BATGIRL #43
    DETECTIVE COMICS #43
    GOTHAM ACADEMY #9
    HARLEY QUINN #19
    HARLEY QUINN ROAD TRIP SPECIAL #1
    BATMAN 66 #26
    THE BOY COMMANDOS BY JOE SIMON AND JACK KIRBY VOL. 2 HC

Comment

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Bombshells series, just hope the characters are handled well, particularly Wonder Woman. I'm planning on trying out a few series in June so if they still interest me in August I plan on getting:

Superman #43
      Wonder Woman #43
      Aquaman #43
      Action Comics #43

Maybe:

Martian Manhunter #3
      DC Comics Bombshells #1
      Last edited by JDH; 05-30-2015, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Currently expect to be buying:
        * DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #1 (print version)
        * BATGIRL #43
        * CATWOMAN #43
        * DETECTIVE COMICS #43
        * GOTHAM ACADEMY #9
        * GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT #8

May be buying (if the two issues before were sufficiently interesting enough):
        * BATMAN #43
        * BLACK CANARY #3
        * WE ARE...ROBIN #3

Comment

I'm kind of confused as to what's going on with BATMAN BEYOND. The solicitation for issue #1 seemed to hint at a rebooted version of the character in the wake of the events of FUTURES END and CONVERGENCE... i.e., an altered version of the BBU that we'd seen in the prior series of BATMAN BEYOND (2010), BATMAN BEYOND (2011), BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE and BATMAN BEYOND UNLIMITED... which was itself a slightly-altered revamp of the original DC Kids WB BB series. Yet this month's solicitation for issue #3 seems to depict a cover which references all the continuity seen prior to the events affecting Terry McGinnis in FUTURES END. Anyone know what's up with the Dan Jurgens retake on BB? I mean, I know Terry McGinnis was killed and now Tim Drake (the Tim Drake of 2015) is now the Batman of some 35 years hence in Neo-Gotham, but it seems to me that you can't just paste-and-replace Terry McGinnis with Tim and everything else remains the same. Tim Drake became The Joker in that future, for cryin' out loud! Doesn't that alter everything in that future, big time? Isn't that Bruce Wayne over on the left hand side of the cover below, looming over the figure of Batman? Yet Bruce died in FUTURES END?!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...Y-V3-3a3ef.jpg

As for DC BOMBSHELLS, I loved the variant covers, but am unfamiliar with MARGUERITE SAUVAGE's work. Did she contribute any of the previously-seen cover images? The striking poster-like cover images are really the strongest part of this concept, and I don't know if that will translate into a regular panel-to-panel continuity. Obviously a lot of care was taken with the covers to focus on a single static image and make it very very polished -- that includes aging effects applied, careful choice and placement of logo and text and other parts of the image that just won't fit into a story-based panel continuity. The essential idea here behind the "bombshells" are that they are "pin-ups" or "nose art" done in a retro WWII style. The big mystery to me here is while DC seems to be merchandising the concept on just about every other level (statues, t-shirts, etc.; and now a digital-first comic book) ... no ART BOOK?!? ... That's what I really wanted to buy! I'll probably wait until reviews of the series are available and the story is out in TPB to decide whether to bother with this.
          Last edited by pulphero; 05-31-2015, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Some helpful info, though I think DC is trying not to give too many spoilers:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...cs-future-2015

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/in...a/1100-151597/

http://www.newsarama.com/23745-batma...e-in-june.html

So basically the Tim we see here is not getting spliced into the original Batman Beyond universe (which is itself not the future that Terry came from in Worlds End, which is fine with me because I like the original and apparently that's out there doing just fine), but into the future of the current main ("artist formerly known as the New 52") DCU.

For all practical purposes, I think thinking of this as a new future universe we haven't seen till the first issue is best. I think whatever resemblance there is between this Batman Beyond and classic/animated/DCAU Batman Beyond will be sort of like the resemblance between classic Earth-Two and the New 52 Earth 2, or even more divergent than that.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
              Some helpful info, though I think DC is trying not to give too many spoilers:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...cs-future-2015

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/in...a/1100-151597/

http://www.newsarama.com/23745-batma...e-in-june.html

So basically the Tim we see here is not getting spliced into the original Batman Beyond universe (which is itself not the future that Terry came from in Worlds End, which is fine with me because I like the original and apparently that's out there doing just fine), but into the future of the current main ("artist formerly known as the New 52") DCU.

