Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Kloot View Post
    What do you think so far?

    Fab covers and the plot I would argue is vering on being better that WOM. The art inside is excellent and I find myself hoping the same team continue throughout.

    The Jusko and Renaud covers are to die for - long may they provide art for this book. Renaud inside art anybody?
    I'd love Renaud posters, that is for sure.

    I agree that DT is better than WOM, too. Interesting to contrast the Red Martian skin tones in the two and the coloring. Wonder if the colorists could meet in the middle somewhere.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by bluetyson View Post
      Some might be angry. I am certainly not. I think they are very well done.

      Having Dejah Thoris be the heroic figure in her own prequel series is a great idea.

      I wasnt complaining about Dejah Thoris being a heroic figure in her own prequel series.

      All I am complaining about is the blatant disregard for established lore. Lore is the problem here

      How can a they make stories set in this world if they dont grasp the world!

      If you are going to contradict the lore . . . do it with style and go over the top!

      the winged oravars in marvels warlord are a good example!

      Dont kill us loyalist fans with bug bites.

      crush our spirits all at once :P

      Seriously, its the minor stuff that drives me up a wall. Creating a winged psychic backpack, when jetpacks already exsist.

      I wish I could create a chart

      anything beetween 1% and 80% similar is acceptable, anything between 80% and 95% rage inducing insanely infuriating and 95% - 100% is boring because I have already read the dang books a billion times.

      someone go create a chart to explain this :P

      every time I see something inaccurate in a highly accurate work . . . it feels like im hitting a brick wall! Because up until that, it felt like a supplemental work to the originals, now it becomes original

      the shifting perspective in the middle of reading it aggravates my tiny brain
      Last edited by Ralok; 07-03-2011, 06:23 AM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Ralok View Post
        not to mention it is farther away from the sun than earth
        It's not a question of distance. It's a question of atmosphere. Heavier atmospheres screen out and diffuse solar radiation, while simultaneously...

        ...wait, when did this become an episode of Nova?

        Comment


        • I love threads where the original question is ignored in favor of some trivial side discussion.

          Back to the original issue:

          Let's face it...the risque covers are exactly the same as the others, art-wise. The artist simply moved a couple of lines around. Any meretriciousness is purely in the mind of the beholder. And yes, this is America...everything is a sales tactic.

          Comment


          • Yes, Thuvia discovered her Banth powers while captive with the Therns.

            Yes, I was hoping for the Equilibrimotor.

            Yes, there are other things that bug me, but I look at it this way: There have been so many ERB stories butchered in the retelling, I see it as all relative. WOM and DJT are about as close as I've seen for Barsoom, so I'm not complaining too much.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by transversal View Post
              Yes, Thuvia discovered her Banth powers while captive with the Therns.

              Yes, I was hoping for the Equilibrimotor.

              Yes, there are other things that bug me, but I look at it this way: There have been so many ERB stories butchered in the retelling, I see it as all relative. WOM and DJT are about as close as I've seen for Barsoom, so I'm not complaining too much.
              try reading amazong of barsoom . . . . god help the people who wrote that

              Comment


              • What do you need? Pellucidar was my first ERB series, and I are literate....

                Comment


                • I saw those when they came out. I scoffed at them due to the inconsistencies, but now I wish I'd bought some. I guess there's always Ebay:

                  http://toys.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_fr...res&_sacat=220

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by transversal View Post
                    What do you need? Pellucidar was my first ERB series, and I are literate....
                    all I need is you to contribute, the main pages I want to work on are the pages for the various races . . . plus pages for each of the books


                    just click the new page button and create the pages, or search the page and make the necessary modifications!

                    Any help would be greatly appreaciated transversal

                    any of your knowledge about any of Edgar Rice Burroughs works that connect to the mars series!

                    there is also a matter of importance in helping swell smaller pages

                    http://barsoom.wikia.com/index.php?t...it=50&offset=0

                    any pages under 300 bytes need to be improved and made longer if possible . . . .
                    Last edited by Ralok; 07-03-2011, 02:28 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Digital Comics?

                      I notice there is a Warlord of Mars 3 at Graphicly, but only up to 2 at Comixology - as is Dejah Thoris.


                      Are more coming soon? - as Vampirella has streaked ahead of these.


