Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC's Convergence titles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DC's Convergence titles

    These aren't from solicits or anything, and they're kind of early, but here is what we have so far:

    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56990

    and

    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=57167

    I don't know exactly what will come of this (the various worlds getting to live on, with occasional glimpses or stories? Everything blowing up? Another reboot, partial (a la Zero Hour) or complete (a la Crisis/Flashpoint)?), but I will be picking up mainly the titles by writers I like. Whether I'll file them as "what happened next" with some of their related worlds (say, the pre-Flashpoint one), or treat them as basically new versions of those worlds, I have no idea yet. (If that world is destroyed or made icky by the event, then it will just be part of the New 52 world...)

    Anyway, I'm quite interested in many of these, though I'm not yet sure which ones I can afford.

  • #2
    Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
    . . . I don't know exactly what will come of this (the various worlds getting to live on, with occasional glimpses or stories? Everything blowing up? Another reboot, partial (a la Zero Hour) or complete (a la Crisis/Flashpoint)?), but I will be picking up mainly the titles by writers I like. Whether I'll file them as "what happened next" with some of their related worlds (say, the pre-Flashpoint one), or treat them as basically new versions of those worlds, I have no idea yet. (If that world is destroyed or made icky by the event, then it will just be part of the New 52 world...) . . .
    . . . The story begins with Convergence #0 on April 1 written by Jeff King and Dan Jurgens, and drawn by Ethan Van Sciver, the same day that Earth 2: World’s End and Futures End, two of DC Comics current world and timeline eschewing weekly series both end. In the 89 issues, Brainiac, as seen recently in Futures End, has been taking cities in bottles, as has been his modus operandi for some time - but this time he’s taking them from timelines and planets that are dying, not just from one universe. The bottle cities from throughout DC’s multiverse of multiverses (omniverse?) will be brought together on one world outside of the DC Universe’s traditional time and space, all opened, and observed. Most likely, that world is the Blood Moon that recently debuted in the pages of Futures End . . .
    http://www.newsarama.com/22619-conve...champions.html

    Comment


    • #3
      I'll probably check out the Superman man of steel, loved John Henry ions in the 90's.

      Comment


      • #4
        Indeed, yes, but what will happen in the end? Hopeful but uncertain.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
          Indeed, yes, but what will happen in the end? Hopeful but uncertain.
          This is a two-month fill-in thing. I'm really not counting on major, lasting repercussions, but we'll have to wait and see.

          Comment


          • #6
            I guess it would allow for some selective un-reboots of individual characters. Probably none that have currently ongoing titles, though, unless they're already ripe for cancellation. Some things we know will spin out of it, like Kamandi.

            I tend to think that if this were a real, complete overhaul of the DCU it wouldn't be a 2-month fill-in thing; they'd have spun it out over 6 months or more and involved crossovers in just about every title (like the original COIE), plus numerous spinoff miniseries tie-ins (like Infinite Crisis and Countdown), so they could milk it for twice or greater the number of usual dollar sales. As it is, with only half the usual number of books being published during those 2 months, they should just about keep their dollar sales the same as normal.

            Comment


            • #7
              Honestly, what I'd be more or less happy with is the lasting repercussion of saying, "Yep, all those different worlds and genres and styles are still out there, and when people seem interested enough, we'll revisit them from time to time." The married Clark/Lois and Wally with kids and so on, the Golden Age JSA, etc., even if they are not the focus of the main New 52 DCU. It's been the sense of "Ha ha ha, we've snatched them all away and you'll never see them again" that's vexed me the most.

              I'd be even more pleased if we got an ongoing series or two (but not one which kills off or darkens the worlds) about those worlds we've missed. I'm sure the New 52 will go away and be replaced by something else eventually (hopefully something better), but a side series which allows us to enjoy the Mr. and Mrs. Superman we've already known and loved would just be awesome. Or even "and they lived happily ever after, and now here's a series like Spider-Girl/MC-2 showing their kids having their own adventures," which might be even cooler. I mean, think about it, between Chris Kent (if he comes back), actual offspring of Clark and Lois, the Flash kids, possibly some form of Damian, and so on, there could be a budding new Justice League...

              Never understood why they didn't just make the prior DCU into the new Earth-2 equivalent, honestly. It was the last universe (like the original Earth-2), had older and married versions of the characters, and heck, in the final issue of Justice League the League disbanded again, so... perhaps the still-going-strong JSA could just be the default super-team, which could have meant annual JL/JSA team-ups again. A win-win situation in my view.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                . . . Never understood why they didn't just make the prior DCU into the new Earth-2 equivalent, honestly. It was the last universe (like the original Earth-2), had older and married versions of the characters, and heck, in the final issue of Justice League the League disbanded again, so... perhaps the still-going-strong JSA could just be the default super-team, which could have meant annual JL/JSA team-ups again. A win-win situation in my view.
                I'm assuming they were trying to eliminate as much of the "bring back the old stuff!" complaints by trying to say "this is what we've got now; there's no turning back". Having the old universe on a separate Earth may have seemed too much like an escape hatch or something?

                (And this is from somebody who wishes they had kept the old universe on a separate Earth and just started the New 52 over completely from scratch, not even necessarily keeping the same secret identities and basic origins for some of the characters.)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                  (And this is from somebody who wishes they had kept the old universe on a separate Earth and just started the New 52 over completely from scratch, not even necessarily keeping the same secret identities and basic origins for some of the characters.)
                  I agree. It could have been like the difference between the Golden and Silver Age.

                  Another possibility--well, if I had done it, I'd have made it more accessible to a wider age range, not the reverse, I've have rooted the characters in their most-well-known OUTSIDE-of-comics incarnations (the main Green Lantern might be John Stewart, for instance), like the DCAU, Young Justice, etc. versions, and I'd have really updated things a bit more. Since we'd still have the classic version with the newspaper Daily Planet over on Earth-Previous, it could mean that the Daily Planet/Star/etc. that Clark Kent works for would be something more digital-specific, like the Huffington Post (which also has a video news channel with interviews, etc. so some of that old WGBS stuff might be more relevant now with Clark and Lois on-screen).

                  Not that DC asked for my input...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                    Never understood why they didn't just make the prior DCU into the new Earth-2 equivalent, honestly. It was the last universe (like the original Earth-2), had older and married versions of the characters, and heck, in the final issue of Justice League the League disbanded again, so... perhaps the still-going-strong JSA could just be the default super-team, which could have meant annual JL/JSA team-ups again. A win-win situation in my view.
                    It would certainly have been better than nothing.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X