Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Carter wiki

Okay, simple I am the administrator of johncarter.wikia.com also barsoom.wikia.com same website

and I firmly believe that the warlord of mars comic fans Deserve to Know about it, feel free to make . . . any and all pages related to the dynamite series . . .

and for the love of god . . . I need help with the individual pages on each issue! I am only one man, a man with absolutely no grasp of English grammar, punctuation and spelling.

http://barsoom.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    Last edited by Ralok; 06-27-2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Normally it bothers me, for two reasons:
      - It's meretricious.
      - It plays to the "all comicbook artists are chubby virgins" stereotype.

However, in the case of Deja Thoris... well, I assume we're all aware that she's nude every single time she appears in the original novels, right? None of the Martians wear clothing. The pasties/loincloth combo that she's given in the comics are actually MORE clothing than she has in the books.

In fact, in the books even John Carter is running around buck-naked, aside from the "jewels and ornaments" that he takes as trophies. It's never adequately explained how Martians avoid skin cancer, or how they feel about the inevitable skid-marks that they'd be leaving on every chair and throne. But since it's a fantasy novel, and nobody has to worry about hygiene, sunburn, or spilling hot soup on themselves, I suppose it's okay.

Comment

• I would say the combo she usualyl has is probably roughly what she wears in the books. Martians arent nude they are naked, and absolutely coated in ornaments.

naked and nude aint quite the same thing, and back then it didnt mean quite the same thing

in thuvia maid of mars the lotharians had auburn hair, but they were blonde because auburn meant something else

how naked the martians are . . . is something that will be debated until the end of time though

skin cancer isnt a problem when your species evolved in the environment . . . not to mention it is farther away from the sun than earth

oh an john carter is noted as wearing silk cloaks sometimes :I

the point is . . . that the dynamite covers are pretty dang accurate
        Last edited by Ralok; 06-27-2011, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Glad to have you in the forums! We need a link in this thread to the Wiki's home page.

Comment

• Let me start by saying that I have never read any of the books, ever. But I do like the comicbooks alot. So, I guess I am lucky, not to have anything to compare it to. I think the story for both DT, and WOM are good. I enjoy the art work in the comics, but Love the Jusko covers. TO be honest, I only started buying the comics because I saw that Jusko was doing the covers. I have heard him (Jusko) speak many times about the ERB books and how much he loved them. So I gave the Warlod of Mars comic a try. I was happy to discover that they were good! So keep them coming at what ever pace is fine with me.

Comment

• I suppose it is only right

http://barsoom.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Comment

• And it has to be exactly like the books, why? I like what they're doing with it and not 100% sticking to the books, they have more freedom than that and can add/delete little things to make what I believe to be a more interesting story. If I wanted the story to be exactly like the books.....I'd read the books.
                Dynamite Entertainment
                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                  And it has to be exactly like the books, why? I like what they're doing with it and not 100% sticking to the books, they have more freedom than that and can add/delete little things to make what I believe to be a more interesting story. If I wanted the story to be exactly like the books.....I'd read the books.
                  I dont want it to be like the books, but what I want above all else is the world to be preserved as good as it can be preserved. And for new and interesting stories to be told in this world!

why do casual things to contradict the books, like give facial hair to the reds, or the entire wing thing. Why couldn't that have been tied into the invention of the equlibrimotor? Thus providing and interesting and unique origin for the device! and fulfilling the same need for the storytelling

and gods honest . .. I just wish that they didnt have facial hair because I need some pictures for the wiki that are ACCURATE towards the universe

my search for a picture of mors kajak has been prolonged until the marvel series is released

Comment

• I am reading these comics as comics - the fact they are based on books is almost aside for me and of lesser importance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kloot View Post
                      I am reading these comics as comics - the fact they are based on books is almost aside for me and of lesser importance.
                      There is no reason to disregard longtime fans and minor aspects of the continuity! People reading the comic without knowing the books would be oblivious, and the long time fans would be ANGRY, thus pretty much half the readers are ANGRY AT IT.

if they wanted to change so much, they could have written their own stories, made their own original sword and planet stuff. Maybe start writing for something a little less beloved like Gulliver of mars

I dont hate this comic, I just cannot begin to grasp the reasoning behind alot of the changes . . . if they were ever even intentional! Or if they just are skimming through the books as they write it not picking up on the details

its . . . . strange

Look, I still like these comics . . . but I am not going to mindlessly defend the comics and act like they are doing everything right

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralok View Post
                        There is no reason to disregard longtime fans and minor aspects of the continuity! People reading the comic without knowing the books would be oblivious, and the long time fans would be ANGRY, thus pretty much half the readers are ANGRY AT IT.

if they wanted to change so much, they could have written their own stories, made their own original sword and planet stuff. Maybe start writing for something a little less beloved like Gulliver of mars

I dont hate this comic, I just cannot begin to grasp the reasoning behind alot of the changes . . . if they were ever even intentional! Or if they just are skimming through the books as they write it not picking up on the details

its . . . . strange

Look, I still like these comics . . . but I am not going to mindlessly defend the comics and act like they are doing everything right
                        Well, that's your right and your entitled to your own opinion, but I for one feel the book as close to perfect for what I'm looking for in a monthly title and since the books it's based off of mean nothing to me I'm loving it. Keep up the good work on WOM team!
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                          Well, that's your right and your entitled to your own opinion, but I for one feel the book as close to perfect for what I'm looking for in a monthly title and since the books it's based off of mean nothing to me I'm loving it. Keep up the good work on WOM team!
                          why are you supporting the thrashing of the established lore then? Look if the original books meant nothing to you, then thats okay. But dont go out of your way to support the thrashing of the work.

you want it good right? And presumably you want other people to know how awesome it is.

anything that they do, to make any fan angry or uncomfortable with that work is one less potential reader. I am an avid collector of all things barsoom, I have a map of the planet within sight of me right now

but. . . . not all fans are me!

Comment

its . . . . strange

I get what you mean and if it was something based on an idea i knew the back story of then I'd probably agree - BUT - I would say less than half have read the books and therefore will enjoy a solid comic with good story and art. Suspend the books for just one minute and enjoy for what it is.

Comment

why are you supporting the thrashing of the established lore then? Look if the original books meant nothing to you, then thats okay. But dont go out of your way to support the thrashing of the work.

you want it good right? And presumably you want other people to know how awesome it is.

anything that they do, to make any fan angry or uncomfortable with that work is one less potential reader. I am an avid collector of all things barsoom, I have a map of the planet within sight of me right now

but. . . . not all fans are me!
                              A map on the wall? The more I think of it, the more I think Dynamite will never please your view of what the book should be.
                              However I think the sales speak for themselves. Long may this book run exactly as it is.

Comment

its . . . . strange

Some might be angry. I am certainly not. I think they are very well done.

Having Dejah Thoris be the heroic figure in her own prequel series is a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X