Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arvid Nelson View Post
    Hello, everyone! It's me, it's Arvid. Thanks to comixfan1980 for getting me access to the forums. I've been wanting to post for a while now.

I've learned defending myself on BBs is a total W.A.S.T.E. of time – don't feed the trolls. Thanks to everyone who came to my defense, I do appreciate it. You said it all more eloquently than I ever could have.

I'll just say this: it is completely beyond my power to "ruin" or "corrupt" Edgar Rice Burroughs. You give me way too much credit if you think that. I also stand firmly by all the alterations made to the originals. I only made the changes I thought were absolutely necessary, after careful consideration.

One honest-to-God mistake I made in an early issue was referring to a "zode" as a day, not the Martian equivalent of an hour (actually, 2.46 hours, if you're interested). Mea maxima culpa; I have a little reference document now so I don't get things like that mixed up.

With regards to the black "moon pirates", I'm aware they're not really from Mars's closer moon. Of course. The Dejah stories take place before the Carter stories. Carter is the one who exposes the truth about the black Martians, so we're saving the reveal for him.

And yes, I'm aware they're believed to come from Thuria, the closer moon. It was a typo in solicitation text. That's all.

I'm happy to take up anything and everything; I'll stop by here from time to time. But be forewarned: if you're a troll, or I think you're a troll, I will ignore you utterly.
    hmm, I cant tell if you are the actual Arvid Nelson, or if you are a troll posing as arvid nelson . . . . but I always assume good faith so I assume it is you.

so one second

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HEHEHEHEH

okay now that I have got my fanboy moment out of the way XD

It is not my intention to troll but I am pretty zealous towards the original works. I am merely frustrated at the "minor" changes, not towards the major changes

Major changes I can live with, I can see why the changes happened . . . I understand them . . .. and heck some of them are pretty cool even

the writing in the warlord of mars series is superb . . . but its easy for hardcore fans like me to get irked easy

Like in the new fall of barsoom series . . . beautiful artwork . . . but the fact that the yellow martians have a fur color different from the known furry animals on barsoom . . . just . . . confuses me . . . .

I am glad you came to defend yourself and the series, very cool! It shows a level of dedication and care rarely seen amongst writers these days.

Alot of the problems the Edgar Rice Burroughs fan community has as a whole are concerning the art work of the comics.

I in particular get somewhat irked with these comics because of their almost correct but not quite depiction of the races

my reasoning is different from most people, I run the wiki and I desperately need good images of each of the barsoomian races so people visiting it can get a good look at them

most other people in the community . . . . just dont like the art because they are jerks

Keep in mind, despite my problems with the series . . . I still buy it! I still read it, and I look forward for handing over as much money to dynamite comics as humanly possible! Simply for masterminding the series

I truely hope in the future though that we see more . . . . ummm . . . how do I phrase this . . . apocryphal creatures?

I rather like it when writers create their own critters to inhabit the world of barsoom, so if some day in the future you people could substitute a banth or a calot (or any creature) with something original with a cool name . . . that would be awesome.

Also easy fix towards continuity errors concerning spoken dialogue are simple sentences like . . .tars tarkas could say "I never believed I would have taken a name from a man who couldnt even tell time" or something like that, it suddenly stops being an error . . . and starts being an asepct of character
    Last edited by Ralok; 07-27-2011, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralok View Post
      you know, your opinion has no weight in the community right? your an administrator, you most definitly have a paycheck from dynamite comics

you dont have too swoop in every time someone complains about something, in fact you should awknowledge the communities issues and try and bring them to the attention of your superiors

not try and dismiss the concerns of the community as wrong because you dont share the same opinion as them
      No weight huh? Polishing the machine, am I? You couldn't be far from the truth, my friend. There are titles Dynamite publishes that I couldn't care less about, I don't read The Boys, Lone Ranger, Zorro, Sonja, and half of the other stuff like Vampire Huntress and Nevermore, Robo Cop, and all that other stuff. I really only read like 5 titles from Dynamite and I'm certainly NOT on their "payroll", I do receive every book they publish though, but I'm not on their payroll at all.

