X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel November 2014 Solicits!

Marvel November 2014 solicits are here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=54943

Good Lord, there's a lot, mainly because of Death of Wolverine aftermath (I eagerly await the Reign of the Wolverines with four possible Logans, none of which will turn out to be the real one), Axis, and Spider-Verse.

Stuff I am getting, somehow, when it comes out:

AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #4 (OF 9)
    AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #5 (OF 9)
    AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #6 (OF 9)
    AXIS: REVOLUTIONS #2 (of 4)
    WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN #12
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #10
    SPIDER-VERSE #1 (of 2)
    SPIDER-VERSE TEAM-UP #1 (of 3)
    DEATH OF WOLVERINE: THE LOGAN LEGACY #4 (OF 7)
    DEATH OF WOLVERINE: THE LOGAN LEGACY #5 (OF 7)
    DEATH OF WOLVERINE: LIFE AFTER LOGAN #1
    DEATH OF WOLVERINE: THE WEAPON X PROGRAM #1 (OF 5)
    DEATH OF WOLVERINE: THE WEAPON X PROGRAM #2 (OF 5)
    NIGHTCRAWLER #8
    STORM #5
    FANTASTIC FOUR #13
    ALL-NEW INVADERS #12
    MS. MARVEL #10
    MIRACLEMAN #13
    AMAZING X-MEN #13

Stuff I am getting when I can afford it:

MAGNETO #12
    SUPERIOR IRON MAN #1
    SUPERIOR IRON MAN #2
    LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD #8
    ALL-NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA #1
    THOR #1
    THOR #2
    GUARDIANS 3000 #1
    CAPTAIN MARVEL #9
    DAREDEVIL #10
    SILVER SURFER #8
    MARVEL MASTERWORKS: GOLDEN AGE ALL-WINNERS VOL. 2 TPB

Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
      Good Lord, there's a lot, mainly because of Death of Wolverine aftermath (I eagerly await the Reign of the Wolverines with four possible Logans, none of which will turn out to be the real one), Axis, and Spider-Verse.
      DEATH OF WOLVERINE: THE LOGAN LEGACY #4 (OF 7)
      DEATH OF WOLVERINE: THE LOGAN LEGACY #5 (OF 7)
      DEATH OF WOLVERINE: LIFE AFTER LOGAN #1
      DEATH OF WOLVERINE: THE WEAPON X PROGRAM #1 (OF 5)
      DEATH OF WOLVERINE: THE WEAPON X PROGRAM #2 (OF 5)
      Good Lord, talk about a lingering death scene! (How many "Gasp! Choke! AAAAARGGHH!"s can you work into a multi-part story, anyway?) At least DC managed to tell The Death of Superman in 6 issues. By the time Marvel finally nails the coffin lid shut they'll have racked up about TWICE as many pages as The Life AND Death of Captain Marvel! Bored now.

Darn it, guess that invalidates "Old Man Logan", then. That and the original Weapon X by Barry Windsor-Smith were the only ones I really liked anyway.
      Maybe it's because ever since that Frank Miller limited series, you pretty much can't throw a rock in the direction of a Marvel comic without hitting a Wolverine appearance.
      Overexposed? Nah, not much. One day I was looking to buy a Marvel comic at my LCS and asked the guy "Do you have any Marvels this week without Wolverine in them?" and he said,
      "I'm really sorry. We completely sold out of Spider-Man this week."
      Last edited by pulphero; 08-20-2014, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post

Darn it, guess that invalidates "Old Man Logan", then.
        Oh, he'll be back, so if you like that can be the ending for your own canon.

Comment

Oh, he'll be back, so if you like that can be the ending for your own canon.
          That healing factor seems to have a life of its own. Can't kill it no matter how hard you try. Even when you think it's been completely wiped out, it comes back like some kind of athlete's foot fungus.
          Maybe after a period of going into a dormant state, it just comes back better than ever (like Adam Warlock with his cocoon).
          They should do a story where it goes into overdrive and starts healing everyone Wolverine comes near, then he becomes the focus of a new religion.
          It could even be a problem if he tries to slice'n'dice the baddies, and he's healing them without being able to stop it.

My personal theory is that ANOTHER Wolverine will just show up to take the place of the dead Wolverine. Some little piece of himself that got lopped off in a fight some time, and regrew back into a whole complete Wolverine (complete with his memories up to the point where that piece of him was severed). In a retcon thing, it's revealed that the adamantium skeleton is formed by some adamantium-based techno-organic virus that's always been in Logan's bloodstream since the original Weapon X experiment, programmed with just enough information to regrow an adamantium skeleton based on info contained in his own DNA (yeah, I know, well what about that time he LOST the adamantium? Hey, I leave that stuff to the writers who know every continuity bit, that's what they get paid for -- but something like that).
          Or, you know, the "Time Is Broken" thing from Age of Ultron; some close parallel timeline Logan.

Or... maybe it doesn't matter that he's dead, because a year later he'll never have died. Just like it doesn't matter that Steve Rogers is a 90-year old man and Thor is a woman. The whole TIME RUNS OUT thing. They can pretty much erase anything that someone REALLY doesn't like about what they've done to whatever character, literally make it so it never happened.

