Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marvel has been better than usual lately.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel has been better than usual lately.

Some things I usually don't read at Marvel have been pretty good these last couple of months:

March To AXIS in UNCANNY AVENGERS and MAGNETO... The last couple of UA's and the Magneto story in between have been a nice character exploration piece for Magneto, his history and relationships (especially with Scarlet Witch), less so as a showcase for Red Skull... but he's in good form, anyway, even given far less of the spotlight than Magneto. For my money, the Skull, in terms of pure evil has always been top-of-the-heap of the major Marvel villains, and it's nice to see that recognized here on a wider scale than just a self-contained Captain America story.

(Side note: When and how did the Wasp get resurrected after her death at the end of SECRET INVASION? And the last I saw of Wonder Man, he was going against everything the Avengers stood for; now apparently, he's come back into the fold, but... we didn't actually see him in these issues. Not quite sure what happened with Rogue getting his powers, but his not being anywhere around in the story makes me "Wonder" if something happened to Simon as a result of Rogue absorbing his ionic powers... is he just totally "absorbed" by her, since that's essentially all he is, ionic energy?)

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #4: "I WALKED WITH A SPIDER"... The first few issues of this were OK, but forgettable, "what ifs", but this one was slightly more interesting, even though just a one-off story with a character we'll never see again. Kind of a neat idea, the "origin story" re-thought as a B-grade horror film. Eh, since they don't REALLY have all that many alternate universe versions of Spider-Man out there (even with all the issues of WHAT IF, ULTIMATE, NOIR, 2099, SUPERIOR, SCARLET SPIDER, IRON SPIDER, SYMBIOTE-COSTUME SPIDER-MAN, several different MANGA Spider-Men, the animated versions, several SPIDER-GIRLs, several SPIDER-WOM(E)N, blah-blah-blah, etc...), they have to invent a HUNDRED or so to fill out the ranks of "EVERY SPIDER-MAN, EVER." ... because up to this point, it's only been what, less than 20? They can't even use most of the Spider-Man variants from WHAT IF unless they're visually distinctive (like the four-armed Spider-Man) in some way. Well, it is what it is, I guess. I'll be borrowing SPIDER-VERSE to read, but my expectations are pretty low, so they wouldn't have to deliver that much to pleasantly surprise me here. We'll see.

DEATH OF WOLVERINE... This is a character that I don't much bother with, but hey, this is supposed to be a big deal for him. Still probably wouldn't have bothered, were it not for the name CHARLES SOULE in the writing credits. It's not half bad, not that it compares to Soule's SWAMP THING (which I hear now he's supposedly leaving, having signed an exclusive with Marvel. Boo! ). Normally I wouldn't care about "the Death of" anybody these days, but this is pretty readable nonetheless.

Even CAPTAIN AMERICA (which I've been underwhelmed by since Remender took over) was a decent read this week, as the Falcon takes over. Probably just as well, the book needs a change in direction, because it just doesn't feel like Captain America under Remender. Since they're bound and determined NOT to do "Cap classic", as he was under Brubaker's reign, I guess the next best thing is to move Steve off center stage for a while while Sam takes over (and the non-classic Cap uniform then becomes less unpalatable to me)... that's probably for the best. I'm considering reading this (and its "formerly MIGHTY AVENGERS" spinoff) for a little while now, while prior to this, I didn't plan to bother with it.

FANTASTIC FOUR ANNUAL... The regular series, which I've been following, but don't really know what to make of all the misery that James Robinson is heaping on the team, has been not very satisfying to me. This was a great stand-alone issue spotlighting Sue, Valeria and Dr. Doom. I was thrilled to see a comic book story drawn by Tom Grummett show up in the comic shop. I wonder what he's been doing these past few years since his regular gig on THUNDERBOLTS ended. And inked by Tom Palmer, to boot! Wow, this was really like a little giftie for the old-school comic fans. Valeria looks a little strange here, almost like a dwarf, but then it's mentioned that she's only 3 years old. Somehow (and I know her supergenius IQ contributes to this impression) I always got the impression she was a little older than that in the FF (Future Foundation) series... she just looked a little older as drawn there, maybe about 5 or so (...I'm thinking of the Hickman series, not Fraction/Allred). The Annual story was a nice semi-selfcontained character piece for Sue and Valeria, but had plenty of great action scenes by Grummett, too.

