Spider-Woman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider-Woman

I buy this series thinking it looks pretty good. Greg Lands art has taken on a newer look and is pretty good.

Disappointed that issue 1 did not begin a new story. It felt more like I was beginning at issue 6 or more. In other words I need to buy 30 more books to understand the first issue of a new series.

I have dropped it immediately.

Issue one should be just that. THE START!!!

Originally posted by The Namer View Post
    I buy this series thinking it looks pretty good. Greg Lands art has taken on a newer look and is pretty good.

Disappointed that issue 1 did not begin a new story. It felt more like I was beginning at issue 6 or more. In other words I need to buy 30 more books to understand the first issue of a new series.

I have dropped it immediately.

Issue one should be just that. THE START!!!
    Greg Land's art looks about the same to me. At least, the same as a few years ago when he was drawing one of the X-MEN books (UNCANNY, I think?), but I liked his art back then, too.
    I'm guessing they made the editorial decision to launch this as a spinoff of the SPIDER-VERSE event (even though, strictly speaking Jessica Drew isn't one of the Spider-Man "family" cast), figuring that there was a good chance more new readers would take a gamble and pick it up that way. And of course, if you don't care about what's going on with Spider-Man, there's always a chance it will have the opposite effect on you, which seems to be exactly what happened here. C'est la vie. I can't say I blame them for trying to tap into the huge reader base of Spider-Man fans, though... but I didn't think much of the story either. The first 4 issues are designated as tie-ins to the Spider-Verse event, but after that it should be safe for you to pick it up. I admit this is no consolation to the casual browser who picked it up expecting otherwise, but the issue was clearly solicited and advertised well in advance as an event tie-in spinoff series. Maybe they felt the character needed that extra leg up, to help the series succeed. Books starring female characters seem to be especially prone to cancellation.

Oh well. Statistics would probably bear out that the most likely reader of a new Marvel comic series is already a pre-existing reader of other Marvel titles. That same lack of accessibility to casual readers actually seems to be a major selling point for most existing Marvel readers -- they want it to be connected in some way to other Marvel titles, the closer the connection the better.
    Last edited by pulphero; 11-30-2014, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      . . . The first 4 issues are designated as tie-ins to the Spider-Verse event, but after that it should be safe for you to pick it up . . .
      . . . at least, safe until the next Spider-wide or Marvel-wide event, which will probably begin two-or-three months later?

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
        . . . at least, safe until the next Spider-wide or Marvel-wide event, which will probably begin two-or-three months later?
        Yeah, you never know with Marvel. You can have a series like SHE-HULK, which didn't tie into any events, but then it was cancelled pretty quickly. Then I can remember other series that seemed to be nothing but a series of arcs tied into one event after another... take for example HEROES FOR HIRE. If you're trying to follow the 2000s incarnation of that group, it looks like this in trade paperback:
        1.1) CIVIL WAR: Heroes For Hire (#1-5)
        1.2) HEROES FOR HIRE: Ahead of the Curve (#6-10)
        1.3) HEROES FOR HIRE: WORLD WAR HULK (#11-15)
        2.0) SHADOWLAND: Blood on the Streets (#1-4)
        2.1) HEROES FOR HIRE: Control (#1-5)
        2.2) FEAR ITSELF: Heroes For Hire (#6-12)
        3.0) VILLAINS FOR HIRE: Knight Takes King (#0.1 and 1-4)

In other words, out of 7 story arcs, 4 of them involved crossover event tie-ins.

Comment

Yeah, you never know with Marvel. You can have a series like SHE-HULK, which didn't tie into any events, but then it was cancelled pretty quickly. Then I can remember other series that seemed to be nothing but a series of arcs tied into one event after another... take for example HEROES FOR HIRE. If you're trying to follow the 2000s incarnation of that group, it looks like this in trade paperback:
          1.1) CIVIL WAR: Heroes For Hire (#1-5)
          1.2) HEROES FOR HIRE: Ahead of the Curve (#6-10)
          1.3) HEROES FOR HIRE: WORLD WAR HULK (#11-15)
          2.0) SHADOWLAND: Blood on the Streets (#1-4)
          2.1) HEROES FOR HIRE: Control (#1-5)
          2.2) FEAR ITSELF: Heroes For Hire (#6-12)
          3.0) VILLAINS FOR HIRE: Knight Takes King (#0.1 and 1-4)

