X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Yates' Legend of Tarzan

Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg0HWRi7gkM

Based on the trailer, I'm not quite sold on it just yet. It's hard to tell at this point, but there seems to be a decent amount of CGI involved unfortunately, although it could be worse. Still interested in this though.

On the positive side, at least it's a period piece. On the negative side, there's bound to be a ton of anachronisms. You can never tell for sure from the trailer, but I can see there's a high potential cheese factor here. CGI is needed for this to work, but whether it succeeds or not is going to depend on the story and acting, as well as how well they integrate the CGI with practical effects and stuntwork.

Comment

The trailer looks good but I just hate those stupid pants they have Tarzan wearing. I mean ohh really.. the 21st Century is becoming more prudish then the Victorians.

Ralph

Originally posted by JDH View Post
      Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg0HWRi7gkM

Based on the trailer, I'm not quite sold on it just yet. It's hard to tell at this point, but there seems to be a decent amount of CGI involved unfortunately, although it could be worse. Still interested in this though.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
        the 21st Century is becoming more prudish then the Victorians.

Ralph
        Tell me about it. I've seen reports of 6th grad girls getting in trouble for wearing leggings (because the boys won't be able to concentrate). Back in my day I can remember girls wearing micro mini skirts (skirts so short they had matching panties attached.) None the guys I hung out with had any problems concentrating on school work.
        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

I'm just not sure what the problem is here. Who's supposed to be offended? Hetrosexual men? Hardly. Women? Gays? I would have thought the more they can see the better.

The whole point was that Tarzan's near nudity expressed his raw, untamed masculine power, perhaps that was just too much for the movie people.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
          Tell me about it. I've seen reports of 6th grad girls getting in trouble for wearing leggings (because the boys won't be able to concentrate). Back in my day I can remember girls wearing micro mini skirts (skirts so short they had matching panties attached.) None the guys I hung out with had any problems concentrating on school work.

Comment

I've been referring to it as the age of over reaction. No matte what you do you're sure to offend somebody and people are over reacting
            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Or, just possibly, people are overreacting about the fact that he's wearing pants in some of these scenes from the trailer? Granted that modern Tarzan movies have a pretty poor batting average. Casper Van Dien also wore pants in some (maybe most) scenes in Tarzan and the Lost City (1998), so it's not even a new fashion in this case. ERB never spent all that much time detailing what sort of garments he wore in each scene of every story. Maybe Tarzan just didn't have time to stop and figure out "Now where can I find a loincloth on short notice?" If it's any consolation, I'm sure Kala didn't go out shopping for pants for him -- it's probably just convenient that that's what he was wearing when he returned from civilization. It's not like Tarzan has some official costume like a superhero, and somehow I never pictured him as spending much time worrying about whether he's fashionably attired for jungle work. If you want realism, then he'd probably just go nude, since the mangani would hardly care about social propriety. Yet people seem to take it for granted that movie producers will change comic book characters' costumes, and never really make that big a deal over it. Somehow the overdressing issue seemed less bothersome to people in John Carter, where it affected pretty much an entire planet full of characters.

There are a lot more important things to worry about whether this movie will get right. It's not going to fail on the basis of "pants".
              Last edited by pulphero; 12-11-2015, 01:17 AM.

Comment

G;day,

I can't remember Casper Van Dien swinging through the trees with long pants. Its appropriate for Lord Greystroke to wears normal cloths when he is supposed to civilized but running around in the jungle? No.. pants come off. Its an artistic representation of the noble savage , thats why ERB and previous movie makers had him that way. Frankly he looks lame in long pants. Other people I showed the clip too said the same thing - "thats not Tarzan"

This is different from movie representations of ERB Martians. I had no problems with more covered Martians in the movie as actors are not words in a book or lines on paper, allowances need to be made for real humans to wear costumes. That doesn't really apply to Tarzan, his movie loin cloth covered him as much as a swimmer which is surely ok in modern society. And ohh.. Burroughs had Tarzan getting his first loincloth from an African native,

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                Or, just possibly, people are overreacting about the fact that he's wearing pants in some of these scenes from the trailer? Granted that modern Tarzan movies have a pretty poor batting average. Casper Van Dien also wore pants in some (maybe most) scenes in Tarzan and the Lost City (1998), so it's not even a new fashion in this case. ERB never spent all that much time detailing what sort of garments he wore in each scene of every story. Maybe Tarzan just didn't have time to stop and figure out "Now where can I find a loincloth on short notice?" If it's any consolation, I'm sure Kala didn't go out shopping for pants for him -- it's probably just convenient that that's what he was wearing when he returned from civilization. It's not like Tarzan has some official costume like a superhero, and somehow I never pictured him as spending much time worrying about whether he's fashionably attired for jungle work. If you want realism, then he'd probably just go nude, since the mangani would hardly care about social propriety. Yet people seem to take it for granted that movie producers will change comic book characters' costumes, and never really make that big a deal over it. Somehow the overdressing issue seemed less bothersome to people in John Carter, where it affected pretty much an entire planet full of characters.

There are a lot more important things to worry about whether this movie will get right. It's not going to fail on the basis of "pants".

Comment

I can't remember Casper Van Dien swinging through the trees with long pants. Its appropriate for Lord Greystroke to wears normal cloths when he is supposed to civilized but running around in the jungle? No.. pants come off.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	tarzan-and-the-lost-city.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	49093

So you don't remember it. I believe you. Here's something to refresh your memory. Sure he could take them off, but then they'd have to change the movie rating. (Personally, IMO Jane is the one who's overdressed for the jungle, here.)

