DC Absolute Editions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Absolute Editions

Have any of you guys read one of DC's Absolute Editions? I'm wondering what kind of bonus content they have. Is the extra content worth the extra money?

Yeah, typically, there is a ton of bonus content in the back. If you had a particular one in mind, let me know, I might have it. I don't have a huge (in terms of number, in size they are ALL huge ) collection of Absolutes, off the top of my head I have Crisis on Infinite Earths, JLA/Avengers (I am a huge George Perez fan, and IMO these are his two "absolute" best works), Planetary 1 & 2, maybe a couple of others (not at home to check right now). The amount and nature of the extra goodies included varies greatly from book to book, depending on the amount and quality of the stuff that EXISTS that could be included. For example, if you buy JLA/Avengers you will get (available nowhere else) ALL of Perez' unpublished story pages for the ORIGINAL JLA-Avengers crossover book that he began working on all the way back in the 1980s, before snafus and editorial infighting between DC and Marvel caused the cancellation of the project.

Show & tell: here's a YouTube review of Absolute All Star Superman (Special features start at about the 3:30 mark). You can jump to other Absolute reviews over on the links on the right hand side of the page. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the reviews, but I have to laugh at the ones that are spending an excessive amount of time reviewing the STORY as if it were any other graphic novel. NO, you get right to the meat of the book design, quality and special features, you putz! In other words, what makes this version special and worth the big bucks? If you just want the basic story, you can get the trade paperback for $20! Who the hell is thinking about spending $75 and up on a graphic novel that they have never even read before because they "heard it was good"? It is to laugh! What, you're going to feel like an idiot after plunking down $75 bucks and reading it, and take a chance that your personal review is going to be "You know, a couple of people I know swore this was REALLY good, but after I read it myself, I thought, well OK, not bad, but what's the big deal? I mean, it's not a BAD story, but I didn't think it was THAT great. Probably never going to read this again myself, so I guess I'll have to sell it. I have to admit though, the book ITSELF is REALLY nice and well-done. Just wish I'd picked something that had a better story."? (Perfect example: HUSH is a pretty good Batman graphic collection. Is it worth spending $75 bucks for the Absolute Edition? Not for me, no. No, it's nice to have the TPB, but that's all I'll ever need. I'm not going to read it that many times.)

But the ONLY reason you might even be considering spending that $75 bucks in the first place is that you've already personally read the story and determined its worthiness on YOUR own personal short list of works that might be candidates for this sort of high-end treatment. You've already decided that YOU, personally, LOVE this story. Unless you're just blindly trusting in DC's picks for the line -- "Uh, well all this stuff is supposed to be the cream of the crop of DC's stories, so I figure they must know what they're doing."

Yeah, I can SEE it's a lot bigger in page size, and I can GUESS that for $75 bucks, the paper quality is probably much better. So now the only thing stopping you from forking over the cash is whether it delivers the "goodies" that your friends aren't going to get to see in their regular old po'-boy editions. So, get right to it, Mr. Reviewer-man. Give out with the juicy details! Why should I part with my hard-earned cash to upgrade to the ultra-swank "turbo" version of this graphic novel?
    Last edited by pulphero; 08-17-2014, 06:52 AM.

Comment

The one I was thinking about in particular is the DC: The New Frontier Absolute Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
        The one I was thinking about in particular is the DC: The New Frontier Absolute Edition.
        Yeah, I don't have that one. Now that you've gotten me thinking, I probably need to see what's available (and what's out of print) and try to figure out if there are a few more of these I should try to get before it's too late. You wouldn't happen to have a list already for your own use, would you? If you did and could post it, great. If not, then I'll find the time somewhere and do my own legwork. Just occurred to me to ask (always looking for the lazy man's way out).

Went to YouTube to look for a review of it, only found one. Not worth including the link here. Out of 6:25, the guy just stares into his cam, talks about the story and artwork, holds the book up a few times and waves it around. Maybe 10 seconds mentioning the features of this specific BOOK, as opposed to the story, any version. I'm going to assume you've read it. Maybe it's just me. Are people really just buying these right out of the gate, first-time readers? It's actually not a bad review if all you wanted to know was about the story; it seemed to be coming from the heart, anyway. He mentioned he found it discounted to about $40, so maybe it IS actually possible people are reading the story in the Absolute mode for the first time. I can't even really imagine that, seems to me you REALLY have to put a lot of trust in someone's recommendation.

Anyway, here's the Amazon page. Some guy posted a very nice show & tell video review ("Silver Age Glory" by Sebastian) there, and doesn't spend TOO much time reviewing story & art as opposed to talking about the features of the ABSOLUTE version. Really the way to do it, IMO. My only criticism of his review would be (not really his fault, I guess) the video itself is low-res, so you can't see details the way you'd like to. I suppose there are bandwidth limitations, or maybe he just has his default settings low to conserve his hard drive space or something. But he does attempt to show you all the special features. Maybe the written reviews are of some help too; I didn't really have time to go through.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          Yeah, I don't have that one. Now that you've gotten me thinking, I probably need to see what's available (and what's out of print) and try to figure out if there are a few more of these I should try to get before it's too late. You wouldn't happen to have a list already for your own use, would you? If you did and could post it, great. If not, then I'll find the time somewhere and do my own legwork. Just
          occurred to me to ask (always looking for the lazy man's way out).
          No, I don't have my own list. Sorry about that.

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          Went to YouTube to look for a review of it, only found one. Not worth including the link here. Out of 6:25, the guy just stares into his cam, talks about the story and artwork, holds the book up a few times and waves it around. Maybe 10 seconds mentioning the features of this specific BOOK, as opposed to the story, any version. I'm going to assume you've read it. Maybe it's just me. Are people really just buying these right out of the gate, first-time readers? It's actually not a bad review if all you wanted to know was about the story; it seemed to be coming from the heart, anyway. He mentioned he found it discounted to about $40, so maybe it IS actually possible people are reading the story in the Absolute mode for the first time. I can't even really imagine that, seems to me you REALLY have to put a lot of trust in someone's recommendation.
          Unless I found a REALLY low price for an Absolute edition, I wouldn't buy it without reading the story first. I have read and enjoyed DC: The New Frontier.

Comment

Working...
          X