In other words, out of 7 story arcs, 4 of them involved crossover event tie-ins.
          Oh yeah, almost forgot, there was a SPIDER ISLAND: HEROES FOR HIRE one-shot in between FEAR ITSELF and the reboot (VILLAINS FOR HIRE). They pretty much sat out the years 2008 to 2010 (except for the SHADOWLAND miniseries which led into the next volume of the series), so they missed out on SECRET INVASION, DARK REIGN and SIEGE.
          Last edited by pulphero; 11-30-2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

There was a time Marvel was 100% of my pull list.

Now just 1 book- Spider-Man 2099.

Comment

There was a time Marvel was 100% of my pull list.

Now just 1 book- Spider-Man 2099.
              Uh-oh. Spider-Man 2099 #6, 7 and 8 are ALSO tie-ins to the SPIDER-VERSE event! D'oh!

Comment

i've never been crazy about this version of Spider Woman and i enjoyed this first issue. Greg Land...remember when he use to be really good? back when he was doing Nightwing. and as for Spider Verse...i'm already a little sick of it. 2099 is a really fun book though. glad they could get Peter David back.

Comment

Peter David is stifled now by Marvels current way of operating. Gone are the days of sub-plots which pay off in 5 years or so - oh no, all books have been rebooted twice by then.

Spidey 2099 will be lucky to reach #30 before a reboot.

Nice tip of the hat by David though to Spidey's time with the Exiles.

Comment

New outfit is rubbish.
                    Designed with a female audience in mind. The end of a good character. I've said that quite often recently about a lot of characters.

Comment

New outfit is rubbish.
                      Designed with a female audience in mind. The end of a good character. I've said that quite often recently about a lot of characters.
                      Are we still talking about SPIDER-WOMAN? She doesn't have a new outfit. It's the same outfit she always had. At least, the same outfit the Jessica Drew Spider-Woman always had. With the exception of that original mask that covered her hair.

Comment

Peter David is stifled now by Marvels current way of operating. Gone are the days of sub-plots which pay off in 5 years or so - oh no, all books have been rebooted twice by then.

Spidey 2099 will be lucky to reach #30 before a reboot.
                        Doubt if it's going to make it to #30 by June of 2015. But at least he won't be alone.

Comment

G'day,

This is her new costume. Can't remember seeing it previously

Click image for larger version

Name:	635544608591237491-SpiderWoman-profile.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	48938

In its defense I will say something like that is perfectly appropriate for a movie costume were a real woman has to wear it. But this is a comic book. These are not real people. When I saw it couldn't help laughing , its just so plain. Might as well put a spider t-shirt over her and a pair of slacks.

Dear God please keep these people away from Deejah Thoris and Vamprilla.

more here

ta

Ralph

Are we still talking about SPIDER-WOMAN? She doesn't have a new outfit. It's the same outfit she always had. At least, the same outfit the Jessica Drew Spider-Woman always had. With the exception of that original mask that covered her hair.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
                            G'day,

This is her new costume. Can't remember seeing it previously

[ATTACH=CONFIG]941[/ATTACH]

In its defense I will say something like that is perfectly appropriate for a movie costume were a real woman has to wear it. But this is a comic book. These are not real people. When I saw it couldn't help laughing , its just so plain. Might as well put a spider t-shirt over her and a pair of slacks.

Dear God please keep these people away from Deejah Thoris and Vamprilla.

more here

ta

Ralph
                            This is Jessica Drew? All of a sudden she looks like a young teenager. I am reminded of DC's recent BATGIRL revamp.

Comment

G'day

Yep, among other things Marvels answer to the cosplay girl market. Should be cinch to put together. A pair of yoga pants, white T-Shirt and buy or make the appropriate jacket. Sunglasses and done! I'm skeptical appealing to narcissistic teens is the way to go but marketing is not my job.

Related to all that is the Marvel Movie Money Machine. I think the movie audience is pretty much 50/50 male/female. They may think women are coming to comics expecting to see something similar to the movies. As I said thats fine as a movie costume.

ta

Ralph

This is Jessica Drew? All of a sudden she looks like a young teenager. I am reminded of DC's recent BATGIRL revamp.

Comment

Working...
                              X