Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The MARVEL UNIVERSE Is Ending

http://www.newsarama.com/23276-the-m...is-ending.html

he Marvel Universe, as we have known it since 1961, is ending.

Yes, you read that right.

During a live "Secret Wars Kick-Off" press event at New York City's Midtown Comics, Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso and Senior Vice President of Publishing and Executive Editor Tom Brevoort confirmed that the upcoming eight-issue limited series Secret Wars will represent the end of both the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe.

[ Check out what Stan Lee himself has to say about the news of the end of the Marvel Universe .]

Saying that the mainstream Marvel Universe and Ultimate Universe would "smash together" during the upcoming Secret Wars crossover event, Alonso and Brevoort went on to elaborate that, by the time Secret Wars #1 hits the stands in May, every world in Marvel's multiverse will be destroyed, with pieces of each forming Battleworld, the staging ground for the Secret Wars storyline

"Once we hit Secret Wars #1, there is no Marvel Universe, Ultimate Universe, or any other. It's all Battleworld," Brevoort said.

Speculation regarding the end of the Ultimate Universe has been rampant, as fans have known for some time that, as of February, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man will be the sole remaining title in the Ultimate line. What has been less clear is the future of the mainstream Marvel Universe moving out of Secret Wars.

[Check out Ten Lingering Questions About Secret Wars and the upcoming new Marvel Universe .]

We now know that the Marvel Universe, post-Secret Wars, will be an all new world combining elements not just of the Ultimate Universe and the mainstream Marvel Universe, but possibly bits and pieces of other worlds as well under the moniker of "All-New Marvel."

"The Marvel Universe will be Battleworld, and every single piece of those worlds will be building blocks for the universe," said Alonso, adding that all the universes represented in "Battleworld" will have "legs" moving forward.

“…We are taking the best and biggest pieces of [Marvel history] and seeing how easily they coexist with one another,” Alonso said in answer to a press question about this being a 'reboot.' “We don't expect all our moves to make everyone happy, but we think it will make for a really fascinating read through Secret Wars and beyond.”

Driving home the point that anything will be possible, Alonso also teased the possibility of bring back old characters during Secret Wars. "If we wanted to resurrect Gwen Stacy," he said with a smile, "this would be the place to do it."

While Marvel already teased earlier this month that the company would launch The All-New, All-Different Avengers , after having confirmed Avengers and New Avengers would end in April, Alonso confirmed that Marvel would be launching a "wealth" of new series, both ongoing and minis, during Secret Wars.

When asked what would happening to the existing ongoing series, Brevoort told press that “most” current creators will continue to work with their characters, but not necessarily in “the same book.”

“Every creative team has known this was coming. We've had a line of demarcation in the sand. Get your most immediate business done by this point because we're going into Secret Wars and it's going to have an impact on everything,” Brevoort said.

“Most of those creators are working on books during Secret Wars. They may not be exactly the same book,” Marvel’s Executive Editor continued. “There may not be a Guardians of the Galaxy book but there's probably going to be something that involves some bit of that business, or stuff that may be done in Guardians in the future. Everything is going to kind of change and shift as we go. We're not entirely ready yet to map it all out for you."

The events of Secret Wars represent what Brevoort described as "the culmination of Jonathan Hickman's plans from when he first came onto Avengers and New Avengers."

Brevoort added that Marvel's Free Comic Book Day issue, Secret Wars #0 written by Hickman, will bring readers "up to speed" for the event before it begins in may with Secret Wars #1 and an oversized issue #2.

What a load of old rubbish.

R.I.P Marvel, you were good while you were here. Now it's been bollixed up!

Comment

G'day,

I'm only getting a couple of Marvel titles. One of them, Captain Marvel, has stopped doing anything interesting for several issues and I expect the Moon Knight story arc to end soon. Might cancel them until this is all over and see what happens when the dust settles. However its clear to me whats going on. There's only one Marvel Universe that Disney really cares about: the MCU. Thats the Marvel Magic Movie Money Machine. The comic books are the MMMM's support mechanism. We seeing the continuing appropriate adjustment. Expect the Inhumans to gain importance at the cost of the X-Men (don't be surprised if in the next few years the X-Men are sold of completely to Fox). Its known that Sony are in discussion with Disney regarding Spider-Man. If Spidy goes back to the MCU I'll bet they will reboot him with Miles Morales not Peter Parker, so expect comic book adjustments there too. etc etc.

