Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warlord

Like most story lines that have been done to death, I think the younger people really don't even know much if any thing about it. So if it's good they would like it. DE would do well by that and stay in bussiness. For me, I've tried other Burroughs writings and find them very good and would enjoy them . For me Tarzan was a fave for many years but too many bad writers and actors finally ruined it for me(sorry). I'd like to read more about John and Dejah's daughter ,Tara of Helium and what happened to her after she got stuck in the tree on the wrong side of Mars. The spoiled brat sounds like she needs some humility.
    Lothar

Comment

• sigh

I dont hate tarzan . . . . it is just . . . I have had enough of him

he is one type of character and he has been pretty thoroughly explored

new stories can always be told . . . .new things can be said

But . . . I would rather they explore carson napier of venus

the julien family throughout the ages

I want dynamite do something . . . . different

Comment

• I used a search engine to look up all the occurrences of "Sab Than". He does kind of get a raw deal if you look at his activities in the book. However, he is also a party to kidnapping the princess and using her to help subjugate Helium.

Comment

• Just ignore the strips...same as half of the eleventh "novel".

Comment

• According to the solicitations, Ande Parks has #21, a stand alone story. Not sure if they intend to have him write the book full time beyond that.

Edit: Apparently so, according to this tweet:

"Happy birthday wishes to (Kevin Smith), who changed my life for the better and continues to do so as I write his version of GH & Kato."
            Last edited by Captain Canuck; 08-03-2011, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• You know, Sab Than is an interesting question... for me, the most revealing character moment for him is when he asks Than Kosis to end the war, which he calls "unpopular". I definitely get the sense he's only too happy to marry Dejah Thoris, but he's also concerned and troubled by what Zodanga's doing. He's very passive, of course, he doesn't do anything about it, which is the big difference between him and Carter.

Carter's interaction with the Caretaker of the Atmosphere Factory is also interesting and complicated; in some ways, the Caretaker comes off as the wronged party.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arvid Nelson View Post
                You know, Sab Than is an interesting question... for me, the most revealing character moment for him is when he asks Than Kosis to end the war, which he calls "unpopular". I definitely get the sense he's only too happy to marry Dejah Thoris, but he's also concerned and troubled by what Zodanga's doing. He's very passive, of course, he doesn't do anything about it, which is the big difference between him and Carter.

Carter's interaction with the Caretaker of the Atmosphere Factory is also interesting and complicated; in some ways, the Caretaker comes off as the wronged party.
                I wish the pace of the story was more relaxed in some places so we could get more characterization and decompression. There was a post on the board about when Carter was wandering the desert that he encountered mars flora and fauna in the book and the person posted that this could have taken an entire issue in the comics. I realize you cannot please everybody and that you have to select what passages from the books to concentrate on but I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
                  At least they're not doing gold foil/hologram covers yet. That would be REALLY offensive.
                  Hah! I would totally buy a 3D hologram risque cover! Now polybagged...that's where I draw the line.

Comment

• What has Ande Parks done?
                    He's following in two big sets of footprints imo.
                    This has been among my favorite books, from any publisher, now for about 2 years.
                    What is Ande's background?

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Craig View Post
                      What has Ande Parks done?
                      He's following in two big sets of footprints imo.
                      This has been among my favorite books, from any publisher, now for about 2 years.
                      What is Ande's background?
                      Well, as a writer he's worked with Phil Hester on the last couple of issues of GH and he's also been writing the (modern) Kato book.

Comment

• Me!

Hey gang,

I am writing the Red Hand arc based on Phil's plot. After that ends (with issue 19) it's all me. A couple of single issue stories and then I start a new big arc. The new arc features a couple of new villains and concentrates a bit more on Britt's side of the equation. Felt right after the Kato-based Red Hand story.

As for what I've done as a writer, I've done a lot of Dynamite work in the last two years. I've written every issue of Kevin's Kato book, as well as the Green Hornet: Blood Ties mini and the Death of Zorro book.

I've also written a few creator-owned graphic novels and a couple of Daredevil specials for Marvel. I've only been writing full-time for a few years, after a long career as an inker (most often with Phil).

That's it. Just thought I could easily answer a few questions. Hope you guys are digging the book. Just finishing writing the Red Hand stuff. I like the ending. You'll find out more about why he does what he does before it's over.

Carry on!

Best,
                        Ande

Comment

• Originally posted by Arvid Nelson View Post
                          You know, Sab Than is an interesting question... for me, the most revealing character moment for him is when he asks Than Kosis to end the war, which he calls "unpopular". I definitely get the sense he's only too happy to marry Dejah Thoris, but he's also concerned and troubled by what Zodanga's doing. He's very passive, of course, he doesn't do anything about it, which is the big difference between him and Carter.

I never thought of him that way...I viewed him mainly as another obstacle for John Carter. ERB certainly didn't mean for him to be a negative character. His descriptions of "bad" people, with certain exceptions, invariably contain the words "close set eyes" and "thin, cruel lips". I suppose Sab Than was just one of those guys in the wrong place at the wrong time.

With regard to the caretaker, he was simply doing his job. I don't believe Burroughs portrayed him as anything but magnanimous for even letting John Carter in the building.

Comment

• Tarzan?! YES!!! Bring it on!!!

As for Tarzan being done to death -- what about Spider-man or Batman? If new writers can come up with new interesting stories for them, why not Tarzan?

Damn! I look forward to Dynamites take on the ape man! :-))

Comment

• Originally posted by Bjarne View Post
                              Tarzan?! YES!!! Bring it on!!!

As for Tarzan being done to death -- what about Spider-man or Batman? If new writers can come up with new interesting stories for them, why not Tarzan?

Damn! I look forward to Dynamites take on the ape man! :-))
                              That involves character evolution through complex continuity, spider man and batman have new things happening too them . . ..

Adapting the same tarzan stories over and over and over and over again is not fun

WHY WOULD IT BE

Look . . . . how would you feel . . . . if . .. . . every year they just decided to redraw spidermans origin story

or keep retelling one more day

I want new stories .. . . . not hte same old stories

I want PELLUCIDAR, I WANT AMTOR

I want to see savage beasts and savage worlds

I want too see action and adventure, heroes we have never seen before

Do you know how many times Edgar Rice burroughs Carson has been adapted into comic form . . . .twice, once a telling of the first few chapters of pirates of venus IN A BACK UP COMIC TO A TARZAN COMIC, the second time carson was adapted into comic form IN A CROSSOVER WITH TARZAN

How about Edgar Rice Burroughs moon maid series, adapted once into comic form . . . . in a crossover with tarzan

Pellucidar . . . . I have yet to see a pellucidar comic outside of weird worlds that hasnt involved tarzan!

Caspak . . . TARZAN CROSSOVER

Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote ALOT OF BOOKS, many characters adventures and worlds

HE bled imagination through every fiber of his being despite sticking to a forumalae most of the time

He was the greatest and most influential writer of all time even though most people dont know it

RESPECT HIS WORKS all of them, by not abusing one of his creations to death
                              Last edited by Ralok; 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• for the record . . . . despite my objections if a tarzan series is produced by dynamite I will be buying it

because . . .. as you may have noticed . .. Iam more than a little obsessed with Edgar Rice Burroughs

Comment

Working...
                                X