Second of all, I'll post what I want. If I agree with something, I'll post about it, if I disagree then I'll post that too. I've disagreed with a lot of the Superpowers stuff in the past as well as the ammount of GH titles and some I thought were poor, so I'm not always waving the DE flag in their honor. I call them how I see them, if you don't like that then.....well, it doesn't matter because it won't stop.

Just because YOU don't care for my opinion doesn't mean others don't, so think before you speak next time. Thanks.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
        No weight huh? Polishing the machine, am I? You couldn't be far from the truth, my friend. There are titles Dynamite publishes that I couldn't care less about, I don't read The Boys, Lone Ranger, Zorro, Sonja, and half of the other stuff like Vampire Huntress and Nevermore, Robo Cop, and all that other stuff. I really only read like 5 titles from Dynamite and I'm certainly NOT on their "payroll", I do receive every book they publish though, but I'm not on their payroll at all.

Second of all, I'll post what I want. If I agree with something, I'll post about it, if I disagree then I'll post that too. I've disagreed with a lot of the Superpowers stuff in the past as well as the ammount of GH titles and some I thought were poor, so I'm not always waving the DE flag in their honor. I call them how I see them, if you don't like that then.....well, it doesn't matter because it won't stop.

Just because YOU don't care for my opinion doesn't mean others don't, so think before you speak next time. Thanks.
        hmm . .. well I have heard good things about the zorro and robocop comics and I hear they are worth picking up . . . so you should probably pick them up for the heck of it

Comment

• After reading this book I have to say I'm on board. Artistic misses aside the story seems solid enough. This seems like it will be a good introduction to all the Mars history from the ERB novels, hopefully they won't deviate too much from the original material. Anyways sooner or later I know I will end up reading all the novels. It is now three ERB Mars comics a month between Warlord, Dejah & Fall of Barsoom. Almost like getting new material every week!

Comment

• Welcome Arvid! I'm an old John Carter fan from the Marvel Comics series that started reading the novels but still has a lot to go. In a way I wish I had already read the novels because I think the familiarity with the material would have made me enjoy and appreciate even more your writing if that is even possible. You are making a great job and the respect and dedication to the material shows. Both Warlord of Mars & Dejah Thoris have become my favorite comics. I also enjoyed the first issue of Fall of Barsoom which is being written by Robert Napton. Are you guys coordinating? I find the artwork in both your series more accurate and uniform with the material I've seen published on the ERB official site, pulp covers and the Marvel series. Anyway, welcome again and hope to have you around often.

Comment

• Hello, Ralok! Yes, it's really me. Who in their right mind would pose as me, after all?

Thank you for being so understanding about the changes. I should also say that artists have a lot of input when it comes to visuals. I try to inform them the best I can you should see the reference documents I cobble together but really, it's up to them. Things never get drawn the way I imagine them when I'm writing, but that's okay; it's really important for artists to have their say, too.

I'm sorry we can't do a more rigorously "correct" version of Barsoom for the wiki and for the hardcore fans I'm a hardcore fan, too. I just do the best I can to strike the right balance. Unfortunately, there's no way to literally transcribe the books into comics.

I really appreciate your support despite all of this. I hope you'll continue to enjoy the series for a very long time. I'll always do my best, I promise you that.

I love fixing bloopers/continuity errors with clever patches of dialog; in the Case of the Infamous Zode, it was such a flagrant mistake that I think we're just going to change it to "revolution" in the TPB.

Comment

• John Carter! Thanks for the compliments. I'm loving Fall of Barsoom, too. Robert has some great things in store, just you wait. We're definitely coordinating, yes. It's nice being able to sit back and read for a change!

Comment

John Carter! Thanks for the compliments. I'm loving Fall of Barsoom, too. Robert has some great things in store, just you wait. We're definitely coordinating, yes. It's nice being able to sit back and read for a change!
                  On the art chores, I see that Sadowsky is listed as the artist in the following stories, what happened to Lui Antonio? I've honestly come to love Lui Antonio's artwork. In my opinion Sadowsky needs a strong inker.