Anyway... SO thrilled to see Tom Grummett's work again, and you know, I think this is the very first time I've actually liked the red-and-black F4 uniform. Please, please, please, Marvel, use this guy more. Use him a lot. Would it be too much to wish against all hope to see him assigned as a permanent artist on the ongoing GUARDIANS 3000, also out this week? Because I really liked the way that story in #1 was written, but WOW, is that artwork by Sandoval tough to swallow. Curse you, Marvel!! ...for returning some of my favorite characters to print under one of my favorite Marvel writers, and then assigning the artwork to someone who works in one of the most annoying damn styles that Marvel publishes. If I wanted that sort of thing, I'd just read more Spider-Man spinoffs. I think that's where Sandoval's talents should properly be utilized, since the Spider-Man fans seem to like that sort of thing, but please, keep it away from cosmic superteams from the 31st century, huh? If not Grummett, then how about Ed McGuinness? Sadly, my worst fear is that Sandoval, not being a "name" artist, is probably looking at this assignment as his "breakout" work, and so will be on this title FOREVER, until it's cancelled... which is just SO frustrating to me. With the right artwork, GUARDIANS 3000 could have shot right to the top of my most-anticipated Marvel must-reads each month. But now I can't even think about buying the TPBs... I'll probably continue to borrow and read it, just because I love the characters so much, and the writer. AARRGGHHH!!!!!
    Last edited by pulphero; 10-03-2014, 04:19 AM.

Agreed, currently I'm enjoying Peter David's Spiderman 2099 and Pak's Storm, will also be checking out Cap America& Mighty Avengers.

Comment

Anyone reading Hawkeye?
      Last edited by Lobster Johnson; 11-09-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

G'day,

Brought the trade the other day. Thought Kate Bishop was a hoot.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
        Anyone reading Hawkeye?

Comment

G'day,

Lobster? You asked the question . Why do you like it?

Ralph

Anyone reading Hawkeye?

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            Some things I usually don't read at Marvel have been pretty good these last couple of months:

March To AXIS in UNCANNY AVENGERS and MAGNETO... The last couple of UA's and the Magneto story in between have been a nice character exploration piece for Magneto, his history and relationships (especially with Scarlet Witch), less so as a showcase for Red Skull... but he's in good form, anyway, even given far less of the spotlight than Magneto. For my money, the Skull, in terms of pure evil has always been top-of-the-heap of the major Marvel villains, and it's nice to see that recognized here on a wider scale than just a self-contained Captain America story.

(Side note: When and how did the Wasp get resurrected after her death at the end of SECRET INVASION? And the last I saw of Wonder Man, he was going against everything the Avengers stood for; now apparently, he's come back into the fold, but... we didn't actually see him in these issues. Not quite sure what happened with Rogue getting his powers, but his not being anywhere around in the story makes me "Wonder" if something happened to Simon as a result of Rogue absorbing his ionic powers... is he just totally "absorbed" by her, since that's essentially all he is, ionic energy?)

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #4: "I WALKED WITH A SPIDER"... The first few issues of this were OK, but forgettable, "what ifs", but this one was slightly more interesting, even though just a one-off story with a character we'll never see again. Kind of a neat idea, the "origin story" re-thought as a B-grade horror film. Eh, since they don't REALLY have all that many alternate universe versions of Spider-Man out there (even with all the issues of WHAT IF, ULTIMATE, NOIR, 2099, SUPERIOR, SCARLET SPIDER, IRON SPIDER, SYMBIOTE-COSTUME SPIDER-MAN, several different MANGA Spider-Men, the animated versions, several SPIDER-GIRLs, several SPIDER-WOM(E)N, blah-blah-blah, etc...), they have to invent a HUNDRED or so to fill out the ranks of "EVERY SPIDER-MAN, EVER." ... because up to this point, it's only been what, less than 20? They can't even use most of the Spider-Man variants from WHAT IF unless they're visually distinctive (like the four-armed Spider-Man) in some way. Well, it is what it is, I guess. I'll be borrowing SPIDER-VERSE to read, but my expectations are pretty low, so they wouldn't have to deliver that much to pleasantly surprise me here. We'll see.

