The Wild Adventures of Tarzan novel series

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wild Adventures of Tarzan novel series

I see multiple "new Tarzan novel"-type threads. As the fourth book in the "Wild Adventures of Tarzan" series authorized by the Burroughs corporation is releasing this month, I thought I'd just start a thread for the whole series.

THE WILD ADVENTURES OF TARZAN

#1 - Return to Pal-ul-don by Will Murray
    With the African continent engulfed by World War II, John Clayton, Lord Greystoke, abandons his role as Lord of the Jungle in order to combat the spreading Nazi menace. Flying a P-40 Tomahawk warplane, Clayton is sent on his first mission: to rescue the missing British Military Intelligence officer code-named Ilex. But the daring task plunges him into his savage past after he’s forced down in a lost land that seems hauntingly familiar. When Tarzan of the Apes returns to the prehistoric realm called Pal-ul-don, he must revert to his most savage persona, that of Tarzan-jad-guru––Tarzan the Terrible!

#2 - Tarzan on the Precipice by Michael A. Sanford
    Plunging into the Canadian wilderness to escape an overpowering grief, John Clayton, Lord Greystoke, divests himself of the veneer of civilization and again becomes the undisputed Lord of the Jungle, Tarzan of the Apes. But the North Woods is not the Dark Continent, and the ape-man swiftly runs a gauntlet of unexpected dangers. First, a vicious kidnap crew take him prisoner. Next, Tarzan encounters a band of Viking warriors who dwell in the vast crater of an ancient meteor strike, and makes common cause with a mysterious ape tribe who roamed the Americas long before man. Caught between warring worlds, his survival at stake, Tarzan stands upon a precipice of doom, both literally and psychologically. Will he triumph... or perish?

King Kong vs. Tarzan (Wild Adventures of King Kong #1) by Will Murray
    BEAST-GOD VERSUS APE-MAN The year was 1933. Filmmaker Carl Denham had captured the stupendous monster he had dubbed "King" Kong. But that was only the beginning. Denham was determined to get the dethroned ruler of Skull Mountain Island back to America, and cash in on the greatest wild animal capture in human history. The saga of how Kong was taken in chains from his Indian Ocean kingdom to New York City has never been told. In order for the cargo freighter Wanderer to make the long transit to the Atlantic, she is forced to circumnavigate Africa—jungle home of the legendary Tarzan of the Apes! Here is the long-anticipated clash between the Monarch of Skull Island and Lord of the Jungle. When the largest anthropoid who ever lived encounters the savage superman raised by the great apes, will they make peace—or war?

#3 - Trilogy by Thomas Zachek
    Here are three tales of Tarzan at Point Station, a remote English outpost near the Waziri homelands. Set during the advent of World War II, we see more and more European intrusion to the Bolongo River Basin. Tarzan becomes embroiled in increasingly dangerous events as cultures clash. Tarzan and the "Fountain of Youth": Searching for the missing son of a friend, Tarzan encounters agents of an unscrupulous pharmaceutical company exploiting jungle resources for its own profit. Tarzan and the Cross of Vengeance: A team of archaeologists making a groundbreaking discover; a group of well-meaning but naďve tribes; and a ruthless band of men with a dark purpose stir up a heady mix of challenges for Tarzan, fomenting an inter-tribal war that only he can stop. Tarzan the Conqueror: When the Third Reich invades Africa to exploit the land for riches and enslave the native populations in labor camps, Tarzan leads the tribes in an unprecedented tribal resistance.

#4 - The Greystoke Legacy Under Siege by Ralph N. Laughlin & Ann E. Johnson
    The Greystoke Legacy Under Siege lifts the TARZAN series to new, ground-breaking heights with a high adventure that immerses TARZAN and his offspring in an epic battle for their family’s survival. Set in the 1980s.• Includes a solution to the real-life murder of Dian Fossey, who devoted her life to the study and preservation of African gorillas;
    • Introduces Tarzan’s great grandson, Jonathan – a young man struggling to seek his place in an adult world;
    • Unveils the inner workings of Tarzan’s massive family wealth – the Greystoke Trust, a London-based financial estate whose global influence reaches into the highest levels of business and government.
    This rapid, page-turning adventure travels from Africa to London to Paris and to Moscow in pursuit of justice because the family is Under Seige:
    • Tarzan’s African estate is demolished by an unknown guerrilla militia, leaving in its wake a leveled complex littered with the dead;
    • The Greystoke Trust, run by grandson Jackie, is accused of capital crimes against the Crown, and Jackie is jailed;
    • Son Jack, the last known person to meet with Dian Fossey, is accused of her murder and is sought by African authorities;
    • Jonathan’s airplane is shot down and crash lands into the African jungle forcing him to call upon his instincts, heritage and martial arts training to survive.
    This leap into the late 20th Century will provide intense excitement as chapter after chapter leaves doubt as to the survival of the Greystokes and their legacy.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