Any chance of other artists lending a hand or for an annual maybe? I'd like to see Simon Bisley, Ariel Olivetti, Joe Jusko, Cary Nord & Richard Corben.

Comment

Hello, Ralok! Yes, it's really me. Who in their right mind would pose as me, after all?

Thank you for being so understanding about the changes. I should also say that artists have a lot of input when it comes to visuals. I try to inform them the best I can – you should see the reference documents I cobble together – but really, it's up to them. Things never get drawn the way I imagine them when I'm writing, but that's okay; it's really important for artists to have their say, too.

I'm sorry we can't do a more rigorously "correct" version of Barsoom for the wiki and for the hardcore fans – I'm a hardcore fan, too. I just do the best I can to strike the right balance. Unfortunately, there's no way to literally transcribe the books into comics.

I really appreciate your support despite all of this. I hope you'll continue to enjoy the series for a very long time. I'll always do my best, I promise you that.

I love fixing bloopers/continuity errors with clever patches of dialog; in the Case of the Infamous Zode, it was such a flagrant mistake that I think we're just going to change it to "revolution" in the TPB.
                    I have had people pose as me on websites before to try and smear my name by posing as me .. . . but I can tell you . . . anybody who would pose as you . . . .would be NOT in their right mind! If they were in their right mind . . . they wouldnt pose as you (I know this from experience, people posing as me were not in their right mind)

With fall of barsoom, I have come to love the artwork a bit more because of the consistency between the series!

It is okay that it isnt totally correct, its all till waaaaaaaaaay cool. And there is definitly some cool stuff being done with the art that I wouldnt have imagined . . . thus it is adding to the universe

Overall in these series more has been added than subtracted

EDIT: AND after a bit of searching Ican tell you that a martian "year" (one revolution around the sun) is an "Ord"
                    Last edited by Ralok; 07-28-2011, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnCarter View Post
                      After reading this book I have to say I'm on board. Artistic misses aside the story seems solid enough. This seems like it will be a good introduction to all the Mars history from the ERB novels, hopefully they won't deviate too much from the original material. Anyways sooner or later I know I will end up reading all the novels. It is now three ERB Mars comics a month between Warlord, Dejah & Fall of Barsoom. Almost like getting new material every week!
                      word yo!

and when marvel starts publishing comics (its not a contest but it will be fun to compare and contrast the different series) you will probably be getting new material every week for a while :P

Comment

With fall of barsoom, I have come to love the artwork a bit more because of the consistency between the series!
                        Nicely put. I agree, reading Dejah Thoris and Warlord of Mars, even though very different artists styles you feel you are in the same world/universe, not so much with Fall of Barsoom.

Comment

word yo!

and when marvel starts publishing comics (its not a contest but it will be fun to compare and contrast the different series) you will probably be getting new material every week for a while :P
                          I know Marvel's product hasn't been out yet but everything I've seen looks inferior to what Dynamite has published.

Comment

• [QUOTE=JohnCarter;20633]I know Marvel's product hasn't been out yet but everything I've seen looks inferior to what Dynamite has published.[/QUO

DONT CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to buy it anyways!!!!! Just because I cant get enough

by the time the film is out, there should be like 5 tradepaperbacks available beetween all these series

MUST GIVE MONEY TO COMIC PUBLISHERS

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnCarter View Post
                              Nicely put. I agree, reading Dejah Thoris and Warlord of Mars, even though very different artists styles you feel you are in the same world/universe, not so much with Fall of Barsoom.
                              True fall of barsoom is a bit different . . . but it still is close enough that it creates a sense of consistency!

Comment

• Guidebook

I have seen often comic book series release a feild guide or a guide book concerning the universes they are crafting or showcasing. A particular favorite of mine is the guide accomanying planet hulk which showed the awesome world that hulk was upon. . . .

Now I beg of you dynamite entertainment . . . with every fiber of my being

CREATE A special one shot issue showcasing the amazing world of barsoom

PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X