No announcement yet.

David Yates' Legend of Tarzan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just seen the movie which I thought was just awesome so do see it but:

SPOILER WARNING!!
    SPOILER WARNING!!

SPOILER WARNING!!

OK, well the pants issue is settled. He keeps his pants on until the last few seconds of the movie. Disappointed but as I said overall the movie was great! A more serious gripe I had was making Opar just another African tribe with diamonds. I suppose they might still be able to fit in the lost civilisation angle in a future movie but they seem to be working against that. Losing that fantasy aspect limits their story telling potential , frankly I want to see an updated La of Opar who would probably be played by an African lady.

Below is a brief review I posted on my Facebook:

Just saw Legend of Tarzan and Old Man Ralph loved it! Awesome movie. Alexander Skarsgård made a great Tarzan , probably the closest anyone has come to portraying Burroughs's Lord of the Jungle. Christoph Waltz was also great as the villain in fact at times I wasn't sure who the main lead was supposed to be, Tarzan or him. Margo Robbie made a good Jane and Samuel L Jackson was fun. The CGI worked well and I was just enthralled by the movie. Not much fidgeting from the audience which is always a good sign. I walked out of the cinema still exhilarated something that rarely happens these days. I do hope its a financial success so we get a sequel. *****

Comment

Hmm. I just did a brief search for reviews on the film, and they are quite literally all over the map, so now I'm not sure what to think. None of them seem to ever mention the original ERB novels as a reference point either, so I can't be sure where these critics are coming from. The other thing that makes it hard to judge is how it might compare to any previously-existing Tarzan films. To say that it doesn't really have to be a very great film in order to still qualify for the title of Best Tarzan Movie Ever Made is probably an understatement.

A lot of the reviewers seemed to get bogged down in talking about how its inherently politically incorrect aspects relate to (or don't) the current worldview of 21st century global culture. Roger Ebert is so eager to pursue that tangent in his review (actual quote: "The way the semiotics play out should be somewhat queasy-making even if you aren’t paying close attention." Wha--??) that he hardly gets around to assessing it as a film until his final paragraph, and by that time it's almost some kind of dismissive afterthought, as if to say in summary "Well, apart from all that I suppose it was a decent action film, if not a particularly original story plot.", even if he acknowledges that "For what it’s worth, “The Legend of Tarzan” is several unpretentious cuts above the pompous, leaden “Greystoke” of over thirty years ago."

Oddly enough, not one review I read mentioned the pants, though. The critical consensus on Rotten Tomatoes only garnered a 34% freshness rating.
      Last edited by pulphero; 07-10-2016, 12:00 PM.

Comment

G'day,

Yep, they are all over the place . Some hated it, some like the Mail reviewer loved it :A brilliant adaptation of the classic Tarzan story that really swings...bring on the sequel!

Don't care. Loved it . Just go and see it.

Note, it is doing considerably better in the cinema then expected so I think theres good word of mouth.

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
        Hmm. I just did a brief search for reviews on the film, and they are quite literally all over the map, so now I'm not sure what to think. None of them seem to ever mention the original ERB novels as a reference point either, so I can't be sure where these critics are coming from. The other thing that makes it hard to judge is how it might compare to any previously-existing Tarzan films. To say that it doesn't really have to be a very great film in order to still qualify for the title of Best Tarzan Movie Ever Made is probably an understatement.

A lot of the reviewers seemed to get bogged down in talking about how its inherently politically incorrect aspects relate to (or don't) the current worldview of 21st century global culture. Roger Ebert is so eager to pursue that tangent in his review (actual quote: "The way the semiotics play out should be somewhat queasy-making even if you aren’t paying close attention." Wha--??) that he hardly gets around to assessing it as a film until his final paragraph, and by that time it's almost some kind of dismissive afterthought, as if to say in summary "Well, apart from all that I suppose it was a decent action film, if not a particularly original story plot.", even if he acknowledges that "For what it’s worth, “The Legend of Tarzan” is several unpretentious cuts above the pompous, leaden “Greystoke” of over thirty years ago."

Oddly enough, not one review I read mentioned the pants, though. The critical consensus on Rotten Tomatoes only garnered a 34% freshness rating.

Comment

I have to admit you sort of had me convinced on the pants thing, because I didn't actually believe for a minute that they'd ever really do it. You were right, and I was wrong, and now it's really bugging me (the pants I mean, not being wrong about it).

I still stick by my basic premise that preview trailers essentially lie to you about the actual film all the time, though. The one that always sticks in my mind is the preview trailer for The Last Action Hero. That movie kind of bombed (and it sure didn't help that it opened against one of the Jurassic Park sequels), but I maintain that it's because the trailer tried to sell it as a straightforward Schwarzenegger action flick, which it wasn't -- people went in expecting one movie, but got a totally different one, and word of mouth killed it. It's really not a bad movie, it's just not the movie that the trailer was telling you you were going to be seeing. The movie actually satirizes the very thing that the trailer-watching audience came to see, and that must have pissed people off.
          Last edited by pulphero; 07-10-2016, 06:25 PM.

Comment

i really enjoyed it. they treat the character seriously. no camp or sillyness. Jane was portrayed as a strong and competent character. the only thing i would say against it is sometimes Sam Jackson acts like Sam Jackson. it kinda took me out of the film a few times... but its not a major problem.

Comment

This film was amazing, can't wait to get the DVD so I can watch it multiple times. Liked how they said that the apes were not gorillas but Mangani , I think it's still possible for them to have eighter Queen La or Palludon in a sequel. Most of the reviewers eighter compared this movie with Greystoke or Disneys Tarzan and not the novels. Some of these kids even thought Disney owned Tarzan, sad. But it is the most faithful Tarzan film ever made, looking forward to a sequel and bring back Djimon Hounsou as Chief Mbonga.(he was my favorite actor after Tarzan.)

Comment

I'm pretty late to the party on this, but I loved this movie. (I also really enjoyed "John Carter.") I know a Burroughs fan who hated this movie due to the tweaks in the Tarzan/Jane backstory and the Tarzan/Akut relationship, but I found it to be the most Burroughsian Tarzan film to date. Both the characters of Tarzan and Jane are the truest to the novels I've seen. I also know a guy who became a Burroughs fan after seeing this movie. I guess you just can't please everyone.
                DECODER RING THEATRE
                EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
                PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
                PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Working...
                X