For all practical purposes, I think thinking of this as a new future universe we haven't seen till the first issue is best. I think whatever resemblance there is between this Batman Beyond and classic/animated/DCAU Batman Beyond will be sort of like the resemblance between classic Earth-Two and the New 52 Earth 2, or even more divergent than that.
              Thanks for the links. I guess what threw me is that cover image to issue #3 in the solicitations. First there is the use of the word "Universe" in the title logo, which I didn't remember seeing on the first two issues. Then there are the characters depicted on the cover, all of whom had appeared quite recently in the final issues of the previous BATMAN BEYOND series, which makes the series seem to be picking up right where the previous series left off. Even the art style on this cover seems to harken back to the style of the previous series. I actually had to go check the cover of the previous BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE #3, to make sure they hadn't somehow goofed and provided the wrong cover image for the solicitations. I will probably hold off until the first trade paperback is available, although I might try to sneak a quick scan of the first couple issues when they hit the stores, just to see if I can figure out what's going on. I'll want to get some reviewers' opinions first. Of course this business of "the real future of the (current) DCU" doesn't hold any water. There will always be others introduced along the way, and as stated, the previous BBU still exists, so it's one among many. In fact, the less it relates to the present-day DCU the better. I don't even really know how Tim Drake became Red Robin according to the revised N52DCU, if he was never Robin to begin with. That seems to make his connection to the present Bruce Wayne/Batman pretty tenuous. Frankly, I wouldn't even bother trying to figure out what's going on with this, if it weren't for the fact that I like Dan Jurgens and Bernard Chang's work. I wouldn't mind if Jurgens tossed an appearance by Booster Gold, Rip Hunter, or Waverider into the book, by way of trying to explain exactly what events transpired (from the POV of its inhabitants) to create this particular 'alternate future' (by which I mean, if it's the future, then it's "alternate" by definition).

There is, sadly, little left for me to cling to, in current comics published by either DC or Marvel. The more a title is on its own, apart from any ties to what's going on in other ongoing titles, the more likely I am to give it a chance (provided it's a character and creative team that interests me on some level in the first place). I think Convergence and Secret Wars were the straws that finally broke the camel's back when it comes to any patience/interest in any "events" being orchestrated by the Big Two. That in the wake of those two, that leaves me with Astro City, Batman '66, and (MAYBE) Batman Beyond for DC (Wonder Woman '77 was just a one-shot, right?), and I'm not sure what (if anything) for Marvel, once Waid wraps up his Daredevil and Slott/Allred wrap up their Silver Surfer. Oh, I guess I'll probably get Secret Wars (the main series) when it hits TPB, since it's the conclusion of the extended storyline begun in Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers -- just to see how the final events played out.
              Last edited by pulphero; 06-01-2015, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                . . . There is, sadly, little left for me to cling to, in current comics published by either DC or Marvel. The more a title is on its own, apart from any ties to what's going on in other ongoing titles, the more likely I am to give it a chance (provided it's a character and creative team that interests me on some level in the first place). I think Convergence and Secret Wars were the straws that finally broke the camel's back when it comes to any patience/interest in any "events" being orchestrated by the Big Two . . .
                I'm not sure why you (and others) say / think that about Convergence and compare it so directly to Secret Wars. Convergence wasn't ever billed as an "end of the universe as we know it" event; it was a two-month gap filler in the DC schedule while the company relocated operations across the country. Yes, many artists and writers weren't moving because they don't normally work out of DC's offices, but there are many others involved in producing the monthly books that were directly affected by the move and wouldn't be able to do the jobs they needed to do during some of that time.

DC made use of the two-month break to shake things up a bit with their main "formerly-known-as-the-New-52" line, but it isn't a massive relaunching / reboot of the DC universe that was introduced in 2011. As for Secret Wars, that's interrupting much of the main comic book line for longer than two months, and the final consequences of it aren't fully known yet. It seems more like it could be a Crisis on Marvel Earths than something along the lines of Convergence.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                  I'm not sure why you (and others) say / think that about Convergence and compare it so directly to Secret Wars. Convergence wasn't ever billed as an "end of the universe as we know it" event; it was a two-month gap filler in the DC schedule while the company relocated operations across the country. Yes, many artists and writers weren't moving because they don't normally work out of DC's offices, but there are many others involved in producing the monthly books that were directly affected by the move and wouldn't be able to do the jobs they needed to do during some of that time.