                      Thanks,

                      bt

                      Comment


                      • Marvel's Warlord of Mars

                        I wanted to take a moment to begin a discussion about the other comics throughout time featuring John Carter and the world of barsoom . . . I supposed I should start with marvels warlord from the seventies

                        MARVELS WARLORD OF MARS

                        This series has the most issues of any of the series thus far . .. I truely enjoyed this series even though I got the sense it was just ment to cash in on star wars at the time! It was pretty accurate to the books, and when it was innacurate it did so with style and grace

                        one thing I did not like . . . during the arc in which Dejah Thoris was under the enslavement of the True-Born orovar . . . it is implied something pretty bad happened to her, when she comes out of the situation . . . she is pregnant . . . and . . . that sits sour for me, it is almost like the comic was trying to create an explanation for how carthoris was born, like the writer was under the impression that it is impossible for martians and earthers to reproduce . . . it felt . . . pretty sour . . . Plus giving the winger orovar white skin adn super strength . . . . makes Carthoris' lineage seem even more in doubt . . . They want to try and save it by implying it was Tara's egg, but it was their first child . . . . I feel like this was just sort of sour . . . . and very bothersome


                        what do you guys think about marvels warlord? The next comic I will probably bring up will be the John Carter of Mars sunday strips by John Coleman Burroughs!

                        JOHN COLEMAN BURROUGHS SUNDAY STRIPS

                        I have a hard tiem believing all these strips were drawn by JCB the art is everywhere and completely insane! But this comic adds alot of new critters . . . . a race of giant chickens . . . . plants with chicken heads . . . . giant bird of prey chickens . . . .okay JCB whats up with you and chickens!!!!!

                        the overall story is okay . . .. not much too it . . . giant chicken men are weird

                        there is one part where, john carter is riding on giant Dejah Thoris' shoulders, whiel she is being carried by an even gianter tree, piloted by giant chicken headed plant

                        this comic is weird. . . . and being the product of JCB that makes it closer to canon than other comics . . . . which is unfortunate . . . . it wasnt THAT good . .. but I had a fun time reading it
                        Last edited by Ralok; 07-06-2011, 01:43 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Ralok View Post
                          I wanted to take a moment to begin a discussion about the other comics throughout time featuring John Carter and the world of barsoom . . . I supposed I should start with marvels warlord from the seventies

                          MARVELS WARLORD OF MARS

                          This series has the most issues of any of the series thus far . .. I truely enjoyed this series even though I got the sense it was just ment to cash in on star wars at the time! It was pretty accurate to the books, and when it was innacurate it did so with style and grace

                          one thing I did not like . . . during the arc in which Dejah Thoris was under the enslavement of the True-Born orovar . . . it is implied something pretty bad happened to her, when she comes out of the situation . . . she is pregnant . . . and . . . that sits sour for me, it is almost like the comic was trying to create an explanation for how carthoris was born, like the writer was under the impression that it is impossible for martians and earthers to reproduce . . . it felt . . . pretty sour . . . Plus giving the winger orovar white skin adn super strength . . . . makes Carthoris' lineage seem even more in doubt . . . They want to try and save it by implying it was Tara's egg, but it was their first child . . . . I feel like this was just sort of sour . . . . and very bothersome


                          what do you guys think about marvels warlord? The next comic I will probably bring up will be the John Carter of Mars sunday strips by John Coleman Burroughs!
                          This is very cool. I bought the entire series and later sold it to Mile High Comics but that was so long ago I don't remember if I ever read them entirely or if I stopped when Ernie Colon stopped doing the artwork. I kept all the Gil Kane and Ernie Colon books and still have them.

                          I do not remember the episode you describe.

                          Comment


                          • No interest in digital comics whatsoever.

                            Comment


                            • I've never read it. I like what I've seen though.

                              Given the size of my comics collection - I am probably going to stick with the Dynamite books.

                              Comment


                              • Warlord of Mars # 12

                                Just seen the covers for this book in the September solicitaions.
                                Wow - is about the one word which sums this up. Not sure which cover to choose from and it's usually pretty clear cut for me.

                                Interested to see about the Dejah cover which has the censored banner - not under the art risqué heading, but just a normal cover. As a mature book, I am surprised we don't have more nudity given the books original content, so I suppose if this is what the cover suggests then maybe that is the next natural progression.

                                My views on a mature book is that it should be just that. The label gives the book license to be more than just a teen+ book. This (I would argue) is something that has not been used to it's full potential. When referring to this I don't mean just the nudity/sex aspect of what 'mature' implies.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X