• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 2014 Marvel solicits!

Woot! The Marvel list is here!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=55554

Here is my list.

Side note: I pout at thee, Marvel--I pout mightily! For there are no festive holiday stories this December from thee! Yea, verily, I do pout!!

*POUT*

That said, on with my list!

To get when they come out:
    AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #7
    AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #8
    AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #9
    AXIS: REVOLUTIONS #3
    AXIS: REVOLUTIONS #4
    AMAZING X-MEN #14
    S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
    SPIDER-MAN AND THE X-MEN #1
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #11
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #12
    SPIDER-VERSE TEAM-UP #2 (of 3)
    DEATH OF WOLVERINE: LOGANíS LEGACY #6
    DEATH OF WOLVERINE: LOGANíS LEGACY #7
    DEATH OF WOLVERINE: THE WEAPON X PROGRAM #3
    DEATH OF WOLVERINE: THE WEAPON X PROGRAM #4
    ALL-NEW INVADERS #13
    ALL-NEW MIRACLEMAN ANNUAL #1
    FANTASTIC FOUR #14
    STORM #6
    NIGHTCRAWLER #9

To get when I can:
    SUPERIOR IRON MAN #3
    ALL-NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA #2
    GUARDIANS 3000 #3
    THOR #3
    DAREDEVIL #11
    CAPTAIN MARVEL #10
    MAGNETO #13
    MARVEL MASTERWORKS: WARLOCK VOL. 1 TPB

Comment

I'll probably get the MIRACLEMAN ANNUAL. Doubtful that it will be included in a hardcover omnibus (which is what I'm really waiting on for the complete "by the original writer" issues, and maybe a second hardcover -- for when the Gaiman stories are completed -- a long way off on that).

Nice to see that INVADERS made it to a 13th issue; that means at least 3 trade paperbacks.

Feeling very leery of the whole SUPERIOR IRON MAN thing, but I'll at least give it a chance. HULK has been sort of interesting the last couple of issues, let's see where that goes, if anywhere. Looking forward to more Jim Starlin on THANOS VS SAVAGE HULK. Dan Slott has the most fun Marvel books to read with SILVER SURFER and SHE-HULK; I'd love to see Marvel publish more of that type of stuff, if they can find the right creative teams. I'd probably like AMAZING SPIDER-MAN more too, if I liked the artwork better. Oh well, can't win 'em all. There are only so many Mike Allreds and Javier Pulidos to go around, I guess.

A couple of little Easter eggs buried in the dialogue of this week's issue of AVENGERS... it's feeling like we're drifting into Grant Morrison territory a bit here. There's a mention of a Builder ship (which sure reminded me of the Monitors' shiftships, which is where The Authority/Stormwatch got theirs) attempting to cross through "the bleed" (first time I've ever seen the term used in a Marvel comic) and "the multiverse" (which is a term I don't see bandied about frequently in Marvel comics) ... and an offhand passing remark by one of the Ex Nihilo (not sure which one) about him having "twinned" Earth (sure sounded like he meant "duplicated" ), and that they were "dueling ecosystems"...? Perhaps this is referring to something I've missed or forgotten in previous issues of AVENGERS with the Makers, or is it foreshadowing something? No idea. I might be missing some context on the Ex Nihilo. AVENGERS still feels uncannily like a Legion of Super-Heroes story to me, with cut scenes jumping between characterization moments occurring between small groups of team members located here and there around the universe.

Meanwhile, over in this week's ALL NEW X-MEN, the time-displaced original X-Men all find themselves in the Ultimate universe... and there's that word again, "multiverse", and then again in this week's SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN ("Edge of Spider-Verse"), "multiverse" is mentioned again.

All of this multiversal talk strikes me as not coincidental. The term rarely came up in past Marvel comics, even when alternate/parallel universes were part of the story... now that I think about it, prior to this, I don't even think it had been mentioned in NEW AVENGERS in the long-running Incursion story, even though the idea of parallel universes colliding is central to that plot. I can't remember, offhand, whether the term was ever mentioned in Marvel series like Captain Britain, Excalibur, Exiles, and Mutant X, all series that had a lot of crossing over with parallel realities. It was Captain Britain that first established Marvel's numerical identifiers for various parallel Earths, but it was many years before most of the earlier-seen Marvel parallel universes were finally retroactively numbered. Unlike DC's pre-Crisis multiverse that was more likely than not to identify a parallel Earth upon it's first appearance. Those that they didn't were usually given a name by fans (with alphabetical identifiers the more common form) to distinguish them from the ones officially named by DC. Mark Gruenwald wrote and self-published a long and highly detailed treatise on this in his fan days before joining Marvel. I'm not precisely sure who invented the term or when it first came into common use, but it may have been with reference to Michael Moorcock's science-fantasy stories known as the "Eternal Champion Cycle". Not sure when it first appeared in a DC comic story either, but pretty sure it was after the Crisis on Infinite Earths, although certain it was in common usage among fans with reference to DC's parallel Earths since the 1970s, at least. But since Marvel's characters didn't have the sort of regular visits between universes (except for the aforementioned Captain Britain) that was common in pre-COIE DC comics, Marvel's parallel Earths tended to be more one-off story affairs, except for multiple appearances by the original Squadron Supreme, and to a lesser extent, Arkon and Thundra. It did seem to take a good long while for the Captain Britain nomenclature to filter down into most mainstream US Marvel comics. Of course, EXILES finally made that crossing over between universes a central part of the series concept, with each story arc taking place mainly in a different parallel universe. For a little while there in the '90s, Marvel actually had a cover icon with "Alterniverse", that it used on a few one-shots and the ongoing WHAT IF? series. I kind of wish that had stuck, as a proprietary name for Marvel's parallel Earths/universes/realities/timelines. It had a lot less of a "Hey, this one doesn't really matter" kind of stink to it than the DC "Elseworlds" label. That might be more of a function of the fact that after a few really good initial successes, DC milked that "Elseworlds" label and eventually ran it right into the ground, which never happened at Marvel.

It also occurs to me that those 3 titles happen to each be the best-selling titles of Marvel's 3 major franchises. If you wanted to broadcast some message to Marvel's general readership, putting it in those 3 titles would virtually guarantee that that message was exposed to something like 95% or more of Marvel's readers.
      Last edited by pulphero; 09-18-2014, 02:53 PM.

Comment

So I finally got around to reading the actual solicitation copy. Boy, those descriptions really give everything away, don't they?

The first issue of AXIS hasn't even shipped yet, and I already know what the main plot gimmick is, how the story ends, and the aftereffects of the event. Not all the specific details of course, but the general gist of it.

Comment

Working...
        X