Clear All

• DC Comics Bombshells

Click image for larger version

Name:	1478285_ful.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	49659
    variant cover

Well, bought and read my print copy of DC Comics Bombshells #1, DC's latest Digital First offering.

Name:	STK680378-300x461.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	49660

While some choices that the writer made for this series may seem a bit strange / different from what I would have expected, and I wasn't overly-enchanted by some of the artwork, in general I plan to stick with this for a bit to see where things go.

Anybody else read this, either digitally or in print? Thoughts?
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 08-13-2015, 03:44 PM.

I have to ask, as a WW fan who dislikes the New 52 version (especially of the Amazons), how is WW and how are the Amazons depicted?

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
      Well, bought and read my print copy of DC Comics Bombshells #1, DC's latest Digital First offering.

Anybody else read this, either digitally or in print? Thoughts?
      Pretty much about what I thought. It's a great concept for a gallery of standalone images. The comic book story fails to capture whatever it is that's captivating about the pinup poster images.

If they did a pure art book, I'd be up for that.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
        I have to ask, as a WW fan who dislikes the New 52 version (especially of the Amazons), how is WW and how are the Amazons depicted?
        Too soon to say how the Amazons in general will be depicted, but in their initial appearance they're attacking both the U.S. and German fighter planes that had been in a battle above Paradise Island (with some of the Amazons flying by riding on the backs of giant birds), and they don't seem all that merciful.
        But then again, as they explain, they can't tell the differences between the Nazis and the Americans in this war . . . all they know is that the planes are causing the deaths of people on their island. "And where do your bombs and bullets fall, while you grapple above us, with no knowledge that we are here below? Such a battle took place over our heads once before, and though your weapons may miss their targets, they do not land blindly in the sea. They fall on our island. They maim and kill our children."

So, not necessarily the old-fashioned ambassadors of love so far, but still hard to say where things will go from here.

As for the "New 52" version you dislike, which one(s) are you talking about? The initial version that appeared in her own title has changed writer and artist not quite a year ago and it seems many people who hated that original New 52 version as she was depicted in her own title are happier now. (I don't read the book because it looks awful to me, but I liked what had been done before.) And there's always the print version of the Digital First Sensation Comics for stories that aren't part of the New 52 (though the branding now is DCYou).

Comment

Thank you! It sounds good; the New 52 version I mean is both Azzarello and Finch (and Johns and so on); I love the Sensation Comics classic-style version.

Comment

Thank you! It sounds good; the New 52 version I mean is both Azzarello and Finch (and Johns and so on); I love the Sensation Comics classic-style version.
            I noticed quite a bit of New 52 WW seeping into the Sensation Comics version they're publishing, although it's pretty variable according to the story and creators. Let's just say a lot more so than say, Adventures of Superman. It's not exactly the case of where it IS, or ISN'T, pre- or post-Flashpoint, it's mixing some elements of both.
            Last edited by pulphero; 08-14-2015, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
              I noticed quite a bit of New 52 WW seeping into the Sensation Comics version they're publishing, although it's pretty variable according to the story and creators. Let's just say a lot more so than say, Adventures of Superman. It's not exactly the case of where it IS, or ISN'T, pre- or post-Flashpoint, it's mixing some elements of both.
              Honestly, I haven't seen that at all. There's been a couple of miscolorations of the tiara, perhaps.

Comment

By the way, for future print releases:

Issue #2

Name:	DC_Bombshells_2.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	49025
                Wonder Woman defies her mother’s orders and attempts to break Captain Steve Trevor out of his prison cell on Themyscira. But to accomplish this, she’s going to summon a little help from the deep in the form of Mera, Princess of Atlantis. Meanwhile, in Russia, two new heroes are about to be created to serve the Soviet Union: Supergirl and Stargirl!

On Sale 9/2
                Issue #3

Name:	DC_Bombshells_3.jpg
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	49026
                A dark ritual is performed in a German cabaret, and a supernatural servant is brought forth to serve the Reich— has Zatanna been manipulated by The Joker’s Daughter? Plus, Batwoman leaves Gotham City, and Amanda Waller introduces her to an unearthly ally. And Wonder Woman gets into combat as she joins Mera on the European war front.