Yeah, you make the point that taken individually, none of these changes to characters really represents anything new. People are always changing costumes, powers, identities, dying and coming back to life and so on. Most of these things don't require much in the way of straightening out from a continuity standpoint. But then there are a lot more of those things that have more permanent effects on a character's history, like what's going on in NEW AVENGERS, or Cyclops having killed Professor X. Sure, Professor X can come back in a heartbeat. He's done it before. But explaining things away as far as how it affected Cyclops' characterization, at least explaining it convincingly, is a lot trickier. He used to be a hero; now he's kind of reviled by a lot of people. And then there is just the cumulative effect that the acceleration of all these changes has (previously these things were more spaced out in time, and confined to fewer characters at any given moment), so that when you look around right now at the Marvel Icons, VERY few of them are looking iconic. They took Spider-Man back to Square One (other than the fresh perspective of having to deal with the aftereffects of Otto's time as Superior Spider-Man), but now with the EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE thing (which seems to combine the videogame premise of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions with kind of a Crisis on Infinite Earths or Multiversity scope) coming up, that smells suspiciously to me like it could play right into TIME RUNS OUT, along with all the out-of-time characters running around like original and future X-Men (it was one thing when it was just Cable, Bishop, and Rachel Summers), Spider-Man 2099 and so on. You're really not seeing any of this?
          Last edited by pulphero; 08-21-2014, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Not seeing any of what? I'm seeing all of this...?

Comment

Not seeing any of what? I'm seeing all of this...?
              I meant whether you agreed that the changes come faster and faster now to the point of where instead of a bunch of characters cyclically returning to the status quo, the status quo has completely disappeared. So many years of constant changes are rendering the MU a place unrecognizable to all but the most hardcore Marvel Zombies. I wondered if that might not be a reason to 'reset the clock', from Marvel's POV of marketing them to a wider audience. We can argue about DC's content as old-school readers, but I don't think anyone's denying that it worked for them, at least for a few years. And no one in this business seems to be looking beyond a few years.
              Last edited by pulphero; 08-21-2014, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Oh. No, not really.

Comment

Guess it's a matter of perspective. Things look different depending on whether you're close up, examining all the fine details and ever-changing events, or standing at the back of the room just looking at the broad strokes.
                  You're more of an "involved participant", where I (with the exception of a relative handful of titles) am more of a "curious rubbernecker" who feels somewhat removed from most of the proceedings. Looking from the inside out, vs. looking from the outside in. Or just a guy passing by the old neighborhood, thinking "seems different than I remember it". The moving out started at the end of Siege, when I stopped getting monthly Marvels and switched to TPBs. While it's true that I have access to borrow most Marvels from the POV of the curious "what exactly is going on here?" neighbor, if I had to pay for them myself (other than those pretty well-defined TPBs: Daredevil, Iron Man, Invaders, New Avengers, Silver Surfer... and I'll probably pick up the first volumes of Savage Hulk and She-Hulk; we'll see where it goes from there) I'd just pass as being "curious, but not THAT curious".

That said, I have a question you might be able to answer, I hope... what exactly happened with T'Challa and Ororo Munroe? That was one of those relationships (like Quicksilver and Crystal) that just seemed to drop out of nowhere, with no advance warning... they meet, BAM!, they're married, then... how'd this particular breakup happen?
                  Last edited by pulphero; 08-22-2014, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                    That said, I have a question you might be able to answer, I hope... what exactly happened with T'Challa and Ororo Munroe? That was one of those relationships (like Quicksilver and Crystal) that just seemed to drop out of nowhere, with no advance warning... they meet, BAM!, they're married, then... how'd this particular breakup happen?
                    During the events of Avengers vs X-Men, they chose opposite sides. That led to a duel in Wakanda, and that's how it ended.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
                      During the events of Avengers vs X-Men, they chose opposite sides. That led to a duel in Wakanda, and that's how it ended.
                      So... husband and wife fought each other, like physically? I'm just trying to imagine that, their power sets are just so different. And now I'm trying to remember the last time the Panther was actually an Avenger. Seems like a long time ago. Wasn't it revealed at one point that he ONLY joined the Avengers as sort of a... infiltrator/intelligence agent for Wakanda? (Something like that.) And Storm was an Avenger for... about 3 issues or so... ?

Comment

Yes, the whole thing with their instant marriage was rather odd, and I'm not grieving its loss at all...

Comment

Yes, the whole thing with their instant marriage was rather odd, and I'm not grieving its loss at all...
                          Yeah, I seem to remember that even as I was reading the whole story where they got married, I'm thinking in the back of my mind "How can this possibly work out? It'll never last." It was just one of those things that felt very forced, very artificial... like, "Storm is really popular. Maybe we should have Marvel's first African superhero marry Marvel's first female African superhero. That makes perfect sense, because they're both African, and both superheroes, and maybe it will attract a little attention to Black Panther's book and help sales." As if.

Same thing with Quicksilver and Crystal. The operative logic there being "This is a LONG-running romantic subplot for Johnny Storm, and because Crystal's always going to be with the Inhumans and Johnny's always going to be with the FF, it can't really ever go anywhere permanent. We need to find a way to shuffle her offstage as a member of the supporting cast, clearing the way for Johnny to move on to a series of temporary flirtations."
                          Last edited by pulphero; 08-23-2014, 01:16 AM.

Comment

The list for November...
                            ALL NEW INVADERS TP VOL 02 ORIGINAL SIN
                            CAPTAIN AMERICA LIVES AGAIN EPIC COLLECTION TP
                            DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID TP VOL 07
                            MMW SUB MARINER HC VOL 06
                            SAVAGE HULK TP VOL 01: THE MAN WITHIN
                            and “maybe”…
                            THUNDERBOLTS TP VOL 05: PUNISHER VS THUNDERBOLTS (have Vol. 1; skipped the others...)

Comment

Working...
                            X