Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lobster Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    I've never been a huge fan of most Christmas stories featuring adventure-type or superhero characters. More often the stories just seem like an exploitative way to wring money out of the consumer, and it's the good ones that are rare. That said, I usually try to put myself in the spirit of the thing going into it. That's a lot easier to do a couple of weeks before Christmas than it is when you're sweltering in August, and turning up the A/C to try to stay comfortable. Why even release this at this time of year?

    I'd honestly have to rate this as my least-favorite LJ one-shot or 2-issue story. As Christmas stories go, it's far from the worst I've ever read, but it's just that previous LJ stories have set the bar pretty high. I wonder why they bothered to have Kevin Nowlan draw the first and last page of the story? It's not like that's a different framework from the body of the story, or something... just seems a little weird.
    I'm not sure why Kevin Nowlan drew the first and last pages. I did think the shift in art styles between the pages drawn by Nowlan and the ones drawn by Troy Nixey created a neat effect (particularly in how the art had a lot of orange from the lights and fire in the pages drawn by Nixey and Dave Stewart, while Nowlan's pages had a colder color scheme, with more blue).

    Comment


    • Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      I've never been a huge fan of most Christmas stories featuring adventure-type or superhero characters. More often the stories just seem like an exploitative way to wring money out of the consumer, and it's the good ones that are rare. That said, I usually try to put myself in the spirit of the thing going into it. That's a lot easier to do a couple of weeks before Christmas than it is when you're sweltering in August, and turning up the A/C to try to stay comfortable. Why even release this at this time of year?

      I'd honestly have to rate this as my least-favorite LJ one-shot or 2-issue story. As Christmas stories go, it's far from the worst I've ever read, but it's just that previous LJ stories have set the bar pretty high. I wonder why they bothered to have Kevin Nowlan draw the first and last page of the story? It's not like that's a different framework from the body of the story, or something... just seems a little weird.
      What did you think of Troy Nixey's art?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
        What did you think of Troy Nixey's art?
        Acceptable, generally speaking... but he's no Tonci Zonjic by any stretch of the imagination. Nor any Kevin Nowlan, for that matter, which is why I'm curious they felt they had to wrap the story in Nowlan artwork ...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          Acceptable, generally speaking... but he's no Tonci Zonjic by any stretch of the imagination. Nor any Kevin Nowlan, for that matter, which is why I'm curious they felt they had to wrap the story in Nowlan artwork ...
          I like Nixey's work about as much as Nowlan's, perhaps even a little more. Zonjic remains the #1 Lobster illustrator, though.

          Comment


          • Lobster Johnson: The Glass Mantis was recently announced. It will be out on December 30. Written by John Arcudi and Mike Mignola, drawn by Toni Fejzula, and the cover is by Tonci Zonjic. Here's a link to the full information:http://www.multiversitycomics.com/ne...-news-09-2015/

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
              Lobster Johnson: The Glass Mantis was recently announced. It will be out on December 30. Written by John Arcudi and Mike Mignola, drawn by Toni Fejzula, and the cover is by Tonci Zonjic. Here's a link to the full information:http://www.multiversitycomics.com/ne...-news-09-2015/
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Lobster_Johnson-The_Glass_Mantis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	49054

              cover image

              Comment


              • I wonder why the long hiatus between miniseries by Tonci Zonjic. Is he working on something else?

                Comment


                • What did you guys think of The Glass Mantis?
                  I thought it was phenomenal. One of the best LoJo one-shots, in my opinion.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
                    What did you guys think of The Glass Mantis?
                    I thought it was phenomenal. One of the best LoJo one-shots, in my opinion.
                    It would be interesting if BŁyŁk's daughter stayed around to work with the Lobster and his crew.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                      It would be interesting if BŁyŁk's daughter stayed around to work with the Lobster and his crew.
                      It could be fun. Good story with an interesting end. The cover didn't really have anything to do with the story, but I liked it.
                      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

                      Comment


                      • Was checking out Lobster on the Dark Horse site and a Witchfinder TBP and an issue of B.P.R.D. came up. is he heavily involved in those stories or is it just a promo or short appearance?

                        Also has anybody checked out the Lobster novel?
                        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                          Was checking out Lobster on the Dark Horse site and a Witchfinder TBP and an issue of B.P.R.D. came up. is he heavily involved in those stories or is it just a promo or short appearance?

                          Also has anybody checked out the Lobster novel?
                          The Lobster has never appeared in Witchfinder (although the statue from Tony Masso's Finest Hour, the Lobster Dark Horse Presents story, showed up in a Witchfinder DHP story called Beware the Ape).
                          He's shown up in BPRD several times. The first and second BPRD trades each have short stories involving him (the first trade contains Killer in my Skull, his first ever appearance, and the second trade contains the possibly out-of-continuity BPRD: Night Train). He makes longer appearances in BPRD: Killing Ground, BPRD: The Black Goddess, BPRD: King of Fear, and he sort of appears in BPRD: The Warning (it's hard to explain without spoiling the book).
                          I have read the Lobster novel, which was pretty enjoyable. I didn't like it as much as the comics, but it is worth a read. I think it's out of continuity, though.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                            It could be fun. Good story with an interesting end. The cover didn't really have anything to do with the story, but I liked it.

                            Well, the Lobster was standing on the statue seen on the cover on the page where he jumps down and yells "Justice!" He never did use that sword, though. That's a great cover.
                            It was interesting to see Eckerd again after he joined the FBI in Get the Lobster. I imagine his investigation of the Lobster will play a major role in one of the upcoming 5-issue miniseries.
                            BPRD Hell on Earth, Abe Sapien, and Hellboy in Hell are all ending this year, so hopefully Lobster will be coming out more frequently. In case anyone here hadn't heard, Lobster Johnson: The Forgotten Man will be out on March 30, with art by Peter Snejbjerg. Here's the cover, by Tonci Zonjic:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Lobster-Johnson-The-Forgotten-Man.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	49101

                            Comment


                            • Really enjoyed The Glass Mantis, and looking forward to The Forgotten Man (Peter Snejberg is an excellent choice for an artist on LJ).

                              Comment


                              • Great news: Tonci Zonjic will be drawing Metal Monsters of Midtown, a 3 issue miniseries out on May 25th.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_o2dl87u12n1sbnvmro1_1280.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	49116
                                This is gonna be awesome!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X