Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those interested in John Carter reprints, Dark Horse is currently producing some.

Available now is a hardcover edition, "John Carter of Mars: The Jesse Marsh Years." This book reprints all of the John Carter material originally published in the 1950s by Dell, later reprinted in the 1960s by Gold Key.

Coming in January is the trade paperback of "John Carter of Mars: Weird Worlds." This edition reprints all of the John Carter material produced for DC Comics in the "Tarzan," "Tarzan Family" and "Weird Worlds" titles in the early 1970s.

With the realease of these two books, I think the odds are good that Dark Horse will reprint the Marvel "John Carter: Warlord of Mars" run before the new movie comes out in June of 2012. With these and Dynamite's new adaptation, it's a good time to be a John Carter fan.
    Last edited by MadMikeyD; 08-20-2010, 02:01 PM.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Issue #1 landed on my door step today and I was very pleased with the art after flipping through it, I wont get a chance to read it until tonight but I am amazed at how nice the pencils were at-a-glance. Only a $1.00 price tag too which is a nice way to attract some readers
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I saw the previews in comicbookresources.com. I'm an old fan that was introduced to the character with the Marv Wolfman & Gil Kane comic series which was fantastic. It made me look for the novels and read some of them. I like the way this series starts giving us a glympse of John Carter the confederate soldier. I'll be checking it out this Wednesday.

Comment

As predicted, in March 2011 Dark Horse is releasing a TPB collecting the complete 28 issue + 3 annual run of Marvel's "John Carter, Warlord of Mars" series.

Anyone pick up Dynamite's first issue? I read the preview and it looks really good. Hope to get to the LCS soon to pick up this and my copy of Lone Ranger #24.
          DECODER RING THEATRE
          EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Back on the Dynamite side of things, here is Joe Jusko's awesome cover to Warlord of Mars #3, again courtesy of his DeviantArt gallery. John Carter vs. White Apes of Barsoom - sweet!

DECODER RING THEATRE
            EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

I picked up issue #1. Good story & nice art. The only problem is that he didn't make it to Mars by the end of the issue Not really a problem but I would have liked to see Mars.
              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Odds are Carter won't make it to Mars until #3. I'm betting this two-issue prelude will end with Carter in the cave.
                DECODER RING THEATRE
                EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
                  Back on the Dynamite side of things, here is Joe Jusko's awesome cover to Warlord of Mars #3, again courtesy of his DeviantArt gallery. John Carter vs. White Apes of Barsoom - sweet!

Yeah, I love the picture of the girl.....just wow.
                  Dynamite Entertainment
                  Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

If you're a fan of the old John Carter comics, Dark Horse is collecting all the DC and Marvel John Carter material next year. They already collected the Dell/Gold Key Carter material this year. I talked about it some in the other John Carter thread:

John Carter of Mars Comes to Dynamite
                    DECODER RING THEATRE
                    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Any chance Jusko could do a painted backup like his work for Hellraiders?

Comment

Originally posted by MadMikeyD View Post
                        If you're a fan of the old John Carter comics, Dark Horse is collecting all the DC and Marvel John Carter material next year. They already collected the Dell/Gold Key Carter material this year. I talked about it some in the other John Carter thread:

John Carter of Mars Comes to Dynamite
                        I still have some of the Marvel material, I sold most of it. All the Gil Kane and the Foom interview I ke. I also have the DC comics material. I'd like to get the Dell/Gold Key.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the work Jusko's done here. His John Carter is just too brutish.

Even Frank Frazetta, a man not widely noted for his subtlety, had the good sense to draw Carter more like the Southern Gentleman the book describes, and less like Conan the Barbarian:

Comment

I finally read through the issue. I really enjoyed it. Telling a prelude could be very good or very bad. So far I'd say it was pretty good. We've gotten a feel for both John Carter and Tars Tarkas, and neither is far removed from the original Burroughs. Carter is a proud southern soldier, but doesn't kill just for the sake of killing. Tars is also a proud warrior, but with a compassion not normally seen among his people. I enjoyed the issue, and am definitely looking forward to issue 2.
                            DECODER RING THEATRE
                            EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Issue #2 goes on sale this week. The preview pages illustrate scenes from the actual novel, and they follow really well. I was very pleased to see that.

Once again, from Joe Jusko's Deviant Art gallery, here is his art for the (WRAPAROUND!) cover of issue #4:

DECODER RING THEATRE
                              EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

I just bought issues 1 & 2 and i like it!

John Carter is a favourite of mine since my youth, I shre his dream of Barsoom in kind of a way. I am happy that Dynamite picked this up with the big movie on the horizon.
                                Your portrait of John is very fitting, I like the way he looks in the comic.
                                The green men are a bit off for me but they are probably the most hard to please all.
                                they are too bulky for my tase and the ears which ERB described in detail are missing...

Lets see how you do Dejah Thoris. I have Scott Campbell's cover where she looks like a sweet little Manga princess.

Comment

Working...
                                X