The Red Panda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Red Panda

Has anyone else here read/listened to any Red Panda stuff? My only experience with the character was the three issue Mask of The Red Panda miniseries. Pulpy, but somewhat lighthearted. More like an old movie serial than dark noir like The Shadow. I'm going to try the radio program soon.
    The comic was good. Decent story and art, but the best part was the banter between Red Panda and his sidekick the Flying Squirrel. Very entertaining.

Hven't listened to it in quite a while and then only a couple of Eps. As I remember it was fun and light hearted. Another Decoder product is Black Jack Justice. Haven't checked it out yet but it sounds to be grittier and more pulp like.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

First lobsters, now pandas. We are definitely past the end of the Top 100 animal totems that evoke archetypal qualities like fear, mystery, strength, swiftness, ferocity, tenaciousness, etc.

It's a very short step to bunnies, ducklings, chickadees, and puppies.

Comment

Ha! Pandas can be powerful. Presented for your enjoyment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zopwj5uUChA

Comment

Ya know, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a trick that only really worked once for me. After that, all the Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters, Pre-teen Dirty Gene Kung Fu Kangaroos and whatnot just dissolve into a blurry miasma. My only real point here is that I didn't think it was particularly original when it was called Kung Fu Panda, so a next-generation ripoff crossbred with a MMORPG isn't really impressing me either.

Don't get me wrong, TMNT was kind of a neat parody of Frank Miller's Daredevil run, that somehow amazingly took on a life of its own. I just don't feel like it's worthy of inspiring an entire genre to follow in its footsteps (I'm sure some ancient pundit, somewhere, must have once made essentially the same observation regarding Superman).

This coming from a guy who likes both the classic "funny animal" genre and its bastard child, the funny animal superhero (fortunately they never became so numerous as to become tedious). But to each his own, I guess. Personally, I liked cartoon animals better when they were funnier, so beyond the Turtles, my tolerance for the "anthropomorphics" is pretty low. However, I can't deny there's money to be made riding on the coat-tails of a cash cow, whatever its species.

I'll probably stick with the pet superheroes, like the Legion of Super-Pets and the Space Canine Patrol Agency. Then on the other end of the spectrum we have Mighty Mouse and Captain Carrot. That middle ground between the two just feels like a slippery slope downhill to me. It didn't bother me so much when Kirby did anthropomorphics in Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth and Destroyer Duck (itself a reaction to Gerber's other duck, Howard). But Kirby and Gerber could get away with a lot that I wouldn't tolerate from lesser talents.

Or maybe it was the revelation that "furries" existed, that put me off the anthropomorphics, I don't know. It's just not my thing, and I don't wanna know about it.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            Ya know, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a trick that only really worked once for me. After that, all the Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters, Pre-teen Dirty Gene Kung Fu Kangaroos and whatnot just dissolve into a blurry miasma. My only real point here is that I didn't think it was particularly original when it was called Kung Fu Panda, so a next-generation ripoff crossbred with a MMORPG isn't really impressing me either.

Don't get me wrong, TMNT was kind of a neat parody of Frank Miller's Daredevil run, that somehow amazingly took on a life of its own. I just don't feel like it's worthy of inspiring an entire genre to follow in its footsteps (I'm sure some ancient pundit, somewhere, must have once made essentially the same observation regarding Superman).

This coming from a guy who likes both the classic "funny animal" genre and its bastard child, the funny animal superhero (fortunately they never became so numerous as to become tedious). But to each his own, I guess. Personally, I liked cartoon animals better when they were funnier, so beyond the Turtles, my tolerance for the "anthropomorphics" is pretty low. However, I can't deny there's money to be made riding on the coat-tails of a cash cow, whatever its species.

I'll probably stick with the pet superheroes, like the Legion of Super-Pets and the Space Canine Patrol Agency. Then on the other end of the spectrum we have Mighty Mouse and Captain Carrot. That middle ground between the two just feels like a slippery slope downhill to me. It didn't bother me so much when Kirby did anthropomorphics in Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth and Destroyer Duck (itself a reaction to Gerber's other duck, Howard). But Kirby and Gerber could get away with a lot that I wouldn't tolerate from lesser talents.

Or maybe it was the revelation that "furries" existed, that put me off the anthropomorphics, I don't know. It's just not my thing, and I don't wanna know about it.
            I'm not much of a fan of the whole "Kung-Fu panda turtle hamster" genre either. TMNT was a somewhat clever idea (that doesn't interest me, but I can understand why others would like it) but many of the spin-offs are so tedious and uninspired.
            Last edited by Lobster Johnson; 07-26-2014, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Dude, there's no need to be rude about this. You can have different tastes without being obnoxious about what other people iike. The history of where the Pandaren came from (in 2003) doesn't have anything at all to do with the excellent Kung Fu Panda either, as a cursory Google search will show, but the most important thing I can say here is there is no need to be rude.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                Dude, there's no need to be rude about this. You can have different tastes without being obnoxious about what other people iike. The history of where the Pandaren came from (in 2003) doesn't have anything at all to do with the excellent Kung Fu Panda either, as a cursory Google search will show, but the most important thing I can say here is there is no need to be rude.
                Sorry if I sounded rude; didn't mean to be obnoxious or rude. I actually did enjoy the first Kung-Fu Panda, but I greatly disliked the second one, and that may have tainted the genre in my mind.
                Again, sorry to sound that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
                  Sorry if I sounded rude; didn't mean to be obnoxious or rude. I actually did enjoy the first Kung-Fu Panda, but I greatly disliked the second one, and that may have tainted the genre in my mind.
                  Again, sorry to sound that way.
                  *blush* Actually, I was responding to pulphero with all that (and if I was rude in response, pulphero, I apologize for that) -- mainly stuff like "a next-generation ripoff" and so on.

