Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is no license at Dynamite. Dynamite is basing their stuff on material from the first 5 novels, which are all in the public domain. IMO, Dynamite is doing a far better job with the property than any official license holder has done, with the possible exeption of the Marvel material.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

• Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
      There is no license at Dynamite. Dynamite is basing their stuff on material from the first 5 novels, which are all in the public domain. IMO, Dynamite is doing a far better job with the property than any official license holder has done, with the possible exeption of the Marvel material.
      Interesting. Why the first 5 books only? How do you know what is in the public domain? Are there Tarzan books in the public domain as well?
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      To answer my own questions I found some information on another board:

To the best of my knowledge, Tarzan is NOT in the Public Domain. I was under the strong impression that Tarzan's copyright was controlled and licensed through Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. I know they have aggressively tried to protected there control of the property in the past.

The Burroughs corporation does have trademark over John Carter also. Disney is licensing it for the movie (2012, the 100th anniversary of the first John Carter story). The first 5 books are in the public domain, though, enabling Dynamite to adapt the first - "A Princess of Mars" - for their new series. Notice it is called simply "Warlord of Mars," not "John Carter, Warlord of Mars," since John Carter is trademarked. I think it's a good thing someone else is doing a John Carter comic. The official license resides with Dark Horse and, outside of a Tarzan crossover in the 1990s and some reprints, they've done nothing with it.
      Last edited by JohnCarter; 05-28-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Anything published before 1923 is public domain. Yes, some of the early Tarzan books are public domain also. Trademark is the big hurdle with Tarzan, as it's hard to publish a Tarzan story without using trademarked terms.
        Last edited by MadMikeyD; 05-28-2011, 06:25 PM.
        DECODER RING THEATRE
        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Anything published before 1923 is public domain. Yes, some of the early Tarzan books are public domain also. Trademark is the big hurdle with Tarzan, as it's hard to publish a Tarzan story without using trademarked terms.
          The dates for the Mars series is:

A Princess of Mars 1912
          The Gods of Mars 1913
          The Warlord of Mars 1914
          Thuvia, Maid of Mars 1916
          The Chessmen of Mars 1922
          The Master Mind of Mars 1927
          A Fighting Man of Mars 1930
          Swords of Mars 1935
          Synthetic Men of Mars 1940
          Llana of Gathol 1948
          John Carter of Mars 1964

So that would mean Dynamite will only be able to use the first five novels. But in Thuvia, Maid of Mars and Chessmen of Mars John Carter is a secondary character, right?
          Last edited by JohnCarter; 05-29-2011, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• I haven't actually read those two books yet, but that is my understanding. The first three are the main John Carter stories.
            DECODER RING THEATRE
            EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

I haven't actually read those two books yet, but that is my understanding. The first three are the main John Carter stories.
              I wish the creators of the series would interact with us from time to time, would make things more exciting. Give us some inside as to what is being planned.

Comment

• Finally, this is out this week:
                http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=32641

And another cover:

Comment

• I just got this issue in the mail today and am very excited to read it, Warlord of Mars has become one of my favorite series from Dynamite and in all of comics in general and I'm pumped to be able to read it tonight since I've got nothing else to do. Exciting!
                  Dynamite Entertainment
                  Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                    I just got this issue in the mail today and am very excited to read it, Warlord of Mars has become one of my favorite series from Dynamite and in all of comics in general and I'm pumped to be able to read it tonight since I've got nothing else to do. Exciting!
                    You lucky dog! We still have to wait two days! The preview pages in comicbookresources look pretty awesome.

Comment

• Okay, so the ending to Warlord of Mars issue #7 was.....breathtaking for John Carter and after he's declared his love for Dejah Thoris the final panel must be killing him inside. Trust me, it's worth reading....I'm still....not feeling right. Man, what a fantastic piece of writing by Arvid Nelson, keep it up Mr. Nelson as you are making this book must read material every month.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Can't wait to get it tomorrow. Warlord of Mars is my favorite series and I've jumped on board with Dejah Thoris, too bad I missed issues 1 & 2 and now can't find them locally.

Comment

• Way to go, House of Ideas!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=32666

Marvel Entertainment, in collaboration with the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate, is proud to announce all new graphic fiction adaptations of the legendary John Carter novels, beginning with John Carter: A Princess of Mars #1 (of 5) in September 2011. By working closely with the ERB estate, all John Carter comics produced with Marvel Entertainment will be considered part of the official canon, adding new layers to the rich mythos created by Burroughs.
                          Now why didn't someone think of this before??

Comment

• I really like this. While Dynamite's Warlord of Mars series are for the mature readers, these Marvel books are going to be all ages. Something for everyone. If Marvel does as well with John Carter as they've done with their Oz adaptations, this should be worth picking up - even if you're already enjoying Dynamite's take.

No contest on cover art, though. I like Skottie Young, but Joe Jusko is THE John Carter artist, IMO.
                            Last edited by MadMikeyD; 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM.
                            DECODER RING THEATRE
                            EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

• Filipe Andrade's artwork is so wrong for an action hero, even though I love John Carter I think I'll have to pass until they make something less stylized.

Comment

• I like stylized art, it stands out from the standard comic art. The biggest attraction for me though, is the all-ages thing. John Carter I can share with my kids.

Not much chance of Marvel's John Carter being confused with Dynamite's, though:

Marvel:

Dynamite:

Last edited by MadMikeyD; 06-07-2011, 07:34 PM.
                                DECODER RING THEATRE
                                EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Working...
                                X