The Red Panda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
    Really, it's no different that starting to read Superman, Batman or Spider-Man when they were well into their hundreds, except that the Red Panda stories are all there to download for free (minus novels and comics, those cost money) at DecoderRingTheatre.com, no back-issue hunting required.
    I was thinking it's more of a time than money thing. I guess one could just get the trade paperback, since that seems to be all there is for comics. I don't do digital comics, unless they're free. Presumbly the comics have all the basic information they need to stand alone, and there's no assumption that the reader is already familiar with the character through the audio adventures. Can't say as I'd know where I'd find the time to listen to all the audio podcasts (regardless of no cost) or read the novels. My backlog of stuff that I actually have in my possession is already pretty overwhelming. Still haven't quite wrapped my mind around where this is coming from, in terms of choosing a random color/animal combination for a crime-fighting identity, almost as if someone blindly picked one from the list of colors, then one from a list of animals. Usually you look for some connection, but a panda native to Toronto? And of course, there are no red pandas, regardless of geographic location. I can appreciate that all the good names have already been taken, but... if it were any more random, it would be "The ______(Adjective) ________(Noun)". Almost like "Mad Libs".

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      Usually you look for some connection, but a panda native to Toronto? And of course, there are no red pandas, regardless of geographic location.
      Actually, this is a red panda:

Click image for larger version

Name:	330px-RedPandaFullBody.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	48880

They are native to the Himilayas. Storyline wise, the Red Panda trained in Tibet and was given the moniker by his master based on the red mask he wore. Real world wise, Gregg Taylor has a story about a sunburn and wraparound sunglasses.

I understand the time arguement. I listen while driving, mowing, doing dishes, and the like.
      DECODER RING THEATRE
      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
      PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
      PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

News to me, as of course when anyone says panda, I am thinking about the black and white bear-like (not sure if actually related by genus) animal native to China. So of course I am imagining the same creature done up in a red color scheme. Pretty obscure reference. Who knew there was an animal of the same name, completely unrelated? Is there any particular significance to this animal in Tibetan culture and lore?

If I had "Tibet", I'd guess the name is a takeoff on The Green Lama (although of course he's not a green "llama"), although the character pretty much looks like The Spirit with red gloves and mask instead of blue ones.

Comment

Both sorts of pandas are adorable. <3

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
            Both sorts of pandas are adorable. <3
            I'd have to more or less agree that MOST criminals fall into the "cowardly and superstitious lot" category, but SOME of them might be susceptible to "adorable"...

Comment

Adorable or not (Flying Squirrel does often state that she is adorable), the Red Panda is the favorite super hero in my house. It's suitable for all ages and my kids look forward to each new episode, novel and comic, almost more than I do.
              Last edited by MadMikeyD; 08-09-2014, 07:40 AM.
              DECODER RING THEATRE
              EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

For those who are interested, the seventh issue of the Red Panda digital comic has been up at Comixology for a couple of weeks and the fourth "Tales of the Red Panda" pulp novel - "The Pyramid of Peril" - is now available as well. The Season 10 premiere of "The Red Panda Adventures" will be up on Oct 1 (the Season 10 premiere of "Black Jack Justice" is up now).
                Last edited by MadMikeyD; 09-14-2014, 08:59 AM.
                DECODER RING THEATRE
                EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Funny to see this on here. I've been into this character for about the last two years. I've enjoyed the novels as well, particularly Mind Master, which is basically "Red Panda Begins" to my mind. I've only listened to the first season of the audio shows to this point, but they're fun.

Comment

Just finished the first season and a few odds and ends. Great fun. I've also read two of the books (pretty good) and have the TPB on order, I'll let you know.
                    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

I got the tpb of the comic book episodes and enjoyed that.
                      Now I'm reading the Tales of the Red Panda novels and just recently finished the third one (The Android Assassins). Have to get the fourth one next, but after then . . . WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?!?

Comment

Working...
                      X