Lobster Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
    Just finished BPRD: King of Fear yesterday, and it features the end of the Lobster Johnson saga (i.e., with Lobster's ghost). It was a good ending to the whole thing.
    I want to start reading BPRD, but I want to read them in continuity order. I'll be ordering the trades for BPRD 1946, 1947, and 1948. Is there a BPRD 1945 (which would be right after Hellboy is found) story somewhere? Are there any other stories that take place (other than minor flashbacks) before or in-between those? I've already read the original Hellboy story, so I know the origin. Can you point me somewhere that will give me a chronological listing of when various events take place in the Mignolaverse? I already have the Hellboy Companion, so that gives a nice summary, but I need to be able to place the TPs in some sort of logical reading order, so I need some kind of list that references the TP titles. I realize it's not all clear-cut because you have those stories that have flashbacks to earlier events within the framework of a story taking place in the "now", but any kind of clues you can give to help put the reading of the trades in some kind of order as far as things taking place prior to the ongoing series would be helpful. When do the flashbacks in KING OF FEAR take place, relative to BPRD 1946-48? Also, what's the difference between the regular BPRD series and HELL ON EARTH (or was that just a title change somewhere along the line for the ongoing series)?
    Last edited by pulphero; 09-19-2014, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      I want to start reading BPRD, but I want to read them in continuity order. I'll be ordering the trades for BPRD 1946, 1947, and 1948. Is there a BPRD 1945 (which would be right after Hellboy is found) story somewhere? Are there any other stories that take place (other than minor flashbacks) before or in-between those? I've already read the original Hellboy story, so I know the origin. Can you point me somewhere that will give me a chronological listing of when various events take place in the Mignolaverse? I already have the Hellboy Companion, so that gives a nice summary, but I need to be able to place the TPs in some sort of logical reading order, so I need some kind of list that references the TP titles. I realize it's not all clear-cut because you have those stories that have flashbacks to earlier events within the framework of a story taking place in the "now", but any kind of clues you can give to help put the reading of the trades in some kind of order as far as things taking place prior to the ongoing series would be helpful. When do the flashbacks in KING OF FEAR take place, relative to BPRD 1946-48? Also, what's the difference between the regular BPRD series and HELL ON EARTH (or was that just a title change somewhere along the line for the ongoing series)?
      Here's a link to a great chart about which order to read the Hellboy/BPRD stuff in: http://multiversitycomics.com/specia...reading-order/

The 1940's BPRD stuff starts at 1946, but the SledgeHammer trade is set in 1944 and features some of the same characters. Some of the Hellboy stories feature him as a kid (such as The Midnight Circus) and those are set in the 40's too.
      I think the King of Fear story is set completely in the present, with Lobster's ghost helping the BPRD.
      Hell on Earth is just a title change, not a different thing.

Comment

Here's a link to a great chart about which order to read the Hellboy/BPRD stuff in: http://multiversitycomics.com/specia...reading-order/

The 1940's BPRD stuff starts at 1946, but the SledgeHammer trade is set in 1944 and features some of the same characters. Some of the Hellboy stories feature him as a kid (such as The Midnight Circus) and those are set in the 40's too.
        I think the King of Fear story is set completely in the present, with Lobster's ghost helping the BPRD.
        Hell on Earth is just a title change, not a different thing.
        Thanks, Mr. Johnson. I've been to the multiversitycomics site several times, but I don't think this is really what I'm looking for either. Basically, it's telling me I should be reading 4 volumes of BPRD: Plague of Frogs (each of THOSE consisting of three of the TPs) before I read 1946, 1947, 1948. At the moment, I'm not even concerned about how the events of BPRD relate to events happening in the HELLBOY series. I mean, yeah, *obviously* you could just read the collected editions in the order that the original comics they're collecting came out (which is easy enough to discover). Of course there are other flashbacks and stories set in the past of the Mignolaverse (like LOBSTER or SLEDGEHAMMER), but I don't really need to read all of those before I start BPRD, I just want a list of events that involved the BPRD (and where they're collected in TP) prior to the 1990s (when the series began, taking place in the present), as opposed to Hellboy as a separate character, although I guess if any ABE SAPIEN solo stories fit into that past history I'd like to know that as well; HELLBOY I'll read separately.