I haven't seen either of the Kung Fu Panda movies yet, but the TV series is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                    *blush* Actually, I was responding to pulphero with all that (and if I was rude in response, pulphero, I apologize for that) -- mainly stuff like "a next-generation ripoff" and so on.

I haven't seen either of the Kung Fu Panda movies yet, but the TV series is awesome.
                    Whoops. I actually wasn't sure who you were talking to, but I thought it'd be best to apologize just in case.

Comment

Sorry. I guess I am sort of lambasting a whole genre here, but... like I said, to each his own. When you get right down to it, everything's derivative of something, in its own way. Batman's derivative as hell, but it hasn't stopped his juggernaut success, in fact, it's been far more successful than most, if not all, of the things that it was originally derivative of. Apologies if I come off as blunt and brusque about the whole thing. It's nothing personal, it's just my way to be direct about how I feel about stuff. Plus I was kinda tired when I wrote that earlier. I just don't have much interest in the anthropomorphic type cartoons, most CGI cartoons in general, or video games or RPGs. (Irony: this is actually the way that I think they should be making comic book movies - total CGI cartoons, leave photographing people in vulcanized rubber suits out of it. But I digress, as usual.)

Oh, and if it's any consolation, I'll admit I wouldn't want to be locked in a cage with a real panda, regardless of their general reputation for cuteness. It's a large animal, no doubt capable of mauling a human if provoked.

Comment

Thank you. No harm done.

I would love to be with a wee baby panda, or a friendly adult panda, but yes, they are quite large and sometimes aggressive animals. I was frequently checking the baby panda cam at the Washington Zoo for a while though.

Comment

I love absolutely everything Red Panda. I had suggested Dynamite publish the TPB of the "Mask of the Red Panda" series, but IDW did a fine job with it. The radio drama is spectacular - I've listened to every episode multiple times. The novels and ongoing digital comics from MonkeyBrain are also great. The Red Panda and the Flying Squirrel are my kids' super heroes of choice.

The ninth season finale of the radio series was just released a few days ago. Gregg Taylor (writer, director, producer and star) intends to tell a super hero story from beginning to end, and the end is approacing. Time passes, relationships grow, just like never happens in your corporate super hero stories. And all the radio shows (108 so far), novels (3, with a fourth pending) and comics (issue 6 out now) are all part of 1 continuity.

Black Jack Justice is a private detective series along the lines of Sam Spade nd Philip Marlowe, but with his-and-hers detectives that don't particularly like each other. Both series are well worth listening to. Gregg Taylor is a creative genius.

(Side note: To be clear, animal names notwithstanding, these are not anthropomorphic characters. They are human beings.)
                          DECODER RING THEATRE
                          EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
                          PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
                          PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
                            The ninth season finale of the radio series was just released a few days ago. Gregg Taylor (writer, director, producer and star) intends to tell a super hero story from beginning to end, and the end is approacing. Time passes, relationships grow, just like never happens in your corporate super hero stories. And all the radio shows (108 so far), novels (3, with a fourth pending) and comics (issue 6 out now) are all part of 1 continuity.
                            But on the downside, that makes it harder for people just discovering it to jump on board in the middle. It may be as good as you say, but for someone now to start at the beginning and catch up requires probably more time and effort that most people are willing to dedicate. Even if I was game to make the effort, I seriously doubt I could find the time to make it through the backlog. All this has all been going on for nine years and I'm just hearing about it now on this thread?

You have to look at it from both the inside and the outside. The same things making it rewarding and inspiring loyalty for the already-dedicated are making it more inaccessible to the casual person who wasn't in on the ground floor. So, you know, maybe the corporate superhero stories figured that part out.

Comment

Well, I've only been listening for going on three years now. New episodes are now (for season 10) only going to be released every other month (Black Jack and Red Panda are alternating), so it's not like you have to catch up in a big hurry. Plus, most episodes stand on their own (although season 7 may be confusing without the season 6 finale, at least). The novels stand on their own also. The comics are multi-part stories, beginning with a 3-parter and then being 2-part tales beyond that. Really, it's no different that starting to read Superman, Batman or Spider-Man when they were well into their hundreds, except that the Red Panda stories are all there to download for free (minus novels and comics, those cost money) at DecoderRingTheatre.com, no back-issue hunting required.

One way to try it and see if it's even something you would enjoy would be to check out the "Videos" page on their website and watch the three-part "Mask of the Red Panda" video comic. It is the artwork from the three-part black & white debut comic arc put together with the voice cast from the radio series acting out the script. I think it's well done, and it would give you a preview of both the radio show and the comic - for free.
                              Last edited by MadMikeyD; 08-05-2014, 01:13 PM.
                              DECODER RING THEATRE
                              EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
                              PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
                              PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Working...
                              X