Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic Axa

Axa

Back in the 1970's - 80's there was a barbarian girl called Axa in UK Newspaper strips. A very addictive strip which later went on to be reprinted and had it's own proper comic strip adventures.

An amazing series. I wonder what the odds are of it being picked up by Dynamite. It would gel so well to place her in the same universe as Red Sonja.

Guest replied
    Originally posted by The Namer View Post
    I am guessing this would be caught up with all kinds of legal entanglements, stopping Dynamite from doing a series. It would be nice to see them try though.
    As far as I know, Axa is owned by Enrique Romero. The only legal requirement would be getting his permission (and preferably getting him to draw it!)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am guessing this would be caught up with all kinds of legal entanglements, stopping Dynamite from doing a series. It would be nice to see them try though.

Nudity aside, which although easy on the eye - it was never essential to the character - I think this could work as a modern comic. Or maybe do an adult line and keep the character exactly the same....no....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Dynamite need to do this.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    OK, I could have sworn those were edited by Cat Yronwode.
    That's probably because they were edited by Cat Yronwode. They just weren't published by Eclipse. Cat worked for Ken Pierce for a while, in 1980-81, as well as for the Comics Buyer's Guide. She didn't become involved with Eclipse until she met Dean Mullaney in 1982.

Leave a comment:

• pulphero
    replied
    Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
    Oh, I've got those! But that card covered reprint series wasn't from Eclipse-it was the First American Edition series, published by Ken Pierce Inc, just like the Axa Color Album.
    OK, I could have sworn those were edited by Cat Yronwode.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    This was the one from Ken Peirce Books: (Now that I think of it, I think this was in the larger magazine size, color, similar to Marvel Graphic Novels of the 1980s)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]949[/ATTACH]

And this was the series from Eclipse in black and white (they also did a 2-issue floppy comic):
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]950[/ATTACH]
    Oh, I've got those! But that card covered reprint series wasn't from Eclipse-it was the First American Edition series, published by Ken Pierce Inc, just like the Axa Color Album.

Leave a comment:

• pulphero
    replied
    Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
    I'm not aware of Eclipse having done any reprints, just the two issue series. And weren't the card covered reprints from the First American Edition series? Nine books...
    This was the one from Ken Peirce Books: (Now that I think of it, I think this was in the larger magazine size, color, similar to Marvel Graphic Novels of the 1980s)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	936531.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	48944

And this was the series from Eclipse in black and white (they also did a 2-issue floppy comic):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	555295.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	48945

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    There were a couple of American reprint editions in the 80s. Ken Peirce Books, and Eclipse. Both in "bookshelf" or "prestige" format (like an annual with cardboard covers).
    I'm not aware of Eclipse having done any reprints, just the two issue series. And weren't the card covered reprints from the First American Edition series? Nine books...

Leave a comment:

• pulphero
    replied
    There were a couple of American reprint editions in the 80s. Ken Peirce Books, and Eclipse. Both in "bookshelf" or "prestige" format (like an annual with cardboard covers).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by The Namer View Post
    Back in the 1970's - 80's there was a barbarian girl called Axa in UK Newspaper strips. A very addictive strip which later went on to be reprinted and had it's own proper comic strip adventures.

An amazing series. I wonder what the odds are of it being picked up by Dynamite. It would gel so well to place her in the same universe as Red Sonja.
    I absolutely love Axa! For the benefit of the uninitiated, this erotic SF fantasy was the brainchild of artist Enrique Badia Romero (who also drew Modesty Blaise) and writer Donne Avenell, and first saw print in The Sun in 1978, eventually departing its pages mid story in 1985. She has since been seen in not only reprints of the newspaper strip but also a full colour graphic novel published by Ken Pierce, Inc and a couple of issues of, of all things, 2000 AD Showcase, all of which ramped up the nudity content considerably. She also featured, in a much tamer form, in a two issue series from Eclipse Comics in 1987, written by Chuck Dixon, but that one was fairly forgettable. And yes, she would be a very good fit for Dynamite. More info here: http://britishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Axa

Leave a comment:

Working...
X