Ralph

Originally posted by The Namer View Post
      What a load of old rubbish.

R.I.P Marvel, you were good while you were here. Now it's been bollixed up!

Comment

Anybody that's shocked and dismayed by this because they never saw it coming, can't have really been reading many Marvel comics lately.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          Anybody that's shocked and dismayed by this because they never saw it coming, can't have really been reading many Marvel comics lately.
          Exactly. Marvel have disappeared from my pull list, except for one.

Comment

I don't know what to really think. If it's actually only temporary (like Age of Apocalypse was--and yes, it did have permanent effects, but the Marvel Universe wasn't rebooted; or like Heroes Reborn and then Heroes Return, etc.), then honestly I'll be happy about that. If it's not, I'll be sad about that but probably interested in what they do next. In either case, I'll continue to buy books by writers I like, and skip ones by writers I don't. Since I'm not really into Hickman, it's entirely possible I won't buy the main series and just get the crossover ones by writers I like.

It's kind of the same way with DC and Convergence. I'd like to think that good new things, and the return of great classic things, are around the corner after Convergence, whether we get a rebooted DCU or the return of the classic multiverse or whatnot, or both, but I have no idea what they're really going to do, and will just pick up stuff by people I like.

Don't get me wrong, there are things I want to see happen, so the outcome matters to me. I've disliked the Ultimate Universe for pretty much forever (the early Ultimate Spider-Man was OK, Ultimate Team-Up (now not in continuity!) was interesting, but it's such a grim universe otherwise), so I'd rather it not become part of the main Marvel world. (And I don't mean the existence of Miles Morales or the black Nick Fury--I mean the approach to the Avengers, Fantastic Four and so on.)

Comment

G'day,

What they have said is they want to bring all their universes closer together, that includes the MCU. I can't see incest sibilings Wanda & Pietro in the new universe , thats not going to work in a Disney movie. I can certainly see Miles and Negro Fury there. Can they have both Peter Parker and Miles Morales in the same universe? If they can swing the Sony deal Adult Spidy can join the Avengers while young Miles can do his own thing. I don't expect to see other fantastic Four book until (if) they regain the movie rights. hows girl-Thor and Black Captain America going? They might want those characters to eventually replace the MCU versions. Personally I think thats a stupid idea the Falcon is a character in his own right, he doesn't need to be Cap and if they want more female representation in the MCU Jamie Alexander's Lady Sif is the way to go. So I hope we get boy Thor and Steve Rogers back. Don't expect to see many more new mutants, theres no reason for Disney to work for Fox, so expect more Inhumans instead. Expect the art to get more "realistic" ie bland and boring - think new Spider-Woman costume , new Hawkeye, new Captain Marvel etc etc. because those costumes are easier to bring to the screen.

Nor do I expect this to be the end of it. Expect more universe adjustments. Does Marvel really need the X-Men? Yes they do well with it , I think theres about 9 X-Men books, but the ROI on those is peanuts compared to the movies and Fox has those. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox gives Fantastic Four back to Disney, but theres no way they are going to release the X-Men money makers. In the future , say 3-5 years hence when the Inhumans have been built up with books and movies, don't be surprised if the entire X-Men franchise, comics, movies and all end up with Fox.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
              I don't know what to really think. If it's actually only temporary (like Age of Apocalypse was--and yes, it did have permanent effects, but the Marvel Universe wasn't rebooted; or like Heroes Reborn and then Heroes Return, etc.), then honestly I'll be happy about that. If it's not, I'll be sad about that but probably interested in what they do next. In either case, I'll continue to buy books by writers I like, and skip ones by writers I don't. Since I'm not really into Hickman, it's entirely possible I won't buy the main series and just get the crossover ones by writers I like.