I am curious about all of these, but I have not read any of them yet. I am hoping to make my way through the original Burroughs novels first. (I'm currently on "Tarzan at the Earth's Core.")
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

G'day,

I have the read Return to Pal-ul-don and Precipice. I enjoyed both but perhaps the Sanford book more. I hope to eventually read them all, its just a matter of finding the time. However I'm really looking forward to Under Siege as I think its the first post 1950 book since Fritz Leiber's Tarzan and the Valley of Gold.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
      I am curious about all of these, but I have not read any of them yet. I am hoping to make my way through the original Burroughs novels first. (I'm currently on "Tarzan at the Earth's Core.")

Comment

There's another new Tarzan novel coming out this month. It is not considered part of the "Wild Adventures" series, but it does have the permission of the Burroughs Corporation.

Tarzan and the Cannibal King by Jake Saunders
        DECODER RING THEATRE
        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

G'day,

Looks like high priced hardcovers. I like Burroughs but not that that much. These days its kindle or nothing .

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
          There's another new Tarzan novel coming out this month. It is not considered part of the "Wild Adventures" series, but it does have the permission of the Burroughs Corporation.

Tarzan and the Cannibal King by Jake Saunders

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
            I have the read Return to Pal-ul-don and Precipice. I enjoyed both but perhaps the Sanford book more. I hope to eventually read them all, its just a matter of finding the time. However I'm really looking forward to Under Siege as I think its the first post 1950 book since Fritz Leiber's Tarzan and the Valley of Gold.
            Under Siege doesn't sound much like a Tarzan novel to me, nor is it quite clear whether Tarzan is even really in it. It certainly doesn't seem like he's the central character, from the description given. I'll pass.

Tarzan and the Valley of Gold was a novelization of a movie screenplay, and I'd be interested in reading it simply because it's written by Fritz Lieber, but while it's authorized, I doubt it can be considered canonical. Same goes for that 1996 R.A. Salvatore novel based on the syndicated TV series Tarzan: The Epic Adventures. At least Salvatore had a list of fantasy fiction writing credits, which is more than I can say for Ralph N. Laughlin & Ann E. Johnson.

For years the ERB Estate seemed reluctant to farm out a franchise for Tarzan sequels, and with very good reason, I think. Then came that novel with Jane taking center stage, followed by Tarzan: The Greystoke Legacy and others by Andy Briggs. Now that Will Murray has written what seems like a good seller in Return to Pal-Ul-Don (and perhaps with an envious eye towards the ongoing success of Murray's Wild Adventures of Doc Savage series), it's seems like ERB Inc. is over-eager to start churning out novels by "noname" authors as if they were Ki-Gor potboilers for JUNGLE STORIES. Maybe they wanted Murray to put one or two Tarzan novels out a year, but he just couldn't do it, while keeping up with his original commitment to Doc novels, so now they're just tossing it out there to almost anyone. That's an awful lot of new Tarzan novels to be putting out in such a short time, and aside from Murray's two, by a lot of untested authors.

Comment

G'day,

I think Legacy will mostly be about Jonathon, Tarzan's great grandson. So maybe Tarzan will be in the novel as much as he was in Son of Tarzan. I have no problem with Burroughs spin offs The Hadon of Opar series was popular and I remember enjoying J T Edson's Bunduki.
              Perhaps ERB inc's recent activities is due to copy right. I understand all restrictions on copyright will be end in 2020 in the USA. So perhaps they are trying to establish new characters. The Legacy artwork shows Jonathon with a black African woman so hopefully they will do something I have suggested the ERB boss Jim Sullos, that by 2017 , the Claytons have intermarried with the Waziri and we get the adventures of a black Lord Greystroke. If nothing else it would unbalance the "white savior" critics.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
              Under Siege doesn't sound much like a Tarzan novel to me, nor is it quite clear whether Tarzan is even really in it. It certainly doesn't seem like he's the central character, from the description given. I'll pass.

Tarzan and the Valley of Gold was a novelization of a movie screenplay, and I'd be interested in reading it simply because it's written by Fritz Lieber, but while it's authorized, I doubt it can be considered canonical. Same goes for that 1996 R.A. Salvatore novel based on the syndicated TV series Tarzan: The Epic Adventures. At least Salvatore had a list of fantasy fiction writing credits, which is more than I can say for Ralph N. Laughlin & Ann E. Johnson.

