Guns Of The black

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    Issues one through three now available on the Moonstone website.

http://moonstonebooks.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=36

Ordered all three, spent an extra buck on the #1 variant. Hope I get them fairly quickly. Been a long wait.
    Well, did you get them? How were they?
    Does Moonstone still produce comic books for sale through comic book shops / orderable through Diamond? It seems like I hardly hear about them.

Comment

Well...Two out of three ain't bad.

Issue one was nothing great. I thought Moon Man in particular came off like an idiot. The story was silly even by pulp standard and the art didn't help. Truthfully, the whole thing came off looking second-rate.

But issues 2 and 3 were much better. They had more space in which to tell their story but they still packed an awful lot onto the pages. Sylvestre Szilagyi's (sp?) art is much more detailed and dramatic than that of...whomever drew issue 1. For the most part, the team made sense, even if having California-based Domino Lady appear in Manhattan was a convenient coincidence.

I would have released this as a 2-part story or larger-sized graphic novel and ignored the first issue altogether.

Comment

Meant to add...

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
        Does Moonstone still produce comic books for sale through comic book shops / orderable through Diamond? It seems like I hardly hear about them.
        Rarely. For this book, Ron Fortier was pounding the table to get people to order it from their comics stores but people seemed to have limited success in doing so. I know I asked a guy who has a buddy that runs a comics store and was basically told that they "couldn't" which I think means "wouldn't".

Moonstone is brutally unreliable so I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to do business with them.

Comment

Meant to add...

Rarely. For this book, Ron Fortier was pounding the table to get people to order it from their comics stores but people seemed to have limited success in doing so. I know I asked a guy who has a buddy that runs a comics store and was basically told that they "couldn't" which I think means "wouldn't".

Moonstone is brutally unreliable so I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to do business with them.
          I also don't know how cooperative Diamond may be on things like this.

I thought they had a policy where publishers had to have at least "x" number of orders or orders of "X" dollar amounts to get listed, so maybe Moonstone would have problems meeting those limits?
          (For some reason, I seem to recall AC Comics saying something once about that was why they had such high prices for issues . . . if they tried to do +/-monthly issues at a cheaper cover price, Diamond wouldn't deal with them, so they had to go for thicker issues at a higher cover price to get around that? It would be like a company combining two-or-three issues of material into one issue and charging the equivalent price of those individual issues combined.)

Comment

That sounds familiar. I haven't come across anything specific about it, but I did find this very detailed and informative article about the whole process.

http://www.comixtribe.com/2014/01/20...ibution-cycle/

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
              I also don't know how cooperative Diamond may be on things like this.

I thought they had a policy where publishers had to have at least "x" number of orders or orders of "X" dollar amounts to get listed, so maybe Moonstone would have problems meeting those limits?
              (For some reason, I seem to recall AC Comics saying something once about that was why they had such high prices for issues . . . if they tried to do +/-monthly issues at a cheaper cover price, Diamond wouldn't deal with them, so they had to go for thicker issues at a higher cover price to get around that? It would be like a company combining two-or-three issues of material into one issue and charging the equivalent price of those individual issues combined.)
              The problem is Diamond. If the book wasn't ordered by a retailer from Diamond before the Final Order Cutoff date (which is usually some 2 months - or more, depending on the publisher and the product- in advance of when the comic actually arrives in Diamond's warehouses from the printers), then after the FOC it's virtually impossible to submit an order (through a retailer) and guarantee that it will be filled by Diamond, because Diamond really doesn't stock very many copies beyond the initial orders. Most consumers aren't going to be aware of what the actual FOC date is, because that's something Diamond only tells the retailers.

Long story short, you need to check Diamond's newest PREVIEWS catalog just as soon as it comes out (either online at www.previewsworld.com/catalog or get ahold of a copy of the printed catalog as soon as it arrives in comic shops on the last Wednesday of any given month), because when the new issue hits, the final order cutoff could be as soon as 2 weeks after that (depends on the publisher and the product, though).
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Well...Two out of three ain't bad.

Issue one was nothing great. I thought Moon Man in particular came off like an idiot. The story was silly even by pulp standard and the art didn't help. Truthfully, the whole thing came off looking second-rate.

But issues 2 and 3 were much better. They had more space in which to tell their story but they still packed an awful lot onto the pages. Sylvestre Szilagyi's (sp?) art is much more detailed and dramatic than that of...whomever drew issue 1. For the most part, the team made sense, even if having California-based Domino Lady appear in Manhattan was a convenient coincidence.

I would have released this as a 2-part story or larger-sized graphic novel and ignored the first issue altogether.
                Agreed on all of your points, Captain. You left me with nothing to add.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

You got them too, eh? Good man. I was hoping that Moonstone would get a good reaction to it.

