Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brilliant art, but...uh...I think in the book John Carter didn't immediately jump to the conclusion that Dejah Thoris was a slut. I think he was a bit more of a gentleman.

Comment

• Anybody got any examples of his work? I think we've been spoiled so far. I wish to continue being spoiled.

Comment

• Originally posted by transversal View Post
        Anybody got any examples of his work? I think we've been spoiled so far. I wish to continue being spoiled.
        He did the first two issues.

Comment

• can we please swap the thark and warhoon designs . . . the warhoon are far far far far far far superior in design

Comment

• Black Pirates

Okay . . . . . . really . . . .really . . . for the love of god . . . . look, a little bit of accuracy isnt going to kill you people.

Just shut up and listen for ten freaking seconds, because the comic I am complaining about hasnt been released yet, you people can still fix this before it all goes terribly wrong!

Im going to quote something here from dynamites description from warlord of mars : Dejah Thors #7

"Both Xen and Phondari are black pirates from the further moon of Mars."

THE BLACK PIRATES OF MARS ARE NOT FROM THE MOONS OF MARS

There is a rumor amongst the general populace of Barsoom that the First born are from Thuria, do you know which moon that is? THE NEARER MOON, but that doesnt even matter, because that is just a rumor. In reality if you people actually bothered to pick up "The gods of mars" or "llana of Gathol" you would know that the Black martians live in two isolated areas

A city in a valley that roughly corresponds to the real world Valles Marinaris

and an underground sea that they created

PLEASE

DONT SCREW THIS UP

its very very very very very very very very very very very very very simple to understand

THERE IS A WIKI a very accurate wiki, mostly written by one man who wanted to make sure that things were accurate, a good man who knows what the hell he is talking about

THIS GUY

STOP MESSING THIGNS UP JUST FOR THE SAKE OF MESSING THINGS UP

and switch the warhoon adn thark designs, your warhoons look far cooler

Comment

• Reading the book now and while he tries to be a gentleman he does offend her. I started reading the DE comic before ERB's Princess of Mars book. I haven't read the most recent issue yet but so far I think DE is doing a good interpretation so far. In the book she refers to him as both child and man....

Originally posted by transversal View Post
              Brilliant art, but...uh...I think in the book John Carter didn't immediately jump to the conclusion that Dejah Thoris was a slut. I think he was a bit more of a gentleman.

Comment

• I'll admit I was like WTH? when I saw this solicitation in Previews. I'll admit that I'm getting the title. I'm personally interested in seeing how it compares to DE's since this first arc from DE is basically 'A Princess of Mars'.

Marvel wasn't thinking about the title though as at first I thought they were doing a cross dressing John Carter.... the skirt didn't help matters out. I like the cover kinda for Marvel's but its nothing compared to Jusko though.

If the movie bombs and Marvel stops doing adaptations I'll live. That is as long as DE continues their series .

Comment

• I've seen a few that look okay. Overall I think one of the Adam's ones looks blah. Personally if I don't have a problem with these Risque covers as much due to the nature of the Martians.

From what I gather from currently reading the book is that there is no effort to cover up 'private parts'. So while they might have some ornaments and stuff on, its not there for the purpose of concealing. Therefore there would be exposed woo woo's, hoo haas, and wingly doos....

I'm wondering why DE isn't trying to appeal to the female audience with a Risque cover of John Carter.......

Comment

• I will probably see this movie because I've been enjoying the book and comics so much. Don't like how Dejah looks though or John for that matter. The gal they got playing her, (or it might be more of the costume design) does not give me the impression of her that I have in the book. I think doing the costume differently and making it look a little more flashy...possibly a tad fleshier too would have helped.

I like how they are including ERB in the trailer. I love how the Martian story is set up with and I think thats a good way of doing the movie as well. I hope more previews start to come out as I would love to see this go over well.

Comment

• I know at some Marvel boards the creative guys visit and fans have helped to keep the continuity between the books. Hopefully the creative team from Dynamite does the same and someone is lurking and can see some of your postings. I'm one who agrees that grounding this book solidly to the original material can do no harm and they have done a pretty good job so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBeefy View Post
                        I will probably see this movie because I've been enjoying the book and comics so much. Don't like how Dejah looks though or John for that matter. The gal they got playing her, (or it might be more of the costume design) does not give me the impression of her that I have in the book. I think doing the costume differently and making it look a little more flashy...possibly a tad fleshier too would have helped.

