ID:	49646
    Look! Vartox!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...-solicitations

Getting when they come out:

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #13
    DOCTOR FATE #4
    EARTH 2: SOCIETY #4
    SECRET SIX #6
    SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN #14 (fretting a little about this one, as it refers to "Strife" and not "Eris," so I'm praying it's not the Azzarello/New 52 WW)
    STARFIRE #4
    ACTION COMICS #44
    BATMAN/SUPERMAN #24
    SUPERMAN #44
    BAT-MITE #4
    BATMAN BEYOND #4
    HARLEY QUINN AND POWER GIRL #4
    THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE #6
    ASTRO CITY #27

Getting later on when I can afford them, most likely:

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #4
    BLACK CANARY #4
    DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #2
    JUSTICE LEAGUE 3001 #4
    BATGIRL #44
    DETECTIVE COMICS #44
    GOTHAM ACADEMY #10
    HARLEY QUINN #20
    BATMAN 66 #27
    BATMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS HC (if I don't wind up getting the older archive editions with the same material; it might be cheaper and certainly less unwieldy)

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
      BATMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS HC (if I don't wind up getting the older archive editions with the same material; it might be cheaper and certainly less unwieldy)
      If you can FIND the older DC Archives. The Batman Archives is the oldest one of them all, going back to 1990. But the thing with the Batman Archives was, it only reprinted the Batman stories from Detective Comics, not the ones from Batman. To reprint the stories from the Batman comic book, there was a different series, Batman: The Dark Knight Archives, which began in 1992. Similarly, Golden Age Superman stories were reprinted in two different series, Superman Archives, and Superman in Action Comics Archives. Later on, a third Archives series was added for both Batman and Superman, reprinting their respective Golden Age solo stories from World's Finest Comics, and still later, because all those Archives series were taking too long to get to the Silver Age adventures, DC added Batman: The Dynamic Duo Archives and Superman: The Man of Tomorrow Archives. It now appears that the DC Archives program has been discontinued.

Eventually though, DC started to reprint both the Golden Age Batman and Superman stories in the chronological order of their first publication, and those trade paperback collections were appropriately dubbed The Batman Chronicles and The Superman Chronicles. Many of the early volumes in both of these series are now out of print and hard to find. In 2013, DC published the oversized Golden Age Superman Omnibus, Vol. 1, which reprinted the Superman stories from Action Comics #1-31 and Superman #1-7 (or all the Superman stories from June 1938 through December 1940 cover dates). This was equivalent to the same contents as The Superman Chronicles TPB Vols. 1 through 4. The cover price of the Chronicles TPBs was $14.99 each, but you could expect to pay a lot more for the out of print volumes. I've been expecting that Batman's stories would get the similar Omnibus treatment. If you want this one, I wouldn't wait a few years before picking it up. By the way, DC's Golden Age Superman Omnibus, Vol. 1 is only slightly oversized (in fact, the same size in cover dimensions, if not page count, as the recent 75th Anniversary hardcover collections of Batman, Superman, Lois Lane, Flash, Shazam, Robin); it isn't the same sort of massive heavy tome as their Absolute Editions or some of their earlier Omnibus editions.
      Last edited by pulphero; 06-18-2015, 02:05 AM.

Comment

To get whenever I get around to getting them:

CATWOMAN: A CELEBRATION OF 75 YEARS HC
        BATMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS HC
        BATMAN ADVENTURES VOL. 3 TP
        ASTRO CITY: PRIVATE LIVES TP
        FABLES: THE WOLF AMONG US VOL. 1 TP

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          The cover price of the Chronicles TPBs was $14.99 each, but you could expect to pay a lot more for the out of print volumes. I've been expecting that Batman's stories would get the similar Omnibus treatment. If you want this one, I wouldn't wait a few years before picking it up.
          Alas, I don't have a lot of choice financially here. C'est la vie...

Comment

Alas, I don't have a lot of choice financially here. C'est la vie...
            Well, that's just the big question... IF you could find the first 4 volumes of The Batman Chronicles (which contain the same stories as The Golden Age Batman Omnibus, Vol. 1) at cover price, then those four TPBs would cost you $60, a savings of $15 over buying the hardcover. IF. But I don't think you will be able to. I just checked Amazon, and here's what I find (maybe you'll have better luck somewhere else):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Batman Chronicles 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	48995

Comment

Yay!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1033[/ATTACH]
              Look! Vartox!
              IIRC, Vartox appeared in the pre-Flashpoint POWER GIRL series by Amanda Connor as well. Carry-over continuity?