DEATH OF WOLVERINE... This is a character that I don't much bother with, but hey, this is supposed to be a big deal for him. Still probably wouldn't have bothered, were it not for the name CHARLES SOULE in the writing credits. It's not half bad, not that it compares to Soule's SWAMP THING (which I hear now he's supposedly leaving, having signed an exclusive with Marvel. Boo! ). Normally I wouldn't care about "the Death of" anybody these days, but this is pretty readable nonetheless.

Even CAPTAIN AMERICA (which I've been underwhelmed by since Remender took over) was a decent read this week, as the Falcon takes over. Probably just as well, the book needs a change in direction, because it just doesn't feel like Captain America under Remender. Since they're bound and determined NOT to do "Cap classic", as he was under Brubaker's reign, I guess the next best thing is to move Steve off center stage for a while while Sam takes over (and the non-classic Cap uniform then becomes less unpalatable to me)... that's probably for the best. I'm considering reading this (and its "formerly MIGHTY AVENGERS" spinoff) for a little while now, while prior to this, I didn't plan to bother with it.

FANTASTIC FOUR ANNUAL... The regular series, which I've been following, but don't really know what to make of all the misery that James Robinson is heaping on the team, has been not very satisfying to me. This was a great stand-alone issue spotlighting Sue, Valeria and Dr. Doom. I was thrilled to see a comic book story drawn by Tom Grummett show up in the comic shop. I wonder what he's been doing these past few years since his regular gig on THUNDERBOLTS ended. And inked by Tom Palmer, to boot! Wow, this was really like a little giftie for the old-school comic fans. Valeria looks a little strange here, almost like a dwarf, but then it's mentioned that she's only 3 years old. Somehow (and I know her supergenius IQ contributes to this impression) I always got the impression she was a little older than that in the FF (Future Foundation) series... she just looked a little older as drawn there, maybe about 5 or so (...I'm thinking of the Hickman series, not Fraction/Allred). The Annual story was a nice semi-selfcontained character piece for Sue and Valeria, but had plenty of great action scenes by Grummett, too.

Anyway... SO thrilled to see Tom Grummett's work again, and you know, I think this is the very first time I've actually liked the red-and-black F4 uniform. Please, please, please, Marvel, use this guy more. Use him a lot. Would it be too much to wish against all hope to see him assigned as a permanent artist on the ongoing GUARDIANS 3000, also out this week? Because I really liked the way that story in #1 was written, but WOW, is that artwork by Sandoval tough to swallow. Curse you, Marvel!! ...for returning some of my favorite characters to print under one of my favorite Marvel writers, and then assigning the artwork to someone who works in one of the most annoying damn styles that Marvel publishes. If I wanted that sort of thing, I'd just read more Spider-Man spinoffs. I think that's where Sandoval's talents should properly be utilized, since the Spider-Man fans seem to like that sort of thing, but please, keep it away from cosmic superteams from the 31st century, huh? If not Grummett, then how about Ed McGuinness? Sadly, my worst fear is that Sandoval, not being a "name" artist, is probably looking at this assignment as his "breakout" work, and so will be on this title FOREVER, until it's cancelled... which is just SO frustrating to me. With the right artwork, GUARDIANS 3000 could have shot right to the top of my most-anticipated Marvel must-reads each month. But now I can't even think about buying the TPBs... I'll probably continue to borrow and read it, just because I love the characters so much, and the writer. AARRGGHHH!!!!!
            To answer your questions: yes, when Rogue absorbed Wonder Man's powers, she basically absorbed Wonder Man, and they've been trying to get him out of her ever since. One side effect of their merger is that Rogue has again lost control of her power and can't touch anyone, something she is understandably annoyed by having spent years getting past that handicap last time. And Wasp was discovered alive and well in the Microverse in Avengers #32, back in December 2012. Apparently, when she appeared to be disintegrated, she was actually shrunk to subatomic size and left stranded.
            Last edited by tony ingram; 11-17-2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Anyone reading Hawkeye?
              I was reading it at one point, but gave up on the book because of inconsistent scheduling; the inability of Marvel to actually release issues in numerical order; and the fact Fraction started a story then seemed to just leave it at a cliffhanger and meander through other things as if he didn't care about what he had started or didn't know what to do. It became more frustration than enjoyment to read the book, and he wound up making not one but two Hawkeyes come off as clueless morons.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                he wound up making not one but two Hawkeyes come off as clueless morons.
                There are two Hawkeyes? Well, yes I guess he needs BOTH eyes to aim accurately, but... ?