What I'm hoping for here is a list of BPRD stories or flashback stories within a story (that take place in the past, relative to when they were published), in order of the sequence of events as they occurred to the BPRD. Once you get to the present, it's not too difficult to figure things out relative to any of the individual series.

Comment

In an recent interview on Comic Book Resources with Kevin Nowlan and Scott Allie, it was announced that Kevin Nowlan will come back to the Lobster Johnson series for an issue next year.
          I'm pretty excited about this, as I like Kevin Nowlan's art style a lot more than I used to.

Comment

In an recent interview on Comic Book Resources with Kevin Nowlan and Scott Allie, it was announced that Kevin Nowlan will come back to the Lobster Johnson series for an issue next year.
            I'm pretty excited about this, as I like Kevin Nowlan's art style a lot more than I used to.
            NEXT year?! And it's only April...! Geez, that's a long time to wait between story arcs!!!

Comment

way to long to wait
              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                way to long to wait
                I've about given up hope that BLACK BEETLE: NECROLOGUE will ever be published, now.

Comment

It was announced the other day that Lobster Johnson: A Chain Forged of Life will be out on July 29th, with a cover by Tonci Zonjic (not sure who is drawing the interior of the book, though).

Comment

It was announced the other day that Lobster Johnson: A Chain Forged of Life will be out on July 29th, with a cover by Tonci Zonjic (not sure who is drawing the interior of the book, though).
                    Guess we'll find out when it's solicited next month, then. Weird that they didn't announce that one earlier, and Nowlan's already working on one for next year.

Comment

• And here's that solicitation now:

Santa held hostage!
                      Lobster Johnson: A Chain Forged in Life One-Shot
                      Mike Mignola (W), John Arcudi (W), Troy Nixey (A), Kevin Nowlan (A/C), Dave Stewart (C), and Tonci Zonjic (Cover)
                      On sale July 29
                      FC, 32 pages
                      $3.50
                      One-shot
                      Santa is in trouble!
                      Santa was taken hostage after witnessing a hostile robbery and a man’s death. Hidden away in a mountain cabin, will the Lobster be able to find Santa and save Christmas?
                      • Kevin Nowlan returns to Lobster Johnson!
                      • Troy Nixey joins the Mignolaverse!

So it IS Kevin Nowlan, and it's THIS year, not next year. Odd time to be releasing a Christmas story ( -- in July?), but what the heck, I'll take what I can get.

Comment

• How did everyone like the new issue?

Comment

• It was different but I did like it.
                          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• I really liked the issue. I had never seen Troy Nixey's art before, but he has a very unique style. I look forward to the Batman: The Doom that Came to Gotham collection with his art and Mike Mignola's writing coming out this December.

Comment

• Today the Lobster first appeared 16 years ago in Hellboy: Box Full of Evil #1! Happy birthday Lobster Johnson!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
                                How did everyone like the new issue?
                                I've never been a huge fan of most Christmas stories featuring adventure-type or superhero characters. More often the stories just seem like an exploitative way to wring money out of the consumer, and it's the good ones that are rare. That said, I usually try to put myself in the spirit of the thing going into it. That's a lot easier to do a couple of weeks before Christmas than it is when you're sweltering in August, and turning up the A/C to try to stay comfortable. Why even release this at this time of year?

I'd honestly have to rate this as my least-favorite LJ one-shot or 2-issue story. As Christmas stories go, it's far from the worst I've ever read, but it's just that previous LJ stories have set the bar pretty high. I wonder why they bothered to have Kevin Nowlan draw the first and last page of the story? It's not like that's a different framework from the body of the story, or something... just seems a little weird.

Comment

Working...
                                X