzle over the scene, two men approach. One of them is hidden under a trenchcoat and fedora, but two glowing lenses can be seen. After the detective who seems to be in charge kicks the other cops out, The Lobster sheds the trenchcoat and hat. After searching the room, they find a picture of several men, some of whom have been murdered in similar fashion. One of the men hasn't been killed yet, and Lobster suspects that he may have had something to do with the murders.
          After locating the man's apartment, LoJo, his assistant Bob, and the detective accuse the man of murder. It is explained that he's been using telekinetic energy to control the heavy objects. After Lobster tells the man to turn himself over to the detective or to "face the harsher justice of the Lobster's claw" the man chooses to kill himself rather than be captured. Somehow, his brain survives and begins giving off telekinetic energy, which threatens to overload the device Lobster has to keep the energy at bay. After a short battle, The Lobster defeats the brain, tells the detective to destroy all the evidence, and the story ends.

Writing: The story, like every Mignola comic, is very well-written. The story moves along at a brisk pace and establishes the character of Lobster Johnson while keeping him mysterious.
          Art: The art is only OK. It seems to me like the artist was trying to imitate Mike Mignola's style and not doing a great job of it. Overall, the art is decent, but it doesn't add much to the story.
          Overall: 8.0 out of 10

That wraps up this review. Hopefully we'll have 15 more years of Lobster Johnson comics (as long as they stay as good as they are now)!

Comment

Get the Lobster #5

Great new issue, with an amazing last panel. Lots and lots of action this issue.

Comment

Geez. The reviews of this issue have been pretty rough... all of them that I've read have given it the equivalent of a 3 out of 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
                Geez. The reviews of this issue have been pretty rough... all of them that I've read have given it the equivalent of a 3 out of 5.
                Where's this? This is mind-boggling to me. I'd give it a 6 out of 5 if I could. Each new story arc seems to get better, each new issue I seem to read a little closer and with more attentiveness. Tonci Zonjic just continues to amaze me the more I study his work, he has total command of that page, and has obviously put a lot of thought into every aspect of the art. #5 seemed to have even more of a cinematic quality to the storytelling, but that just makes me want to go back, and re-read them all, because I'm sure I must have missed so much. How can this possibly get only "3 out of 5"? That's insanity. The great action sequence car chase scene leading into the 2-panel flashback, that deserves 3 points all by itself. And that's only like 1/4 of the issue, the first 6 pages! Come to think of it, I might have to withdraw that 6 out of 5, this has got to be at least a 9 out of 5. It's really strange. I hardly ever get too excited about a comic book any more, even when it's admittedly, a really good comic. But for some reason, LOBSTER is an exception to that. I'm kind of happy I waited until today to read it now, because I was just too busy earlier this week to get to it, but today I had the time to linger as long as I wanted on each page.

The tiny nuggets of information about Lobster himself are embedded in each issue. If that last panel wasn't making some kind of comment (as well as his total lack of any sense of self-preservation in the confrontation with Waxman on the zeppelin) about LJ's supernatural ability to survive death I don't know what to think. "You're going to be OK...!" ... I KNOW. And, of course, despite the bleeding, you think back to the scene with Waxman trying to threaten LJ, and you realize, there was never the tiniest iota of doubt in his mind, was there. This is great stuff! I just loved the inexorable pursuit scene, as you can see the panic building in Waxman on every page. And nothing will halt or deter the Lobster as he moves ... slowly ... closer ... and closer ... to his prey... then he jumps! What about the scene that flashed back to SATAN SMELLS A RAT -- that looked just like a movie sequence, with the dissolve into memory, and back.

So many small but notable things going on in this last issue. Was that the ORIGINAL (pirate) Lobster's mummified "claw" in the box that Lorre (sorry, I forgot his name, but he IS Peter Lorre) got...? Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia's brief appearance on radio station WNYC, pulling the police off LJ's tail... but it looks like he'll have to deal with Agent Eckerd of the D.O.I. before he knows it.

Cindy Tynan only appeared in the one panel in long-shot from outside her window, but I just know she's going be getting a bigger part soon. I liked her newspaper article.

