Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warlord of Mars: Fall of Barsoom #1

Newsarama has posted the first pages of this series.

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime....php?aid=43733

What's up with the dude dressed up as an X-Men with the leather jacket checking out the environment? That character clothes really stand out as out of place.

Comment

• Beat me to the punch, I was just going to post this!

Anyhow, I'm loving the art on this book, it's fresh and gritty and gives the book a much needed "dark" feel to it. Love it!
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
        Beat me to the punch, I was just going to post this!

Anyhow, I'm loving the art on this book, it's fresh and gritty and gives the book a much needed "dark" feel to it. Love it!
        I've been expecting this series too and like the artwork but the artist or writer choice of dressing a character in contemporary earth clothes riding a jeep in a story supposedly happening 100,000 years before the United States civil war strikes me as odd, the street scene looks very Blade Runner too. Lots of characters wearing pants kind of destroys the illusion that this is ERB mars. I even see fedoras and driving caps in the street scenes. What's next cowboy hats and suits? LOL I prefer the more roman, ancient civilization attire that I've always seen by other artists. I'm picking this up tomorrow so will see if there is something inside the story that brings any sense to it.
        Last edited by JohnCarter; 07-26-2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• I think they were operating under teh assumption taht the ancient barsoomians were more advanced and modern

but . . . when this story takes place in the books . . . they hadnt even mastered firearms yet .. . the atmosphere factory was in the beginning stages, and airships werent even an idea.

why are the first born giant?

a note about the okar, since I am a nitpicker! There are two fur covered creatures on barsoom, the apt, and the orluk

the apt has white fur

the orluk black and yellow stripes

THERE ARE NO BROWN FURRED CREATURES

why depict the yellows as 99% correct? and stop there . . . . really baffling too me

and the first born have black hair . . .they aint usually bald

but I applaud thtem from keeping the depictions from being racists towards asians and africans
          Last edited by Ralok; 07-26-2011, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralok View Post
            I think they were operating under teh assumption taht the ancient barsoomians were more advanced and modern

but . . . when this story takes place in the books . . . they hadnt even mastered firearms yet .. . the atmosphere factory was in the beginning stages, and airships werent even an idea.
            Hah! I was hoping you would show up. Since you are the expert with the novels I was hoping there was a logical explanation. I don't like to sound too nitpicking but I like when the original material is respected too and some elements in these pages artwork jumped at me as wrong right away starting with that guy that looks exactly like Cannonball from the X-Men.

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
              Beat me to the punch, I was just going to post this!

you know, your opinion has no weight in the community right? your an administrator, you most definitly have a paycheck from dynamite comics

you dont have too swoop in every time someone complains about something, in fact you should awknowledge the communities issues and try and bring them to the attention of your superiors

not try and dismiss the concerns of the community as wrong because you dont share the same opinion as them

Comment

• Look the art of the comic is fine, nobody hates the art but what is being shown with the art is all wrong. It looks like a scene out of farscape and not a scene of an ancient struggling world that hasnt even mastered gunpowder

It feels . . . .alright

but everything is just a bit . . . . offcenter

I mean . . . . really . . . . is it too much to tell the colorist that the okar wear white fur?

Why are the first born giant?

I had thought they were primordial greens until they were called out by name

it .. . . all . . . . just feel . . . just . . . slightly off

if it was significantly further off, it wouldnt be so botheresome

99% correct . . . . is just annoying . . . why not make that final push to make it all teh way?

just . . . weird

Comment

• Well Nick Fury was white, then suddenly became black, that didn't bother me too much. I thought Iron Man was still awesome, without the white nick fury. SO black or red if the story is good I could care less. BUT, that said I have never read the books, so................

Comment

you know, your opinion has no weight in the community right? your an administrator, you most definitly have a paycheck from dynamite comics

you dont have too swoop in every time someone complains about something, in fact you should awknowledge the communities issues and try and bring them to the attention of your superiors

not try and dismiss the concerns of the community as wrong because you dont share the same opinion as them
                    I think Comixfan is obviously a reader too and as much a fan as any of us, I don't feel he was dismissing my comments by deciding not to critisize the artwork and concentrate on the positives instead.

Comment

It looks like a scene out of farscape and not a scene of an ancient struggling world that hasnt even mastered gunpowder
                      Yep, I have to agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by comichero View Post
                        Well Nick Fury was white, then suddenly became black, that didn't bother me too much. I thought Iron Man was still awesome, without the white nick fury. SO black or red if the story is good I could care less. BUT, that said I have never read the books, so................
                        okay . . . . listen carefully . . . .not once has the color of the pirates been brought up as an issue, they are black in the comic and are black in the books . . .. why you would say what you just said is so completely random, that you have angered me!

And black nick fury is from the ultimate universe, a different universe to the baseline marvel comics

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnCarter View Post
                          I think Comixfan is obviously a reader too and as much a fan as any of us, I don't feel he was dismissing my comments by deciding not to critisize the artwork and concentrate on the positives instead.
                          yeah, but his religious optimism is burning a hole in my brain (you can see the scar :P)

Comment

Yep, I have to agree.

I had to say specifically farscape, because that is what it specifically looks like . .. it looks very fascape too me

ummm . .. . does dynamite do a farscape comic?

If it does . . . . did the artist who did the farscape comic do this one too?

Just wondering?

The courtroom, looked perfect I think . . . . but the streets and the central character . . . not so much

I actually like the gas masks . . . very . . . . league of extroadinary gentlemen mars

Comment

It is sad they decided to be so conservative with her costume because Lynn Collins definitely has the physical attributes to play Dejah Thoris.
                              is . .. . her nipple airbrushed off?

I actually found her looking alot how I had imagined Dejah thoris, to many people imagine Dejah as . . . . girlish.

but she isnt young . .. . she is a woman

I have always imagined her with a womanly beauty, a natural beauty

Comment

• Arvid speaketh

Hello, everyone! It's me, it's Arvid. Thanks to comixfan1980 for getting me access to the forums. I've been wanting to post for a while now.

I've learned defending myself on BBs is a total W.A.S.T.E. of time don't feed the trolls. Thanks to everyone who came to my defense, I do appreciate it. You said it all more eloquently than I ever could have.

I'll just say this: it is completely beyond my power to "ruin" or "corrupt" Edgar Rice Burroughs. You give me way too much credit if you think that. I also stand firmly by all the alterations made to the originals. I only made the changes I thought were absolutely necessary, after careful consideration.

One honest-to-God mistake I made in an early issue was referring to a "zode" as a day, not the Martian equivalent of an hour (actually, 2.46 hours, if you're interested). Mea maxima culpa; I have a little reference document now so I don't get things like that mixed up.

With regards to the black "moon pirates", I'm aware they're not really from Mars's closer moon. Of course. The Dejah stories take place before the Carter stories. Carter is the one who exposes the truth about the black Martians, so we're saving the reveal for him.

And yes, I'm aware they're believed to come from Thuria, the closer moon. It was a typo in solicitation text. That's all.

I'm happy to take up anything and everything; I'll stop by here from time to time. But be forewarned: if you're a troll, or I think you're a troll, I will ignore you utterly.

Comment

Working...
                                X