It's kind of the same way with DC and Convergence. I'd like to think that good new things, and the return of great classic things, are around the corner after Convergence, whether we get a rebooted DCU or the return of the classic multiverse or whatnot, or both, but I have no idea what they're really going to do, and will just pick up stuff by people I like.

Don't get me wrong, there are things I want to see happen, so the outcome matters to me. I've disliked the Ultimate Universe for pretty much forever (the early Ultimate Spider-Man was OK, Ultimate Team-Up (now not in continuity!) was interesting, but it's such a grim universe otherwise), so I'd rather it not become part of the main Marvel world. (And I don't mean the existence of Miles Morales or the black Nick Fury--I mean the approach to the Avengers, Fantastic Four and so on.)

Comment

I'm confident, based on what Marvel folk have actually said, that the above (whether good or bad) is not what's happening. Tom Brevoort has an excellent tumblr account where he addresses things like this.

Comment

I'd be satisfied to buy a Marvel book here and there based on the creative team/character combination, and not worry overmuch about the grand scheme of the universe. It seems to be happening less and less for me, though, and when it does the ensuing series is soon canceled. Daredevil is probably the longest-running thing I've been reading that's largely unaffected by the universe-at-large... but I don't expect whatever team replaces Waid & Co. is going to do it for me. I'm sure there will still be the odd thing here and there, they'll come and go. I don't think I'll ever be invested in it the way I once was years ago. DC seems to be following a similar pattern, killing off books out of the select group I like. I still read/collect more DCs than Marvels, but they're mainly all the non-universe titles.

On the other hand, most of my floppy comic purchases are Dynamite and IDW, with a smaller group from Dark Horse and Boom, and most of the limited number of titles published by Bongo and Archie. The rest is hardcover reprints of classic stuff or alternative writer/artists offered by companies like Fantagraphics and D&Q, a few TPBs from Image, and once and a while some classic manga reprint.

Comment

G'day,

In my case I just buy books with story lines I like. Most of them operate reasonably independently from other major Marvel characters. I liked Kelly Se DeConnick's Captain Marvel when she was doing the "Higher Further Faster, More" story arc. Top rate space opera, but now she's doing cat and wedding stories. I'll probably drop it. Thanks to Lobster I'm reading Moon Knight , that's weird enough to appeal to me, and I picked up the new Black Widow trade yesterday, like the character and like spy stories. I work to a strict budget so always prioritizes my comic books. If quality detorites I'll drop it and try something else.

ta

Ralph

I'd be satisfied to buy a Marvel book here and there based on the creative team/character combination, and not worry overmuch about the grand scheme of the universe. It seems to be happening less and less for me, though, and when it does the ensuing series is soon canceled. Daredevil is probably the longest-running thing I've been reading that's largely unaffected by the universe-at-large... but I don't expect whatever team replaces Waid & Co. is going to do it for me. I'm sure there will still be the odd thing here and there, they'll come and go. I don't think I'll ever be invested in it the way I once was years ago. DC seems to be following a similar pattern, killing off books out of the select group I like. I still read/collect more DCs than Marvels, but they're mainly all the non-universe titles.

On the other hand, most of my floppy comic purchases are Dynamite and IDW, with a smaller group from Dark Horse and Boom, and most of the limited number of titles published by Bongo and Archie. The rest is hardcover reprints of classic stuff or alternative writer/artists offered by companies like Fantagraphics and D&Q, a few TPBs from Image, and once and a while some classic manga reprint.

Comment

I dropped DC completely in 2011 because I had no interest in reading about new versions of the characters without all the history I'd become so invested in over the previous 35 years. I haven't gone back on that decision since. If Marvel do the same thing, they'll lose me as a reader, too, after nearly forty years. Still, it'll save me about £1, 500 per year, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                        I dropped DC completely in 2011 because I had no interest in reading about new versions of the characters without all the history I'd become so invested in over the previous 35 years. I haven't gone back on that decision since. If Marvel do the same thing, they'll lose me as a reader, too, after nearly forty years. Still, it'll save me about £1, 500 per year, I suppose.
                        There's always a Silver Lining. Who knows, you might even find other comics (not DC, obviously) to spend that money on, comics you never bothered with before because you never had the time as well as the money. There are certainly a lot of comics out there in the world, you just have to find the right ones. Marvels may have been "the right ones" for a long, long time, but that doesn't mean they're the only right ones. My comics reading used to be largely superhero-centric, but now I find I really enjoy the variety of different genres, styles and companies, and I'm developing a real appreciation for comics that are "comical", and discovering the many that existed before my time.
                        Last edited by pulphero; 01-23-2015, 03:40 PM.

