Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lobster Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    On Saturday my LCBS had it's annual Creators Cookout. Fun, food and a few creators signing things. Not to mention the $1 back issues and 20% off almost everything.

    I usually use the sale to check out a few titles/characters people have been recomending. Picked up a couple of Lobster comics (2&5 of Burning Hand). Very enjoyable. I'll be ordering the first couple of TPBs. Also picked up a couple other books, Black Beetle, DHP and more. Black Beetle is next on the list to check out.
    Not putting Dynamite down when it comes to pulp characters. They do publish more of them than anyone else, and have the "big names" in this genre. But for my own entertainment, I find LOBSTER JOHNSON and BLACK BEETLE to be the best pulp characters recently published. For DE, the Matt Wagner and Mark Waid stuff is very close, but they also have the advantage of having the "marquee titles". CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT is another DH title I find to be right up there with the better DE pulp titles.

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      Not putting Dynamite down when it comes to pulp characters. They do publish more of them than anyone else, and have the "big names" in this genre. But for my own entertainment, I find LOBSTER JOHNSON and BLACK BEETLE to be the best pulp characters recently published. For DE, the Matt Wagner and Mark Waid stuff is very close, but they also have the advantage of having the "marquee titles". CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT is another DH title I find to be right up there with the better DE pulp titles.
      I agree. I think that Lobster is better than any comic being published now, and possibly ever. And I like Black Beetle a lot too. But I continue to enjoy the DE books. In fact, the best DE books are just as good as Black Beetle is.

      Comment


      • #78
        Read BB No Way Out #4 last night. Looks liek tomorrow I'm adding LJ & BB to my list and ordering the first collections of each.
        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
          Read BB No Way Out #4 last night. Looks liek tomorrow I'm adding LJ & BB to my list and ordering the first collections of each.
          I hate to say I told you so... but I did. Pulp heroes... conquering the world ONE reader at a time. Well, at least it's easier than getting people to go to the dentist/
          Last edited by pulphero; 08-20-2014, 12:01 PM.

          Comment


          • #80
            Mignolaverse releases for 8/20/14

            Today's Hellboy universe releases were Witchfinder and BPRD. Witchfinder was OK, but had very little action and seemed to make little progress. Tyler Crook's art was fantastic though; I hope he stays on Witchfinder for a while.
            BPRD was a solid read, as always.

            Comment


            • #81
              Ordered the first TPB of Lobster Johnson when I stopped at my LCBS. The store manager (who has an incredible memory) gave me a funny look and walked over to shelf where they have books they're holding for customers and handed my LJ Smells a Rat. I'd ordered it but they'd never put a slip in my hold box. So it was a good example of the customer service the usually supply (remembering that they had ordered it), and a rare example of bad customer service. I'll pick it up next week when the first one comes in (I have a 20% off coupon)
              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                Ordered the first TPB of Lobster Johnson when I stopped at my LCBS. The store manager (who has an incredible memory) gave me a funny look and walked over to shelf where they have books they're holding for customers and handed my LJ Smells a Rat. I'd ordered it but they'd never put a slip in my hold box. So it was a good example of the customer service the usually supply (remembering that they had ordered it), and a rare example of bad customer service. I'll pick it up next week when the first one comes in (I have a 20% off coupon)
                But you know what, when you asked he remembered you. Some stores, well, you know, there's different people there working different days and hours, and the guy who placed the order isn't always the guy who unpacked it when it came. Miscommunications do happen, and they do deal with a lot of requests, so occasionally things might get misplaced or someone might forget who ordered what. Sometimes a gentle reminder is all that's really needed. Being nice pays off too, in the long run.