Comment

* BATGIRL #44
                * BATMAN #44
                * CATWOMAN #44
                * DETECTIVE COMICS #44
                * DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #2
                * GOTHAM ACADEMY #10
                * GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT #9

maybe:
                * BATMAN ANNUAL #4 (written by Tynion? )

And if I haven't dropped the series yet,
                * BLACK CANARY #4
                * DOCTOR FATE #4
                * WE ARE...ROBIN #4

Comment

Well, that's just the big question...
                  No, I mean, right now the money's not there. Even a lot of the current books on my "buy when they come out" list are having to wait for me at my comics shop due to the awesome kindness of the shop-owner. The other day I finally got the last of my Convergence tie-in issues and, as a special treat, the latest two Sensation Comics issues. But summer tends to be a financially dry period for me.

(And before I get the Batman Chronicles I have other archive editions I'm more eager to get hold of anyway, whether via eBay or half.com or Amazon or the like, but all of that is down the road at some point. Till then, I just add them to my list...)

Comment

IIRC, Vartox appeared in the pre-Flashpoint POWER GIRL series by Amanda Connor as well. Carry-over continuity?
                    I don't know, but I hope we get some of the same sort of artwork.

Comment

. . . (And before I get the Batman Chronicles I have other archive editions I'm more eager to get hold of anyway, whether via eBay or half.com or Amazon or the like, but all of that is down the road at some point. Till then, I just add them to my list...)
                      Personally, I think the first Batman Chronicles / the first volume of the Detective Comics Archives is the most important one. Once Robin hits the series, there seems to be a lot more fluctuation between good stories and silly stories.

Comment

Actually, I mean non-Batman Golden Age stuff that I've had on my list for years now. There's tons. Indeed, every time I post my lists here, the "stuff to get later when I can afford it" lists just get added to, but it's not like I've been able to get any of them yet. I've been able to get one Warren archive collection (starting with the earliest ones) a year for myself as a Halloween treat, but that's been kind of an exception.

Comment

Actually, I mean non-Batman Golden Age stuff that I've had on my list for years now. There's tons. Indeed, every time I post my lists here, the "stuff to get later when I can afford it" lists just get added to, but it's not like I've been able to get any of them yet. I've been able to get one Warren archive collection (starting with the earliest ones) a year for myself as a Halloween treat, but that's been kind of an exception.
                          There was a time where I was at exactly where you're at now, with a "maybe someday" wishlist that went on and on, and was never able to get into any of that because I was too hopelessly addicted to whatever was going on in the monthly floppies. Slowly in the last 10 years, and especially in the last 5, the reprint stuff superseded the current Marvel and DC universe stuff in importance to me. I think what hit me in the last 5 years, in the main, was seeing virtually every comic I'd bought new in the 50 cent bins just a few years later. That, and a lot of bridge-burning by the Big Two in terms of kicking old continuity to the curb. I now have a greater appreciation for the old stuff I missed out on, ignored at the time, or am simply discovering for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                            Personally, I think the first Batman Chronicles / the first volume of the Detective Comics Archives is the most important one. Once Robin hits the series, there seems to be a lot more fluctuation between good stories and silly stories.
                            Well, yeah. But if that's all you wanted, the first volume of The Batman Archives was available and in-print (and even at times heavily discounted, on a few occasions when Diamond Comics and/or DC were determined to clear a lot of old stock out of the warehouse). So if you were only going for just the most "key" of all the key Golden Age material, that would be it. Of course, then you wouldn't have any of the stories with The Joker, Catwoman, Two-Face, Scarecrow, Penguin, etc... just Prof. Hugo Strange, the Mad Monk, and Dr. Death.

Comment

I am using voice to text through my phone so please excuse any grammar or spelling errors that may appear. :-) I do not think I would say that I am addicted lol I believe that I am picking up books by writers that I like because I happen to really like their work. when I get currency is cut far far down from what it was back when I had more money. back when I had more money, I picked up a bunch of our times editions but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to read them before the money issue kinda fell apart and we lost the house and so forth in the same big marketing housing collapse that hit a lot of other people around 2009. currently I am actually working on getting my archived editions out of the boxes where they are hiding and organizing them in chronological order so I can read the ones that I have :-) I will say that definitely I didn't realize that I had to drop a bunch of things simply weren't really giving me actual joy to read back in 2009. or, that's supposed to be did, not didn't this is the fun of voice to text. quite a few I realize that I was perfectly happy to drop a not pick up at all and quite a few were ones that I do want to get when I can afford some but there's a backlog going back there as well for a lot of those. and now off to read the sensation comics number 10 with the classic style Wonder Woman before going to bed good night all :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X