Comment

My comics reading used to be largely superhero-centric, but now I find I really enjoy the variety of different genres, styles and companies, and I'm developing a real appreciation for comics that are "comical", and discovering the many that existed before my time.
                          That happened to me as well. I never really got into the whole John Carter/Tarzan/Conan end of the spectrum, until, well, um, the beefcake factor drew me in, but the actual adventure stories themselves have kept me, despite no one shooting beams out of their eyes.

Comment

There's always a Silver Lining. Who knows, you might even find other comics (not DC, obviously) to spend that money on, comics you never bothered with before because you never had the time as well as the money. There are certainly a lot of comics out there in the world, you just have to find the right ones. Marvels may have been "the right ones" for a long, long time, but that doesn't mean they're the only right ones. My comics reading used to be largely superhero-centric, but now I find I really enjoy the variety of different genres, styles and companies, and I'm developing a real appreciation for comics that are "comical", and discovering the many that existed before my time.
                            Well, that happened to me after I dropped DC: I've never restricted my comics reading to just superheroes (growing up in Britain, "comics" and "superheroes" were never as indivisible as I think they are to many Americans) but dropping about £80 worth of DC books per month enabled me to discover a lot of Dynamite, Boom and IDW titles I'd never looked at before. It still rankles, though, losing the characters and continuity I'd loved for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                              Well, that happened to me after I dropped DC: I've never restricted my comics reading to just superheroes (growing up in Britain, "comics" and "superheroes" were never as indivisible as I think they are to many Americans) but dropping about £80 worth of DC books per month enabled me to discover a lot of Dynamite, Boom and IDW titles I'd never looked at before. It still rankles, though, losing the characters and continuity I'd loved for decades.
                              No, I don't mean that I ever restricted my comic book reading to superheroes, except when I was very young and had very little spending money. I've always enjoyed other genres (and not just the standard ones that Marvel and DC used to publish). What I meant was that the reason that Marvel and DC publish so many "universe" comics in the first place is that they're really seeking to monopolize as much of your comics budget as they possibly can. It's just good business from their perspective. But what tends to happen is you tend to obsess and focus on the vast array of "universe" titles if that's what you're into, and it crowds out other possibilities, by sheer virtue of the finite amount of money and time you have to spend buying and reading comics. When you knock those huge looming structures down, there's money enough and time enough for the vast variety of everything else to rush in to fill the vacuum - like water filling a hole to the correct level.

In addition to that, we're living in the Golden Age (and the Atomic Age, Silver Age and Bronze Age... even the Platinum Age) of a vast variety of reprinted material that has never before been so readily available, for anyone able to afford $40 and up for hardcover reprints... so you can relive "The Marvel Age" all over again, if that's your choice, or any of many other ages from many other publishers. Even for the not-so-rich, as long as they have a computer, bootleg scans of copyrighted comics, and a slew of perfectly legal public domain material is available to all, if you don't mind reading digitally.

To give a concrete example, I never really bothered with much Archie Comics (beyond the superheroes, which I'd always liked, and the smattering of regular Archie titles I'd read as a kid) until about 6 months ago, when I read "The Death of Archie". Since reading that back in September of 2014, I've read a TON of Archies... because I'm now reading fewer and fewer Marvels and DCs. That's just an example of something that's ALWAYS been there and available to me, that I never bothered giving much thought to.

All told, although I'm reading less and less Marvels and DCs all the time, I'm reading MORE and MORE of everything else. I'm reading more comics right now than I EVER have.
                              Last edited by pulphero; 01-24-2015, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X