That's why the first issue was bit of a disappointment. They blew a chance to make a good first impression.

What little I've seen of Black Bat / Domino Lady looks to be somewhere in the middle. No idea when that's due to arrive though. We used to complain about Dynamite's spotty release schedule but Moonstone is far worse. Still waiting on Black Bat / Purple Scar, too.

Were they always this bad? It looked from afar like the Phantom comics were coming out fairly regularly a few years back.

Comment

Were they always this bad? It looked from afar like the Phantom comics were coming out fairly regularly a few years back.
                    I'm not going to spend the time looking up all the original solicitation dates vs. the actual shipping dates, but my subjective recollection agrees with yours. They always seemed to have more than one Phantom comic in the pipeline, with limited series and one-shots constantly overlapping with the release dates of the ongoing series.

My guess would be that their erratic release schedule now is a bottleneck caused by lack of a regular cash flow to pay printer's bills. The Phantom seemed to be their most lucrative comic franchise, and because of that I think they were able to keep things flowing on a fairly regular release schedule during that time. Since the launching of the 'Return of the Originals' pulp character line (slightly later after launching both Domino Lady and The Spider), many of their announced projects have turned out to be abortive, and the ones that did get released seemed more erratic, a problem further compounded when they lost the rights to The Spider. The original idea of a line of comics based on various pulp characters was perhaps overly ambitious, and went largely unrealized, some of the commissioned work never seeing the light of day, and some of the stories only included in various TPB or HC collections as extras later on.

On the other hand, their prose pulp hero fiction anthology line seems to be doing not too badly, as judged by the standards of that cottage industry. Their latest release (after THE BLACK BAT RETURNS prose anthology) is THE GREEN GHOST: DECLASSIFIED, this one atypically released in the standard comic book size TPB format, and including a couple of those leftover short comic stories from the aborted Return of the Originals line. A couple more had been included in the hardcover edition of OF MONSTERS AND MEN, an otherwise mostly-prose anthology from a couple years back that also reprinted 3 of the 4 stories from the one-shot comic books under the umbrella title "Return of the Monsters" (excepting The Spider vs. Werewolf, which they'd lost the rights to before the collection's release - Domino Lady, Black Bat, and Phantom Detective all being Public Domain characters). Previous releases in the prose pulp fiction line also included some original novels featuring Domino Lady (MONEY SHOT), The Green Lama (SCIONS, UNBOUND, HORROR IN CLAY, CRIMSON CIRCLE), and The Avenger (THE SUN KING), as well as original characters like Agent X-11 teaming up with Black Bat and Green Lama (DAY OF THE DESTROYERS).
                    Last edited by positronic; 01-14-2017, 10:39 PM.

Comment

According to the Black Bat Facebook page, this mini will be collected along with the 4-part unreleased Black Bat/Domino Lady mini...at some point.

Overcoming quite a few hurdles, the (Black Bat/Domino Lady) project is in its last stages of production and features three truly amazing artists, Michael Dorman, Mark Grammel & Vincenzo Sansone with my pal Brant Fowler handling the lettering chores. Once all four issues are completed, they will be packaged along with my (Ron Fortier) previously released 3 issue mini-series Guns of the Black Bat into a giant collection. No name for this mega pulp book yet, please feel free to offer up any suggestions you may have.

Comment

Good news indeed! With all the comic book series coming out from so many different publishers these days, it's extremely competitive and hard for a floppy comic title from a smaller publisher, especially, to get noticed.

"Black Bat Team Up"? Actually, it would probably be better to get Domino Lady's name in the title as well, since it could help sell a few extra copies. Will this be released as a Moonstone TP, or through Airship 27?

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                          Good news indeed! With all the comic book series coming out from so many different publishers these days, it's extremely competitive and hard for a floppy comic title from a smaller publisher, especially, to get noticed.

"Black Bat Team Up"? Actually, it would probably be better to get Domino Lady's name in the title as well, since it could help sell a few extra copies. Will this be released as a Moonstone TP, or through Airship 27?
                          I believe Moonstone so make yourself comfortable and pack a lunch, it could be a while.

I kid, but I'm very happy they didn't give up on the mini with Domino Lady mini. I guess Mike Dorman took ill and couldn't do the second issue so they found another guy but I think that second artist ended up not coming through and had to be replaced, that sort of thing. As Fortier states himself, it's been a battle so gratitude to Moonstone for sticking it out.

Comment

Did BLACK BAT meets THE PURPLE SCAR ever come out? I never saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                              Did BLACK BAT meets THE PURPLE SCAR ever come out? I never saw it.
                              I would guess so since Moonstone is advertising a hardcover and softcover version.
                              (Amazon seems to offer it for Kindle with a date of "October 13, 2017"?)

Comment

Working...
                              X