Oh, I can almost see it on the movie poster now --
                In small caps, evenly spaced across the top of a black-background poster...
                ... KILLER ... HERO ... GHOST ...
                Below this, the line...
                JUSTICE IS BIGGER THAN A GUN
                Now, our poster is mostly all black, except for this text at the top, and a central image of the Lobster facing head-on
                (head-to-knees shot [fades behind main logo font below], arms down, at very slight angles away from his body, holding twin .45 automatic pistols)
                Lobster image is BACKLIT (nearly oval aura, in blue light) to separate the character's black leather outfit from background,
                figure taking up approximately 25% of the poster face; plenty of black around top and sides of figure.
                Just enough highlighting on the Lobster's front, to indicate details of mask, and lower half of face. Goggles (brilliant metallic orange, reflective). We can make out detail of blue claw symbol on jacket front. All background color black to edges.
                Below this, our movie logo, in largest type size:
                LOBSTER
                *JOHNSON*

Lobster has so few lines of dialogue, but each one is such as great nugget. I wonder how Mignola and Arcudi split the writing chores. That's some pretty evocative prose for a newspaper article. She's quite the writer (but is it Arcudi's dialogue or Mignola's?)
                Last edited by pulphero; 08-17-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Hey, check this theory out for clues. I think Mignola and Arcudi are being both obvious and subtle at the same time. In Cindy Tynan's article in this issue, she describes the Lobster as a killer, a hero, and a ghost.

Now, think about this. We know now about the pirate captain called the Lobster. And what is a pirate but a killer?
                  Then as a pulp vigilante, LoJo is both a killer, and a hero.
                  And then, if we look back (yet, from the Lobster's POV, paradoxically forward) to the stories that appeared in HELLBOY,
                  those were the first to establish the character as a killer of evil, a hero to Hellboy, and (we find out) a ghost.

Now, do you think Mignola and Arcudi are just being playful making a little circular reference here, or is Cindy definitely on to something, and whether she knows it or not, Mignola is letting US know it?

Comment

Where's this? This is mind-boggling to me. I'd give it a 6 out of 5 if I could.
                    Here's a list of reviews: http://www.comicbookroundup.com/comi...-the-lobster/5
                    I cannot understand giving this series a 3 out of 5. Get The Lobster was not only my favorite Mignolaverse comic, it was one of my favorite comics ever.

It's really strange. I hardly ever get too excited about a comic book any more, even when it's admittedly, a really good comic. But for some reason, LOBSTER is an exception to that. I'm kind of happy I waited until today to read it now, because I was just too busy earlier this week to get to it, but today I had the time to linger as long as I wanted on each page.
                    This was actually the one comic I've been the most excited for, ever. I believe I said something similar to that this last Wednesday while eagerly digging through my pull list.

So many small but notable things going on in this last issue. Was that the ORIGINAL (pirate) Lobster's mummified "claw" in the box that Lorre (sorry, I forgot his name, but he IS Peter Lorre) got...?
                    I think Wald's assistant's name is Mr. Isog. Is it just me, or does it seem like Isog is a lot smarter than Wald?

Comment

I think Wald's assistant's name is Mr. Isog. Is it just me, or does it seem like Isog is a lot smarter than Wald?
                      It's not so obvious in this issue. But I thought it was pretty clearly made a point in a few of their earlier interactions. After all, he is the first one to recognize the importance of Cindy Tynan's journalistic research, beyond just selling a few newspapers. That's one of the things I REALLY like about this series, the subtle background things that you know are leading to further developments, but you can't quite figure how or where they're going exactly. Given that Isog is a lot smarter than Wald, there's a good chance he's got his own agenda and is playing a longer game, or at least that seems to be the impression I get. He's quiet, sort of the kind of guy who is overlooked and not thought about too much, other than for his value in the services he provides. If he outlives his boss I guess that would confirm it. Isog doesn't really "fit in" with the bootlegger picture, if you know what I mean, he's obviously been recruited or made his services available (possibly even... sent?), to what end I'm not sure. One thing that seems sure, there's something OFF about the mysterious Mr. Isog. He's not like the typical crooked lawyer or accountant type that associates with gangsters. We know nothing about him, or his day job. He's just an "advisor" and "researcher" of some sort, maybe even some sort of underworld version of a P.I. What kind of name is Isog, anyway? He's not local, there's something vaguely foreign about him (and I think that's why Peter Lorre got hired for a lot of the parts he played). Could "ISOG" be some sort of acronym or anagram?
                      Last edited by pulphero; 08-18-2014, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Here's a list of reviews: http://www.comicbookroundup.com/comi...-the-lobster/5
                        I cannot understand giving this series a 3 out of 5. Get The Lobster was not only my favorite Mignolaverse comic, it was one of my favorite comics ever.
                        Patrick Hays of SciFiPulse obviously "gets" it, he gave it a 10. The one that's most is the Multiversity review - you'd think these guys, of anyone, would have the context to appreciate it. "Pretty average", really? OK, they've set a high standard with LJ up to now, but "average"??? That's just so...