For years the ERB Estate seemed reluctant to farm out a franchise for Tarzan sequels, and with very good reason, I think. Then came that novel with Jane taking center stage, followed by Tarzan: The Greystoke Legacy and others by Andy Briggs. Now that Will Murray has written what seems like a good seller in Return to Pal-Ul-Don (and perhaps with an envious eye towards the ongoing success of Murray's Wild Adventures of Doc Savage series), it's seems like ERB Inc. is over-eager to start churning out novels by "noname" authors as if they were Ki-Gor potboilers for JUNGLE STORIES. Maybe they wanted Murray to put one or two Tarzan novels out a year, but he just couldn't do it, while keeping up with his original commitment to Doc novels, so now they're just tossing it out there to almost anyone. That's an awful lot of new Tarzan novels to be putting out in such a short time, and aside from Murray's two, by a lot of untested authors.

Comment

I think Legacy will mostly be about Jonathon, Tarzan's great grandson. So maybe Tarzan will be in the novel as much as he was in Son of Tarzan. I have no problem with Burroughs spin offs The Hadon of Opar series was popular and I remember enjoying J T Edson's Bunduki.
                Regardless of the degree of Tarzan's involvement as a character... when I say "it doesn't sound much like a Tarzan novel", that's exactly what I mean. Edson's Bunduki and Farmer's Hadon of Ancient Opar novels were "in the spirit of" ERB. Under Siege doesn't sound much like anything Burroughs would have written, regardless of the characters involved, or if ERB had been writing in the 1980s. This sounds more like some kind of conspiracy thriller which I probably wouldn't be interested in reading with or without a tangential connection to Burroughs' oeuvre. It's just an entirely different type of fiction story.

TBH, I really don't have a lot of interest in stories trying to translate the Tarzan character into the modern world. I think that sort-of worked, up to a point, until the 1960s/1970s, when handled circumspectly. But it's largely the way I feel about most pulp fiction characters, not just Tarzan... The Shadow, Doc Savage, et. al. I prefer their stories to be set in the early part of the 20th Century, in the same way that Westerns just aren't Westerns anymore, if set in the same locales with the same types of characters, but in the modern world.

Just as an aside, in my personal headcannon it's the better comics fiction Tarzan stories that are the true heirs to ERB's legacy. The Russ Manning Gold Key and newspaper strip stuff for sure, along with some of the DC stuff, some of the Dark Horse stuff.

I haven't read Will Murray's novels yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so when I can find the time. Can an authorized Doc Savage/Tarzan crossover be far off? I think not. And I'd love to see Will tackle a meeting between Tarzan and Lee Falk's Phantom... or one of them, anyway.
                Last edited by positronic; 06-17-2017, 08:13 AM.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I've read a few of the new Doc novels. They were pretty good. I do believe that most of them were at least in part based on discarded Dent plots. I just finished the Pat Savage Novel and it was okay. some of the dialogue was a bit stilted and the end was kind of eh.
                  Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                  Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                  http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                    I've read a few of the new Doc novels. They were pretty good. I do believe that most of them were at least in part based on discarded Dent plots. I just finished the Pat Savage Novel and it was okay. some of the dialogue was a bit stilted and the end was kind of eh.
                    I've read some of Will Murray's Doc novels, but I am far behind on the most current ones. I would rate Murray as quite possibly the #1 author of current pulp fiction (and I'm convinced that there are few people in this world as knowledgeable about Doc Savage and The Shadow as Will), so I am looking forward to reading those novels with Tarzan and King Kong.
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

G'day,

Theres a whole bunch of very good authors who call themselves New Pulp Writers . I would love to see them have a crack at the ERB and Doc Savage stuff, both in novels and comics form. Joel Jenkins and Derrick Ferguson come to mind. I really think comic book publishers need to look for new but experienced writers. Authors who understand and enjoy the genre, not politically correct hacks like Marvel has done.

Ralph

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                      I've read some of Will Murray's Doc novels, but I am far behind on the most current ones. I would rate Murray as quite possibly the #1 author of current pulp fiction (and I'm convinced that there are few people in this world as knowledgeable about Doc Savage and The Shadow as Will), so I am looking forward to reading those novels with Tarzan and King Kong.

Comment

G'day,

Theres a whole bunch of very good authors who call themselves New Pulp Writers . I would love to see them have a crack at the ERB and Doc Savage stuff, both in novels and comics form. Joel Jenkins and Derrick Ferguson come to mind. I really think comic book publishers need to look for new but experienced writers. Authors who understand and enjoy the genre, not politically correct hacks like Marvel has done.

Ralph

That might be the only real definition (for the post-"fiction magazine" era) of a pulp writer nowadays... those who actually call themselves "pulp writers". Otherwise what's to separate them from a lot of the other professional writers of franchised fiction (Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, and so on and on...)? I mean, in terms of content or style?

I always wished to see Ed Brubaker take a crack at one of the legitimately-licensed pulp characters, but I can see tons of reasons for that never ever happening, none of which is that everything else being equal (which of course it isn't) Brubaker wouldn't be interested. So essentially it would have to involve a bigger payday for him than working on his own creator-owned titles.

Comment

Working...
                        X