                What does seem a little strange to me is why would they put a slip in your hold box instead of just the book (I could see if it were some odd-sized thing).
                Last edited by pulphero; 08-21-2014, 04:20 PM.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  What does seem a little strange to me is why would they put a slip in your hold box instead of just the book (I could see if it were some odd-sized thing).
                  Joe is great with this kind of thing. I usually don't even have to ask for my stuff, he knows my box and grabs it. I think the thing with the slip of paper has to do with the sapce they have for holds, not the size of the item. They have half of a good sized 'bookcase' for TPBs etc. that people have on hold. By and large Comix Connection does GREAT customer service.
                  Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                  Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                  http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                    Joe is great with this kind of thing. I usually don't even have to ask for my stuff, he knows my box and grabs it. I think the thing with the slip of paper has to do with the sapce they have for holds, not the size of the item. They have half of a good sized 'bookcase' for TPBs etc. that people have on hold. By and large Comix Connection does GREAT customer service.
                    True enough. Every LCS has their own setup when it comes to pull & hold service, and the amount of space available to devote to it. But that's dependent on whether the space reserved for pull & hold subs is like a normal comic bin (same as you might be used to seeing for back issues) with index headers to separate the subscribers, or some sort of wall 'sorting bin' unit, with identically-sized slots. Depending on the number of subscribers, maybe a simple ordinary bookshelf with neat piles arranged across the shelves from left to right. I've even seen a shop using a office filing cabinet system. At my LCS, if it's a subscriber's request, it just goes in his box (which is just a comic bin with index cards to keep subscribers separated), unless (as noted) it's some odd-sized thing that doesn't fit the dimensions of a normal comic book. The thickness of any subscriber's stack is another issue. If it gets too big in that dimension, it might need to be removed from the normal box (to make space for everyone else's stuff) until there's a little more "breathing room" in there. Then they have another bookshelf space for "special requests" from customers who are NOT subscribers, and don't otherwise have a box. If you get anything odd-sized in your subscription or by request, it'll wind up there, with a sticky note or piece of paper sticking out of the book to ID the recipient. Joe's system seems to involve an additional level, but I guess it's a system that he must have figured out works, for him (at least, most of the time).
                    Last edited by pulphero; 08-22-2014, 05:17 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory

                      I finally read the Lobster Johnson novel. It was OK, but the Lobster seems much more suited to comics than to novels. It's worth reading, but nowhere near the level of awesomeness the comics are at.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        I just read WHO IS JAKE ELLIS? by Nathan Edmondson and Tonci Zonjic. It's quite good (Surprisingly, as I didn't really care for Edmondson's PUNISHER for Marvel). There is a sequel, WHERE IS JAKE ELLIS?, and I'll be trying to get hold of a copy of that as well. The story is very difficult to describe, without giving anything away. It's probably best read cold, like I did. I'll leave you with the brief teaser from the back cover to give you a taste.

                        "THE VOICE IN MY HEAD HAS DEVELOPED A MIND OF HIS OWN."

                        Jon Moore is an untouchable mercenary spy with a unique asset that no one else can see: JAKE ELLIS.

                        When everything falls apart, and Jon goes on the run, the only one who can protect him is Jake.

                        And no one knows who JAKE ELLIS is...

                        Not even Jon.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          And... this is frustrating. There doesn't seem to be a collected edition of the sequel, WHERE IS JAKE ELLIS? The first one ended on an ambiguous note with many questions left unanswered. No idea if the second series is supposed to wrap anything up. There seems to have been a gap of a year and a half between issues #3 and 4, and apparently #5 hasn't been published yet. The first series comprised 5 chapters, so I don't know if the second still follows that pattern. Looks like I'll have to be patient for a while.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                            I just read WHO IS JAKE ELLIS? by Nathan Edmondson and Tonci Zonjic. It's quite good (Surprisingly, as I didn't really care for Edmondson's PUNISHER for Marvel). There is a sequel, WHERE IS JAKE ELLIS?, and I'll be trying to get hold of a copy of that as well. The story is very difficult to describe, without giving anything away. It's probably best read cold, like I did. I'll leave you with the brief teaser from the back cover to give you a taste.
                            I thought it was good too. I wasn't expecting to like the writing (Edmondson's Grifter was not one of my favorites) but both the writing and the art were very good.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Just finished BPRD: King of Fear yesterday, and it features the end of the Lobster Johnson saga (i.e., with Lobster's ghost). It was a good ending to the whole thing.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Just read LB: Iron Prometheus. I'm hooked. I'll be calling my LCBS in 13 hours and ordering the next one.
                                Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                                http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X