Comment

There are two Hawkeyes? Well, yes I guess he needs BOTH eyes to aim accurately, but... ?
                  Clint and Kate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	883566.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	48912

Comment

The YOUNG AVENGERS character? Was she ever actually "Hawkeye"? Seems like that would imply there was a time in there somewhere when Clint Barton wasn't Hawkeye, but I don't remember that...? I don't remember him ever being dead at one point, or giving up the code name. Other than when he was Goliath, and the year or so when the Avengers went missing on Marvel Earth-616 during the whole "Heroes Reborn" debacle... both WAY before the Young Avengers' time. Oh, and the brief period during DARK REIGN where Bullseye posed as Hawkeye in DARK AVENGERS. So was there ever really a time when the Young Avengers character was "officially" Hawkeye?

Comment

The YOUNG AVENGERS character? Was she ever actually "Hawkeye"? Seems like that would imply there was a time in there somewhere when Clint Barton wasn't Hawkeye, but I don't remember that...? I don't remember him ever being dead at one point, or giving up the code name. Other than when he was Goliath, and the year or so when the Avengers went missing on Marvel Earth-616 during the whole "Heroes Reborn" debacle... both WAY before the Young Avengers' time. Oh, and the brief period during DARK REIGN where Bullseye posed as Hawkeye in DARK AVENGERS. So was there ever really a time when the Young Avengers character was "officially" Hawkeye?
                      I think Hawkeye died in Avengers Disassembled . After he came back his code name was Ronin, and Kate Bishop was Hawkeye.

Matt Fraction's Hawkeye is OK, but the delays are annoying. Some fans seem to really like the book, though.

Comment

Yes. You seem to have missed a fairly sizeable chunk of Marvel history. Clint was killed during Avengers Disassembled and wasn't seen again for some years, and while he was later resurrected by the Scarlet Witch, he did not immediately reassume the Hawkeye name (he became Ronin for awhile). In the meantime, Kate Bishop became Hawkeye. When Clint returned and his survival became public knowledge, she assumed she'd have to give up the name, but he let her keep using it. They've both been Hawkeye concurrently for awhile, now.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                          Yes. You seem to have missed a fairly sizeable chunk of Marvel history. Clint was killed during Avengers Disassembled and wasn't seen again for some years, and while he was later resurrected by the Scarlet Witch, he did not immediately reassume the Hawkeye name (he became Ronin for awhile).
                          Well, he certainly appeared to have died in Avengers Disassembled... but since I'm not too clear on how he isn't dead, (Wanda's chaos magic is a wonky reality-bending thing) I'm going to say that however she bent reality, it got un-bent so that it never happened. Marvel's fast-and-loose approach to continuity just seems to be to ignore stuff that they later decide was a bad idea or a mis-step of some sort...

The Ronin thing only seems to have covered the gap between his "apparent non-death after all" and DARK REIGN (during which Bullseye assumed the name).

That, and the on-again/off-again publication history of YOUNG AVENGERS (and their lack of any continuing supporting roles in-between) makes whether Kate was ever REALLY Hawkeye highly dubious. Of course, she could call herself whatever she wanted under mistaken assumptions (even if those assumptions were common).

In retrospect, YOUNG AVENGERS was just a bad idea that never really developed into anything, anyway... the sort of marketing-mandated book designed to fill a perceived gap in reader demographics that resulted in a motley collection of characters whose true connections to anything to do with Avengers history are so tenuous and oblique that Stark should have sued them for a 'cease and desist' to avoid tarnishing the franchise -- i.e., none of the characters have any connection to the actual Avengers that they appear to be emulating... I don't even recall what Kate Bishop's backstory was in all this. Pretty much jumped ship on this group after the first series concluded; a sketchy concept that only held me in thrall as long as their "mysterious connections" to the real Avengers remained unrevealed.

Judged by merit, Kate Bishop has about as legitimate a claim to the name as Bullseye does. But apparently, Clint Barton's tolerance for such tomfoolery is significantly influenced by his well-known weakness for a pretty face, even a not-legally-adult one.
                          Last edited by pulphero; 11-18-2014, 08:50 PM.

Comment

It's really quite simple (for comic books).

Clint died. Then he got better.

Name:	440965-youngavengershawk6.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	48914

Name:	440965-youngavengershawk yap7.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	48915

Comment