The Green Hornet: Year One MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's out

I like this issue better than issue #1 of the Kevin Smith series. Even though we see very little of the Green Hornet & Kato, we get to see how they started on the road to becoming the heros they will become. All in all a good balance between character building and action.

The art was good and the characters seemed to be 'in character' as was not the case with the KS series.

I liked all of the covers, but went with the Ross cover and that seems to be the more popular one in my LCS (I got the last copy). As seen above it's very close to the poster for one of the Moive Serials.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Would love to see that old Movie Serial, and I like many of those old Time radio episodes as well

That year one, once in hardcover, should sell like crazy

Comment

Year One is my favourite so far.

I have heard all the existing radio shows like 4 or 5 times... and I can tell you guys that this series is the closest that comes to the icon that is the Green Hornet. This is what the Green Hornet should be about, and I hope Dynamite has a best seller with this title... It's well done. The art isn't over done and it looks great.

Great book Mr. Wagner!

Comment

Originally posted by Renaud View Post
          Would love to see that old Movie Serial, and I like many of those old Time radio episodes as well

That year one, once in hardcover, should sell like crazy
          Both serials (Green Hornet & Green Hornet Strikes Again) re pretty good but Captain Marvel or Spy Smasher are great. The two Green Hornet are available on ebay at a decent price. I've got both on VHS and should be upgrading soon.
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Getting back to the comic book, I thought issue #1 was fabulous! This was far more satisfying to me than the updated Smith series. I particularly like the part near the end when the Hornet is surprised that the guys they were rescuing assumed that he and Kato were gangsters, too--and Britt suddenly realizing that that misperception could come in handy.

I also love the focus on the gas gun and the way the cartridges eject. Don't know, why exactly. It just seemed so cool. Apparently, this version of the gas gun also comes with a bit of an electric sting as well--or am I misunderstanding the drawing. I'm okay with that. The Hornet should have sting--although I also loved the fact that, in the original radio series, the "sting" of the Hornet was used in the sense of pulling a con job (like the movie "The Sting"): the Hornet would outwit the criminals by pulling a "sting" and trick them into betraying themselves into police hands!

I love this character!

Comment

Good Stuff!!

I like it.

Different from you guys, my memories of the Hornet are very vague, so Smith's Hornet is still my favorite number one, due to the action and the straightforward timeline. Wagner's jumping around in time again with his writing here (as he did well in Zorro) and it takes me a few issues, I think, before I can really get into that. It still works, though.

I really liked the coloring of this ish, by Francavilla. It made me think of older, 4-color comics, while it still has that new sheen to it. The gas/sting gun is great. The sting from the electric bolt is my favorite part. Very appropriate and very cool.

-Pistols

Comment

Originally posted by TwinPistols View Post
                I like it.

Different from you guys, my memories of the Hornet are very vague, so Smith's Hornet is still my favorite number one, due to the action and the straightforward timeline.
                I'm sorry to say that I actually went the other way. I defended Smith's version a bit but I found that reading Year 1 made Smith's version look ridiculous by comparison.

I don't want it to sound too harsh, but the only way I can think of right now to describe it is that Year one outclassed Smith's book. Year 1 was like watching the current Batman movies against the 90's versions.

Comment

I agree. So far, Year One is the superior of the two. But I can't really make a complete judgement because, for me at least, the Kevin Smith book's story hasn't evne really started. I mean, to me, it seemed like it was just a teaser for things to come.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenHornet23 View Post
                    I agree. So far, Year One is the superior of the two. But I can't really make a complete judgement because, for me at least, the Kevin Smith book's story hasn't evne really started. I mean, to me, it seemed like it was just a teaser for things to come.
                    True enough. It may have been better delivered as a #0 issue where you don't quite expect to be in the thick of the story right away.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenHornet23 View Post
                      Agreed. My bet is that, if it had been a movie, the whole flashback bit with the TV Hornet wrapping up his last case (i.e., about two-thirds of issue #1) would have been a pre-title sequence, with the movie-proper starting with the "Today" section.

But if I think too much about that, I'll start ranting again about Smith's version reading too much like a movie rather than a comic book...and I've already done that in the other thread. "Year One" is very much what I was hoping for in a Green Hornet series. I'd love it if DE kept this as the active ongoing series.

Comment

I showed my copy of Green Hornet: Year One to my parents. They said "Wow! Where did you find that? That must be worth a fortune." I told them it was worth about 4 bucks.

They didn't understand at first. They read the Green Hornet when they were kids back in the forties. They thought I found a copy of the Green Hornet from the forties. I explained that Dynamite had started publishing it again. They wanted to know if there was any plans to bring back the Blue Beetle. I hated to tell them.

Comment

C'mon Wednesday!

I just reread GH:YO #1 yesterday, and I have to admit, I've changed my mind. This book is my favorite of the two, right now. I recently visited otrstreet.com, and downloaded six episodes of the Green Hornet Radio serial. They're great.

Taking another look at Green Hornet Year One, afterward, I read two familiar names: Gunnigan and Axford. They were just nods, but it shows that Matt is doing his research. On top of the gas gun, Wagner added the electric shock, and that's such a cool addition to me. The Hornet needs to sting.

It looks like the "modern" Green Hornet will be moving away from using the Hornet darts, at least based on the covers. Kato uses them, but I do like them loaded into the guns. If Year One goes well, I'd definitely like to see a Green Hornet Classic book, written by Wagner, where we get to see an ongoing starring the TV version, with those guns and the male Kato.

Regardless, I've quickly become a fan of this character. I'll be looking to purchase all the radio shows, and the TV show, whenever I can. Kudos to Dynamite for doing stellar jobs revitalizing The Hornet and The Lone Ranger.

Alright, I'm done gushing for now. C'mon new comic book day!! I can't wait for tomorrow!

-Pistols

Comment

Originally posted by TwinPistols View Post
                            I've quickly become a fan of this character. I'll be looking to purchase all the radio shows, and the TV show, whenever I can. Kudos to Dynamite for doing stellar jobs revitalizing The Hornet and The Lone Ranger.

Alright, I'm done gushing for now. C'mon new comic book day!! I can't wait for tomorrow!

-Pistols
                            Gunnigan and Axford are main characters from the Radio show. The serials did a good job of adapting the show to the big screen. I have to upgrade my serials to DVD. I started out withn the TV show a still remember how amazed I was to find an album with an audio version of the show. I doubt I realized it was a 'radio show' at the time.
                            Check out ebay, lots of people offer a 1 or 2 disc set of MP3s of the Radio show. There are some shows are circultating under multiple titles so be careful. There were just over 1,000 shows produced and one season of 25 repeats. There was also 2 "shows" released direct to album while the TV show was on.

Jerry Haendiges has a very good log of the show at http://www.otrsite.com/logs/logg1005.htm
                            Another list of shows at http://www.old-time.com/otrlogs2/greenh_dj.log.txt isn't as good.
                            Last edited by Ghornet2; 04-13-2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Omg...

Yeah okay.. Dynamite. You guys ROCK THE HOUSE.

this adaptation is cool. I really am loving it.

GOOD JOB GUYS! I LOVE MR. Francavilla's cover! Bloody Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by zirron View Post
                                GOOD JOB GUYS! I LOVE MR. Francavilla's cover! Bloody Brilliant!
                                I picked up the other cover because MLCS got shorted and didn't receive and of the Francavilla cover

Comment

Working...
                                X