On Sale 10/14

Comment

Just got Sensation #13, and I think I see what you mean in this issue. Yikes. Apart from the costume, it was New 52, right on down to references to the Superman/WW romance, Superwoman being pregnant by the most powerful man on her world, etc. Wonder Woman also acted generally like a jerk throughout the story. Ick, ick, ick.

There's a much better story coming up, in which as part of the story, she's not only focused on making peace, but Superman even has the right costume, so this double-positive helps make up for it. The article is actually about her officiating a same-sex wedding, but I'm honestly most excited about the other stuff.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...iteOverride=au

Comment

Just got Sensation #13, and I think I see what you mean in this issue. Yikes. Apart from the costume, it was New 52, right on down to references to the Superman/WW romance, Superwoman being pregnant by the most powerful man on her world, etc. Wonder Woman also acted generally like a jerk throughout the story. Ick, ick, ick.
                    Like I said, it's quite variable from story to story (and creator to creator), with some stories containing 0% post-Flashpoint elements, and some quite a bit more than that. But it was clear to me that editorially, they weren't being strict about keeping SENSATION "New 52-free", which was my main point. I had stopped even looking at the last few issues of Sensation, but when I saw that cover with Superwoman looking very much like the version seen recently in Forever Evil, I had to read it. I will admit that this particular story represents one of the most extreme examples of what I was talking about so far; some of the prior ones were a lot more subtle about it, but if you really examined the story closely, it didn't strictly fit as either a pre-Flashpoint or post-Flashpoint WW story.

To the best of my recollection, it was the backup stories that tended to have the majority of the post-Flashpoint elements in the stories. I admit I did not read every single issue of this title, and only kept the first few, but unless I've forgotten, I seem to recall noticing this even in the very early issues (which is a good part of what put me off the book). I'll try to see if I can find a specific example in one of the earlier issues that I do have (or one that I can borrow if not), and post my findings later. You couldn't depend on just looking at how the artist drew the character either, you had to read the story and figure out whether it really fit the pre-New 52 version of WW. Apparently, the creators weren't given any particular mandates about which version of the WW character that they needed to conform to, which in one particular instance, resulted in a memorable 2-part story by Gilbert Hernandez (of Love & Rockets) that featured the Silver Age pre-Crisis Supergirl. I sure wish there had been more stories like that.
                    Last edited by pulphero; 08-20-2015, 05:56 AM.

Comment

By the way, for the print version of DC Comics Bombshells, there will be two issues released in November:

Name:	DC_Bombshells_4.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	49038
                      DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #4
                      Shipping twice in November! In a London hospital, a strange patient has a message for Dr. Harleen Quinzel…one that leads the doctor to hijack a plane out of the city! And, Supergirl and Stargirl lead a bombing raid, only to discover a terrible secret that leaves them questioning their loyalties. Plus, Batwoman arrives in Italy where she encounters Contessa Selina Digatti—a.k.a. the Catwoman!
                      On Sale 11/11
                      http://www.dccomics.com/comics/dc-co...s-bombshells-4

Name:	DC_Bombshells_5.jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	49039
                      DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #5
                      While Wonder Woman leads an American infantry division in an attack on an Axis battalion, Harley makes a none-too-graceful landing in France, where she encounters a woman with a strange affinity for plants. Plus, Supergirl and Stargirl fly home to protect their parents, only to be attacked by a fearsome forest spirit known as the Swamp Thing.
                      On Sale 11/25
                      http://www.dccomics.com/comics/dc-co...s-bombshells-5

Oh, and as a point of reference, this is a Digital First weekly book, and August and October both have five Saturdays in the month this year.

Comment

Apparently, the creators weren't given any particular mandates about which version of the WW character that they needed to conform to, which in one particular instance, resulted in a memorable 2-part story by Gilbert Hernandez (of Love & Rockets) that featured the Silver Age pre-Crisis Supergirl. I sure wish there had been more stories like that.
                        Well, there may be more, and I second that!

Comment

Working...
                        X