Even without the context of where it fits in the series as a whole, just taken as a stand-alone issue, this one was outstanding. From the POV of action, pacing, the way it built, character interaction... and this might be one of (if not) THE most Lobster-centric issues ever. I mean, he is the star of this particular chapter, no two ways about it, and that's not even the case with an "average" issue of LJ. Go back, flip through the issue, read all the Lobster's dialogue (shouldn't take 5 minutes) -- I mean, come ON! This guy has better action-hero one-liners (and more to the point) than Schwarzenegger did in the 1980s! But it doesn't make him sound wise-ass or funny, it makes him scary and awesome. (Yeah, it's pretty clear he has no sense of humor.) A man of few words, carefully chosen. It's VERY hard to do characterization with such sparse dialogue, but here it is.

If I had to pick nits, the only thing I felt was lacking is that Cindy wasn't really in it, but that's just me - I admit I am starting to like her a little more with each appearance. But seriously, where was the ROOM for it here? The issue would have had to be at least 30 pages in order to work her in, in any kind of significant scene. It probably would have thrown off the pacing too, unless they could have worked it in right before the last scene on the beach somewhere. Come to think of it, in a way she WAS in it, since we got to read her article, and what she had to say about the Lobster seemed pretty important, too. Coming right before the last scene where the Lobster himself gets the final word, it made for a nice one-two punch to wrap it all up.

AVERAGE? Unbelievable. They knocked one out of the park here. That's MY review.
                        Last edited by pulphero; 08-18-2014, 03:47 AM.

Comment

The reviews of the last two LoJo comics at Multiversity seemed to really factor the 2 month wait between issues into the overall review. Although the wait was inconvenient, I don't mind waiting two months for this because its completely awesome.
                          One thing that bothered me about the review was when they discussed two of the big scenes in the issue, the opening chase and then the battle on the zeppelin. One of them said something about how car chases and zeppelins have been used better in previous LoJo stories. I don't think that is true. The first issue of Get the Lobster had the mind-controlled wrestlers in a vehicle, but LoJo himself wasn't chasing them in a car, like he was this issue. And Caput Mortuum had some great scenes on the zeppelin, but none of them took place on top of it.
                          Another thing in their review that I disagreed with was when they said "the comic could have had no words and been absolutely fine". Although Zonjic is one of the best illustrators in comics, I think the hard-boiled dialogue is one of the best parts of the comic. Without the line "Justice is bigger than a gun", this issue wouldn't be as good.
                          Usually, I more-or-less agree with Multiversity's reviews. This time, I did not.
                          Last edited by Lobster Johnson; 08-18-2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Have you read any other work by Zonjic? I've heard Who is Jake Ellis is good, but I haven't heard of him working on anything other than that and LoJo.

Comment

Have you read any other work by Zonjic? I've heard Who is Jake Ellis is good, but I haven't heard of him working on anything other than that and LoJo.
                              I'll have to see if I can find a copy of the trade.

Comment

On Saturday my LCBS had it's annual Creators Cookout. Fun, food and a few creators signing things. Not to mention the $1 back issues and 20% off almost everything.

I usually use the sale to check out a few titles/characters people have been recomending. Picked up a couple of Lobster comics (2&5 of Burning Hand). Very enjoyable. I'll be ordering the first couple of TPBs. Also picked up a couple other books, Black Beetle, DHP and more. Black Beetle is next on the list to check out.
                                Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                                http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X