Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Equality

    I am sure I am wrong about this, but cannot find any examples.

    Books with a male lead pretty much have to have a strong female character in them too. But books with a female lead don't seem to have the same requirement for a strong male character.....

    I have scoured the comics books available right now, and I am struggling to find an exception to this rule. I am sure there is one - but as a generalisation, this does seem to be correct.

  • #2
    G'day,

    Because when you do that you no longer has so much as a female lead as a partnership.

    Ralph

    Originally posted by The Namer View Post
    I am sure I am wrong about this, but cannot find any examples.

    Books with a male lead pretty much have to have a strong female character in them too. But books with a female lead don't seem to have the same requirement for a strong male character.....

    I have scoured the comics books available right now, and I am struggling to find an exception to this rule. I am sure there is one - but as a generalisation, this does seem to be correct.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
      G'day,

      Because when you do that you no longer has so much as a female lead as a partnership.

      Ralph
      I agree, but it does seem one sided. I am disturbed, because I am gradually beginning to feel my 40 year old love of comics to begin to slide. They just aren't the quality they used to be.

      Comment


      • #4
        G'day,

        Has it ever been any different? At least regarding this issue?

        When I think of another medium like television, theres some times a female lead with a reasonably strong male character, "Bones" comes to mind , but there's usually a romance developing. The Bones characters eventually got married. Bones was designed to especially appeal to woman. I can't think of many couple super heroes comics, especially ones that are aimed at women. There might be a few but not many.

        A bit more to the above. DC have decided to hook up Superman with Wonder Woman. I absolutely hate the idea because its so elitist. Gods marrying gods, I thought it was far better when they had normal mortals as their lovers, It said humans were worthy of their equal love. However that was not the objection of the SJW type geek girls over at Mary Sue blog. Apparently they hated it because it showed Wonder Woman needed a man.

        ta

        Ralph

        Originally posted by The Namer View Post
        I agree, but it does seem one sided. I am disturbed, because I am gradually beginning to feel my 40 year old love of comics to begin to slide. They just aren't the quality they used to be.
        Last edited by ralphuniverse; 02-02-2015, 03:35 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by The Namer View Post
          I agree, but it does seem one sided. I am disturbed, because I am gradually beginning to feel my 40 year old love of comics to begin to slide. They just aren't the quality they used to be.
          What does that have to do with the gender ratio of male- or female-focused comics?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
            A bit more to the above. DC have decided to hook up Superman with Wonder Woman. I absolutely hate the idea because its so elitist.
            I hate it because Clark is supposed to be with Lois.

            However that was not the objection of the SJW type geek girls over at Mary Sue blog.
            SJW?

            Apparently they hated it because it showed Wonder Woman needed a man.
            Definitely a valid criticism, given the character. But I think DC's messed up Diana since the New 52.

            Comment


            • #7
              I can't say I ever remember when Lois Lane was a well-written, likable character.

              Comment


              • #8
                What, never? What about the Earth-2 Lois in her appearances in Mr. and Mrs. Superman in Superman Family? (And in the actual wedding issue of course.)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Or some of these?

                  http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...ies-ever-told/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                    What does that have to do with the gender ratio of male- or female-focused comics?
                    Specifically? Nothing.

                    Just feeling very dissatisfied with how comics are changing at the moment. Although I think movement should be given to make comics more accessible to females as well as males, I get the feeling that comic companies are struggling with how to do it, and seem to be destroying the very foundations of what make comics great; my original observation of this thread being one of the larger symptoms of this trend.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Um... assuming that this analysis is correct, how does this destroy the foundations of what make comics great?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Are you talking current examples or historically?

                        Male counterexamples: Batman never had a consistent strong female character (Catwoman was the closest he got, but she was an infrequent villain at best). Black Panther only recently had a strong female character in Storm, but that didn't last that long. Conan never had any female character that lasted more than a few issues. Captain America went a loooong, long time before Sharon Carter ever showed up.

                        Female counterexamples: Wonder Woman had Steve Trevor, Vampirella had Adam van Helsing, Black Canary had Green Arrow, Witchblade had Jack McCarthy, She-Hulk had Wyatt Wingfoot (at least for quite a while).

                        And honestly, most female comic leads started as a result of another male character (or super team)... Bat Girl, She Hulk, Supergirl, Ms. Marvel (eventually Captain Marvel), Spider Woman, Elektra, Invisible Woman, Storm, Starfire, Power Girl, Medusa, Rogue, Dejah Thoris, etc. So considering these characters did not start without the aid of another male character, it seems odd to suggest they weren't written with a strong male lead.

                        So I guess I'm trying to understand your premise. To me, I find the writing of today's comics to be far superior and more realistic than any other time period. I see no general slide in quality, quite the opposite in fact.


                        Originally posted by The Namer View Post
                        I am sure I am wrong about this, but cannot find any examples.

                        Books with a male lead pretty much have to have a strong female character in them too. But books with a female lead don't seem to have the same requirement for a strong male character.....

                        I have scoured the comics books available right now, and I am struggling to find an exception to this rule. I am sure there is one - but as a generalisation, this does seem to be correct.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X