I like how they are including ERB in the trailer. I love how the Martian story is set up with and I think thats a good way of doing the movie as well. I hope more previews start to come out as I would love to see this go over well.
                        It is sad they decided to be so conservative with her costume because Lynn Collins definitely has the physical attributes to play Dejah Thoris.

Comment

• I could care less if pirates are black, blue, green, orange, white, purple, or neon red, as long as the story is fun little things like this mean nothing to me as a reader. It only means something to those who refuse to accept that something may be different compared to the original novels, which again, mean nothing to me.

But to each their own.
                          Dynamite Entertainment
                          Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                            I could care less if pirates are black, blue, green, orange, white, purple, or neon red, as long as the story is fun little things like this mean nothing to me as a reader. It only means something to those who refuse to accept that something may be different compared to the original novels, which again, mean nothing to me.

But to each their own.

I am not complaining about color! You didnt even read a single thing I wrote if you think that this thread has anything to do with color.

It should mean something too you, because regardless if you have read the original works or not, you enjoy the series. AS an enjoyer of the series you should want other people to enjoy it, changing things like this will ruin it for some of the readers

less people buyign these comics=less chance the series will continue

thus you will not be able to enjoy it anymore

not to mention that the source material should be respected, without the source material the comic wouldnt exsist at all

does it REALLY make any difference if the rumors of their homeworld say they are from the further moon instead of the nearer moon? NO IT DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE

but what makes a difference is if they actually ARE from one of hte moons or not, because in the books they WERE NOT FROM THE MOONS, they lived undergroudn upon a vast sea . There queen was the source of the god issus

and the species is one of the original three species that the red martians sprang from

The black martians are so firmly a part of barsoom, that making them come from the further moon . . . .. . just ruins the characters adn their purpose in the series

Comment

• Warlord of Mars is doing quite well despite having differences to the original material, just because it shares a name does not mean it has to be 100% accurate. Just look at anime and manga, usually the anime adapts the manga but there are usually always differences and changes, it just goes along with the territory. Plenty of people are enjoying Dynamite's WoM franchise and I seriously doubt that a ton of people are going to be turned off because of possible changes you mentioned, and if those changes are made then chalk it up to creatives changes made for a new audience. No big deal.

Being respectful to the source material is one thing, being a slave to it is something entirely different.
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                                Warlord of Mars is doing quite well despite having differences to the original material, just because it shares a name does not mean it has to be 100% accurate. Just look at anime and manga, usually the anime adapts the manga but there are usually always differences and changes, it just goes along with the territory. Plenty of people are enjoying Dynamite's WoM franchise and I seriously doubt that a ton of people are going to be turned off because of possible changes you mentioned, and if those changes are made then chalk it up to creatives changes made for a new audience. No big deal.

Being respectful to the source material is one thing, being a slave to it is something entirely different.
                                I agree with you, but changing things for the sake of changing things is not the same as changing stuff because of adaption decay or limitations of the medium in which it is conveyed.

There is no reason, that it says the black pirates are from teh further moon, if the writers want to keep the origins of the blacks secret until the main series reaches the gods of mars, thats fine.

But there is no reason to change it to further moon, I am willing to bet that when the comic is released I would be able to cross out every reference too the further moon, or even just the word further, and replace it with teh word nearer and it would make no difference (or replace the word cluros with thuria)

But the problem is, people unaware of the original series will be oblivious to the change, and people who are long time fans will be pissed off. Therefore this change is pointless

now if there was a reason for this change I would accept it . . . . but there is none at all

changing something from the source material for the sake of changing it is not a good thing

in anime (we will use fullmetal alchemist as an example) sometimes the series begins before the manga is finished. A good example of this is full metal alchemist, the show had to come up with its own reasons and own storylines to compensate for the differences

But as far as small details it tried to maintain consistency with the original work

For example, the humonculi Envy, and Gluttony had different story arcs in teh original anime. But both of them transformed into monsters as part of their story arch maintaining some of the same feel

If the black pirates are from the moon in this story, it destroys the origins of the red martians, it collapses the religious structure of barsoom. and removes teh entire ending of gods of mars which was dependent upon the fact that the black martians lived under ground in the omean sea

this will cause severe adaption decay because the ending of gods of mars leads directly into the opening of warlord of mars.

Dynamite isnt looking at the big picture, minor changes now equal catastrophic changes later!

I will accept the changing of which moon the black pirates are said to come from, so long as it stays just that . . . a rumor, and not any declaration of fact about which world the first born originate from

Comment

Working...
                                X