DC made use of the two-month break to shake things up a bit with their main "formerly-known-as-the-New-52" line, but it isn't a massive relaunching / reboot of the DC universe that was introduced in 2011. As for Secret Wars, that's interrupting much of the main comic book line for longer than two months, and the final consequences of it aren't fully known yet. It seems more like it could be a Crisis on Marvel Earths than something along the lines of Convergence.
                  It has nothing to do with whether or not Convergence is any kind of reboot. It has everything to do with the "all-the-eggs-in-one-basket" approach of the Big Two to marketing the vast majority of their comic universe titles. OK, you want everyone to spend more money and buy more of your comics, so you make sure everything is inextricably woven together, pretty much all of the books you publish -- I get it. And it must work with most readers, or they wouldn't keep doing it, over, and over, and OVER. So for months, Convergence or Secret Wars are all but unavoidable for readers of the Big Two's comics. Fine then, Big Two... you want to make it "all or nothing"... then I choose nothing (or pretty close to nothing, a few paltry titles at most). I'll admit I was already getting pretty tired of it around the time of Marvel's "Siege" and DC's "Flashpoint". Now I'm just beyond caring, so I've drawn the line.
                  Last edited by pulphero; 06-01-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

It has nothing to do with whether or not Convergence is any kind of reboot. It has everything to do with the "all-the-eggs-in-one-basket" approach of the Big Two to marketing the vast majority of their comic universe titles. OK, you want everyone to spend more money and buy more of your comics, so you make sure everything is inextricably woven together, pretty much all of the books you publish -- I get it. And it must work with most readers, or they wouldn't keep doing it, over, and over, and OVER. So for months, Convergence or Secret Wars are all but unavoidable for readers of the Big Two's comics. Fine then, Big Two... you want to make it "all or nothing"... then I choose nothing (or pretty close to nothing, a few paltry titles at most). I'll admit I was already getting pretty tired of it around the time of Marvel's "Siege" and DC's "Flashpoint". Now I'm just beyond caring, so I've drawn the line.
                    Well supposedly, once DC gets done with Convergence, they've promised to place "Story over Continuity," with crossovers, lots of guest stars and the like being a rare occasion. You can take that as a grain of salt if you wish, as I suppose only time will tell if that turns out to be true, but it's an idea I'm really down with, as I stay away from Marvel Comics mostly due to the fact that it seems like nearly everything is tied into the current Marvel U event. Secret Wars seems to be pushing that even further, with every in-continuity book being tied into it, if I'm correct.

Comment

. . . So for months, Convergence or Secret Wars are all but unavoidable for readers of the Big Two's comics . . .
                      No, Convergence wasn't "all but unavoidable". It had no real connection to any of the main DC New 52 titles I had been buying, so I didn't buy the Convergence weekly series.

I did buy some of the two-issue monthly books, but only those titles which I thought might be of interest to me.

Comment

(Wonder Woman '77 was just a one-shot, right?)
                        What about Sensation Comics and Legends of the Dark Knight?

Comment

(Wonder Woman '77 was just a one-shot, right?)
                          Wonder Woman '77 was just a one-shot so far in terms of the print version; it was a few episodes as a Digital First offering that were combined into the one print version. There has also been talk there may be more in the future, but I'm not sure if anything is on the schedule at present.

Comment

Yeah, in practice I found Sensation Comics to have a lot more misses than hits. There were a couple I liked (like the Gilbert Hernandez story), but most I didn't. And wasn't Legends of the Dark Knight cancelled back in 2013? Again, a series with (to me) more misses than hits. Adventures of Superman, on average, was much better than the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                              Wonder Woman '77 was just a one-shot so far in terms of the print version; it was a few episodes as a Digital First offering that were combined into the one print version. There has also been talk there may be more in the future, but I'm not sure if anything is on the schedule at present.
                              Are there more digital issues available than just the ones they reprinted in the one-shot WW '77 Special?

Comment

Working...
                              X