DC TV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC TV

Just watched the first 3 episodes of The Flash and really enjoyed them. Haven't checked out Gotham and I haven't kept up with Arrow since the end of the first season. Liked their twist of the GA Flash villian Mist and they've left us a few interesting teasers. Not sure about the murder of Stagg as it kind of rules out Metamorpho.

What does everybody else think?
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

I've only seen a few episodes of the Flash, which I thought were pretty good. Gotham is OK, and Arrow (which I'm about halfway through the first season now) is good, but doesn't have enough action and has too much drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
      Liked their twist of the GA Flash villian Mist
      Starman villain, actually.

Comment

I liked Arrow since the first season. The most influential part of the show is the fast moving fight scenes. It is my belief that the most recent Captain America movie boosted its action with faster fight scenes since Arrow was impressing fans on TV. To me, I would rather Arrow continue with its no-superpowers policy as there were some good variations of DC villains with no powers being used (the second season's Miraku super-steroid was stretching it in the reality department). Sadly, the upcoming Flash/Arrow crossover will break that policy (second season's Barry Allen appeared before the super powers). Some Arrow writers think there should be teen soap opera stuff since the show is on the CW network.

Flash is a balls out super-powered superhero show. Using some Firestorm, Starman, Captain Atom, etc villains has been cool. I was hoping for Metamorpho too. This show will be the big challenge for any comic book related show. Will Hollywood and the public really support a show that is pure comic book superpowers stuff? Mostly, if it is like the comic book it is delegated to Saturday mornings (Power Rangers is TVs most successful live action Superhero series--best being Power Rangers in Space which is now on DVD). That is why superheroes never seem to keep their mask on in superhero movies and movies like Dark Knight and Iron Man are more successful than Man of Steel, Hulk, and Thor. Avengers worked because viewing public was there for more Iron Man (the movie basically was an Iron Man movie).

Constantine is a great series. They toned down his more radical parts of his character (chain smoking and bisexualism for example from the Hellblazer series) for TV but this is loyal to the character otherwise. More serious than Grimm. It has hints of more DC supernatural characters like the Spectre and Dr. Fate in the future. However, it is hurting in viewership and has just been reduced to 13 episodes. Hopefully, it will be renewed.

When some fail, I worry it will be the end of DC TV. I thought the first season of Agents of SHIELD suffered and I have not watched any more since the end of last season. With Hollywood and TV being very fickle on what is a success, I worry about the success of DC TV.

As for super heroes on tv, I am still upset at the main network tv ending the era of Saturday morning TV cartoons (replacing them with just nature shows and teen career shows). There is a government requirement to have more education related tv shows. The main networks have interpreted this as no more cartoons. Unless one has cable, which I don't, you have to wait until DVD release to watch any super hero cartoon show. Cartoon Network, I understand, does not support shows like Young Justice or Green Lantern (both of which were good--I have the DVDs). It is an end of an era for those of us that grew up on the Superfriends, Shazam, Isis, Tarzan & the Super Seven, Flash Gordon, Spiderwoman, Batman the Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Spectacular Spiderman, Power Rangers, etc. More generations of potential fans of comics will never be exposed to the greatness.

Comment

i like Flash pretty well. i gave up on Gotham after three episodes though. i just didn't care about any of the characters and i hated the constant, hey this is Batman related! attention grabs.

Comment

I just can't find the time for TV any more. Too many disappointments over the years to make it seem worth the time and effort. I miss the cartoons a little. I just have too many comics and pulp reprints waiting to be read (or re-read), so it seemed like something had to go, it was either the internet or TV.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
              I just can't find the time for TV any more. Too many disappointments over the years to make it seem worth the time and effort. I miss the cartoons a little. I just have too many comics and pulp reprints waiting to be read (or re-read), so it seemed like something had to go, it was either the internet or TV.
              i feel much the same way, but i still make time for a few shows. but like you i'd rather be reading a book or some comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Tarzan View Post
                i feel much the same way, but i still make time for a few shows. but like you i'd rather be reading a book or some comics.
                Some people are just better organized and keep the TV watching within reasonable limits, I guess. For me, there's a tendency, like water filling whatever empty space is available, to let it fill up more time than it should; that and associated time-wasters like consulting program listings, setting up recording schedules (which you then feel compelled to watch, since it's filling up space on a drive somewhere), and even spending time reading about what's going on with TV shows on internet websites. Watching most dramatic TV series now is like committing to a series of novels -- you're not really getting anything out of it unless you complete the entire thing (the season or the entire series, in the case of TV). There's just too much available, so there's a tendency to pig out. Even if you start watching something and lose interest after a few episodes or half-a-season, you can bet dollars to donuts someone's bound to tell you 6 months or a year later that you gave up on it just before "...it got REALLY good". Between that and every other person telling you "I can't believe you're not watching __________! Seriously?! Come on, it's only the BEST thing on television right now!" (If I only had a nickle for every time...) To be fair, I guess a lot of the foregoing applies to current comic book series as well.
                Last edited by pulphero; 12-01-2014, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Currently I'm enjoying the flash and arrow, even though I don't read any of their books, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by rasx View Post
                    Currently I'm enjoying the flash and arrow, even though I don't read any of their books, lol.
                    Not sure how that distinguishes you from 99.9999% of the other people watching. Or not watching, for that matter.

Comment

Anybody watching Constintine? Just watched the episode that introduced Jim Corrigan and hinted at the arrival of the Spectre! Very Nice. Is Zed a DC character or a creation for the series?
                      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X