And ohh.. Burroughs had Tarzan getting his first loincloth from an African native,
                  Strangely enough, they didn't show that particular scene in the trailer. But then I guess they'd have to show him running around naked before he steals the loincloth. (In the old Tarzan movies, I guess you were supposed to assume that Kala raised him wearing a loincloth.) I guess there's not always a convenient native around that he can shake down for a change of wardrobe whenever he needs one.

So they didn't show you ALL the scenes from the movie. They showed SOME of the scenes. In this case, scenes where he's just returned from civilization, and hasn't had time to visit the local "Loincloth Hut" franchise, or bonk some local tribesman over the head and steal his, or kill a passing lion and skin it. Loincloths don't grow on trees, you know. Should he just magically appear wearing a loincloth after the camera cuts away, or should he be wearing one under his normal street clothes like some sort of superhero union suit? So, he arrives back in the jungle. Then the action starts, and crazy stuff starts happening. But wait, he isn't dressed in his loincloth yet. "Well, darn it, you guys, I'd LOVE to just swing into action here spontaneously and do something heroic, but... you know, I'm really not dressed for it. Nope, just not feelin' jungle lordish enough today without the loincloth. Sorry, but I just can't get my kreegah on without it. Keep an eye out and let me know if you notice a native tribesman or a lion wandering about somewhere, will you lads? Until then my hands are tied." Or, why don't we keep this in perspective and not freak out over something that's probably nothing.
                  Last edited by pulphero; 12-12-2015, 02:09 AM.

Comment

G'day,

I think the reason I didn't remember him in pants in the jungle was because I remembered him like this:

Name:	9e0395595886a98ae88933e0214362f2.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	49094

Which certainly looks more Tarzanish then:

Name:	tarzan-2016-alexander-skarsgard.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	49095

Lost City wasn't the most memorable of movies so I can't remember how he got his loin cloth perhaps he brought it with him.

And he's not wearing long pants in the picture you posted either.

Ralph

Comment

I'm just not sure what the problem is here. Who's supposed to be offended? Hetrosexual men? Hardly. Women? Gays? I would have thought the more they can see the better.

The whole point was that Tarzan's near nudity expressed his raw, untamed masculine power, perhaps that was just too much for the movie people.
                      Or it may be an issue if they're marketing a movie to hopefully make money in other countries as well?

Comment

The point, Ralph, is that you didn't even remember Casper Van Dien wearing pants in The Lost City. Which means he wore pants in some scenes (which you chose not to remember), and in other scenes he wore a loincloth. The point isn't that he ripped the legs off his pants in those scenes where he was still wearing them. Just because you see Tarzan wearing pants in scenes from the new trailer doesn't mean he wears pants throughout the entire film. It doesn't mean that the filmmakers' vision of Tarzan is "he doesn't wear a loincloth". He just got caught with his pants on. He's not Superman or Batman, and he isn't required to put on his official superhero costume to protect his secret identity before he can go into action.
                        Last edited by pulphero; 12-12-2015, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Well maybe I'm just being my usual reactionary cynical self but let's wait and see. The movie is due April next year. Loincloth or no loincloth? To be continued......

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                          The point, Ralph, is that you didn't even remember Casper Van Dien wearing pants in The Lost City. Which means he wore pants in some scenes (which you chose not to remember), and in other scenes he wore a loincloth. The point isn't that he ripped the legs off his pants in those scenes where he was still wearing them. Just because you see Tarzan wearing pants in scenes from the new trailer doesn't mean he wears pants throughout the entire film. It doesn't mean that the filmmakers' vision of Tarzan is "he doesn't wear a loincloth". He just got caught with his pants on. He's not Superman or Batman, and he isn't required to put on his official superhero costume to protect his secret identity before he can go into action.

Comment

Well maybe I'm just being my usual reactionary cynical self but let's wait and see. The movie is due April next year. Loincloth or no loincloth? To be continued......
                            Well, that's what I mean. April 2016 is months away. The final Tarzan movie that will be seen by people in theaters at that time does not yet exist. It's still being worked on, to complete post-production and final editing. As such, it's not as if someone were to hand you a complete DVD of the final film, and task you with assembling a 3 minute highlight reel of the best and/or most representative scenes from the film. No, they're still feeling their way in the dark here, trying to shape all the raw footage into what will become the final completed cut. They want to show some exciting action sequence from the picture, but there are a limited number of those that are completed, and the CGI guys aren't prioritizing their work with an eye towards the needs of the guy whose job it is to edit together some kind of trailer. Those CGI guys are probably working on their own issues at a frantic pace, so can you try to imagine the trailer editor going to them to complain "Have you got any other action sequences? I can't use this." "Why not, what's wrong with it? It's pretty much completed." "Well, I mean, look at it." "I don't see anything wrong." "Are you daft? He's wearing pants! If we go showing them that in the trailer, they're going to think he's wearing pants in the entire film! Haven't you got something with him wearing the loincloth?!" "Yeaaah, right. We'll get right on that.... call us in a couple of weeks to check back." If you think hard about it, you can probably think of many examples of trailers that give a very inaccurate impression of what the final film actually turned out to be like, so it's worth keeping that in mind.
                            Last edited by pulphero; 12-14-2015, 03:43 AM.

Comment

i am cautiously optimistic about this film. my hope is we get a sequel and with it, can do something with Pal Ul Don. hey, Jurassic World proved dinosaurs are still popular

Comment

Working...
                              X