Dark Circle Comics by Archie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Circle Comics by Archie

Anyone reading the new Black Hood by Dark Circle? He's the launch book for a new universe of heroes by Archie that's revamping these classic characters. Pretty exciting!

Did a review of the first issue at http://bslydarksky.blogspot.com/2015...ood.html?m=1so check it out if you're interested. I think it'll be a fun little universe to follow.

I plan on getting The Fox and The Shield. The Black Hood type of book has been done before, and better, with things like Garth Ennis' Punisher. Not a huge fan of either Swiczierski or Gaydos.

Comment

http://bslydarksky.blogspot.com/2015...ck-hood-2.html

A full review I did of issue #2 of The Black Hood! Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
        I plan on getting The Fox and The Shield. The Black Hood type of book has been done before, and better, with things like Garth Ennis' Punisher. Not a huge fan of either Swiczierski or Gaydos.
        I initially thought that about the Black Hood too, but now that I've read the book I have to say it's not quite true. It's unlike anything on the stands, tbh.

Really, really well done. I'd suggest checking it out. I was surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by jsf View Post
          I initially thought that about the Black Hood too, but now that I've read the book I have to say it's not quite true. It's unlike anything on the stands, tbh.

Really, really well done. I'd suggest checking it out. I was surprised.
          To each his own, I guess. I read the first issue, and it didn't do a thing for me. I liked New Crusaders (and really wished that could have continued), and The Fox: Freak Magnet, so I'll definitely be getting Fox Hunt. Maybe The Shield, but I'm having seconds thoughts... haven't decided yet.

Comment

Picked up the FCBD Dark Circle offering and was very disappointed. I was hoping for more info of The Shield but we got a couple of text pages with noting we haven't read and a couple of drawings. Guess I was hoping for a preview of the up coming book.
            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

If you haven't read it how do you know it has been 'done better'?

Comment

Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
                If you haven't read it how do you know it has been 'done better'?
                I've got to agree about not having interest in this. Looked through it in the store, but it didn't look much different / much better than similar concepts (including the recent X from Dark Horse, which was also by the same writer).

And revamping a superhero line after just revamping the superhero line not that long ago doesn't exactly come across as encouraging.

Comment

I wanted Red Circle to bring back the MLJ heroes... like The Shield, The Wizard, The Hangman, Blackjack, Steel Sterling, Mr. Justice, The Black Hood, Roy, and Dusty.

If you have to write it more gritty for today's audience... ok. Bring them back as heroes in a darker time. Just write them better. And draw them better.!!

Why turn The Shield into a woman.... have a dark, and gritty drug-addelled Black Hood, ... an "off-the-wall" Fox... and an even darker Hangman.??

Seems like you could have JUST made them more heroic .... just write them with today's sensibilities. And give them an artist who can draw super-heroes.!!

Will Dynamite return Black Terror, The Flame, the Grim Reaper, Fighting Yank, Miss Masque, Daredevil, Doc Strange, The Woman in Red, ... and other domain heroes.???

I can't figure out why they can't.!!
                  Last edited by Magno; 06-26-2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

And it appears Archie / Red Circle / Dark Circle still has no clues as to what all they are doing here!

They've managed to publish eleven issues for their latest Black Hood (issue #11 shipped Wednesday June 29th), but they've announced they're relaunching with a new #1 issue under a "Season 2" due out in September.

As for The Shield and The Hangman, the latest issue of The Shield was #2 (published in February 2016) while The Hangman #3 shipped in March 2016. Next issues for both titles are currently planned for . . . October?!?

http://archiecomics.com/get-sneak-pe...eptember-2016/

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                      And it appears Archie / Red Circle / Dark Circle still has no clues as to what all they are doing here!

They've managed to publish eleven issues for their latest Black Hood (issue #11 shipped Wednesday June 29th), but they've announced they're relaunching with a new #1 issue under a "Season 2" due out in September.[/URL]
                      I'll go along with the "no clues as to what they're doing" part. Not that that has anything to do with the numbering of the title. They're just trying to copy what works for Marvel & DC. If sales fall off, what do they do? BAM! New #1 issue. At least they're not labeling it as "Dark Circle NOW!" or "Dark Circle Rebirth" or something (too obvious?)

No, I'd say the "no clues as to what they're doing" part has a lot more to so with the concept and the content. They pretty much lost me after the final issue of THE FOX: FOX HUNT. If they think they're going to compete head-to-head against the darker titles published by Marvel and DC, they're out of their ever-loving minds. If that's the "mature readers" kind of book you prefer, there are LOTS of better ones out there, not just the ones published by the Big Two. They'd be better off counter-programming with lighter and fun "teen+" titles -- there are far fewer good examples of those books on the market.

But really, the problem is bigger than that. ANYONE who chooses to take on the task of trying to start a line of superhero comics is trying to punch their way through a brick wall. The last time something like that worked for anyone even a little bit was the Valiant Comics reboot -- but it's almost like they're not even really superhero books, more like sci-fi/adventure titles. Besides, they were a bunch of investment capitalists with deep pockets who managed to be in the right place at the right time to tap into nostalgia for the '90s Valiant Comics. That and a lot of marketing savvy. I mean yeah, there Image's Millarworld line, but that's built more around Millar's name and following, and less about the specific characters -- if they can find someone with that kind a A-level talent to spearhead a superhero line, then maybe. If even Dark Horse Comics couldn't make it in the superhero genre, what makes Archie Comics think they have a chance? I mean -- Duane Swiczerski wrote X for Dark Horse, a very similar title to Black Hood that couldn't find an audience either.
                      Last edited by pulphero; 07-05-2016, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I'll go along with the "no clues as to what they're doing" part. Not that that has anything to do with the numbering of the title. They're just trying to copy what works for Marvel & DC. If sales fall off, what do they do? BAM! New #1 issue. At least they're not labeling it as "Dark Circle NOW!" or "Dark Circle Rebirth" or something (too obvious?)
                        I'm technically responding to the person you were responding to yourself, but personally I have no problem with the "seasonal" approach, or planning by volumes, at least from smaller publishers. I don't view it much differently than Dynamite publishing a Green Hornet mini, then a couple of months after its conclusion, announcing another.

The only way in which I find Dynamite's methods irritating is that it typically includes a complete relaunch of the character(s) themselves, like that Sovereigns thing. But otherwise, I was just as eager for volume 2 of Project Superpowers, back in the day, as I was for volume 1.

Comment

Working...
                        X