The Green Hornet: Year One MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still reading?

Hope you fans are still on board with this. GH:YO has been consistently good, IMHO, but with this issue (#3), it's even better. Loved the time shifts in this issue, and Britt and Kato's meeting.

I'm hoping GH and Kato get a good opponent here soon, but this book still rocks as is.

-Pistols

Comment

It was a great issue. We always knew that Kato owed a debt to Britt but, as far as I know, it was never really explained until now. Great to see the insight into Kato's character. This is this best of the GH bookas with Origns; Way of the Ninja a close second.vv
      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Green Hornet: Year One has been my favorite of all the GH stuff thats come out so far, I loved issue #3 and the story of how Britt and Kato meet eachother, it was such a good read. My favorite scene in this issue was the splash page of GH hanging onto the tope with his little zipline thing, it was kind of heroic and gave me something of a Batman feel. I also love the scene where he takes the mic on stage and uses his little trademark catchphrase, just awesome stuff in my opinion.

Man, I love this series!
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by TwinPistols View Post
          Hope you fans are still on board with this. GH:YO has been consistently good, IMHO, but with this issue (#3), it's even better. Loved the time shifts in this issue, and Britt and Kato's meeting.

I'm hoping GH and Kato get a good opponent here soon, but this book still rocks as is.

-Pistols
          If I was allowed to only read one Hornet book, it would be this one. I just love it.

The only drawback for me is that it underlines how much better Kevin Smith's version should be. I read Smith's and think "well, that was silly, but fun". Then I read Year One and it totally puts it to shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
            It was a great issue. We always knew that Kato owed a debt to Britt but, as far as I know, it was never really explained until now. Great to see the insight into Kato's character. This is this best of the GH bookas with Origns; Way of the Ninja a close second.vv
            I mentioned before that I'm fairly new to the characters, and I recall someone here commenting that Kato is not a sidekick so much as he is a partner. I didn't really get the distinction all that much, but in this series you see the difference in skill sets and how the characters complement one another. During the 1938 scene in the night club in this issue, Kato does almost everything of consequence.

Comment

The only very minor thought that bothers me is that the Hornet's dialogue in this issue is still in the line of a good guy hero trying to clean up the underworld. What was so interesting about the original iteration of the Hornet (the radio version) was that he very much went out of his way to keep the Hornet appearing as a member of the underworld--a gang boss in his own right even if his "gang" consisted only of "the masked helper" (as Kato was called in those days ). The reason he did this was obvious: other criminals were more likely to divulge info to him as a crook than they would if they thought of him as a cop's best friend. That is why, in the radio series, time after time, when the Hornet would leave a crook for the police, he would set it up as appearing to be a payback because the crook tried to double-cross the Hornet.

But then, after all, this is "Year One" and actually there are occasional comments that point to the Hornet being forced into playing the crime boss role. For example, in issue 3, Patrilla kills Joey and clearly intends to blame it on the Hornet. It is stuff like that that may force the Hornet to play the criminal role rather than the Batman role.

But, yes, Year One is so much more interesting a read than the Smith Hornet.

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing a "Year Two" and a "Year Three" series after they are done publishing "Year One", but only if they are written by Matt Wagner, I think he deserves the scribe duties on classic GH tales due to his awesome work on his current series.

I hope they cool down on the GH related series for now though, I don't see the need for Parralel Lives and anything else could eventually lead to saturation and readers giving up on GH as a whole.
                Dynamite Entertainment
                Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                  I wouldn't mind seeing a "Year Two" and a "Year Three" series after they are done publishing "Year One", but only if they are written by Matt Wagner, I think he deserves the scribe duties on classic GH tales due to his awesome work on his current series.
                  Yeah. And I hope they don't limit themselves to making every Year-book 12 issues. It's not as though one month of real time has to be one month of comic time. If year two takes 18 or 24 issues to tell, so be it. As it is, Year One is supposed to be in two 6-part phases.

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                  I hope they cool down on the GH related series for now though, I don't see the need for Parralel Lives and anything else could eventually lead to saturation and readers giving up on GH as a whole.
                  Parallel Lives should probably be a double-sized one-shot that comes out a week or two before the movie. To promote a prequel to a movie that won't come out until six months later seems odd. Why not have a one-off book that's on the shelves right around the time that people are seeing the trailer on TV?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                    Yeah. And I hope they don't limit themselves to making every Year-book 12 issues. It's not as though one month of real time has to be one month of comic time. If year two takes 18 or 24 issues to tell, so be it. As it is, Year One is supposed to be in two 6-part phases.
                    I wouldn't mind seeing them as 6 issue mini's, they could easily tell a years worth of good stories in 6 issues instead of dragging it out a whole year, but on the flip side I wouldn't mind seeing it go beyond the 12 issue mark if they had such a complex and involved story to tell. It'll be fun to see what happens in coming years....
                    Dynamite Entertainment
                    Forum Administrator

Comment

Perhaps the way to go about it would be to name the book after the year in which in takes place. Green Hornet: 1945 would probably seem a little less akward that Green Hornet: Year Six

Comment

Greem Hornet: Year One #4 (spoilers)

I haven't gotten around to reading this one yet, but I have it in my grubby little hands and I'll be checking it out today at some point. From the looks of it this issue is action heavy and has a lot going on, it also feels slightly thicker than the previous issues (probably advertisments) so I'm looking forward to seeing what goes down in this one. The art looks pretty good as per usual and the cover is pretty nice, make sure to comment on this issue once you guys get it, if you haven't gotten it already.
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Comment

The artwork is excellent. I was impressed with the amount of detail the artist went into. I don't care for the dialogue in this book.

Comment

I find it hard to come up with anything to say about this particular issue. It was the standard level of quality and moved the story along nicely. It really just built up what had been established earlier.

Mr. F, were your concerns about the dialogue fracism-based?

Comment

I agree. This issue seemed to just be getting the characters in place for the future. No huge movement of either plot. Still, it was good to see Reid and Kato getting to know each other's talents. I loved the "valet" line.

By coincidence, Smith Hornet #6 also seemed to be just setting up the characters for the future with no huge movement of the plot. An entire issue dedicated to showing the new Hornet being trained. Sigh. I am old enough to remember when Stan Lee could cover such a topic in a single page--half a page if he was pressed for space!

Comment

@Tulku:

You must be an old man then. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X