Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, it's the same font, which has all 26 letters of the English alphabet, plus all the numbers and symbols on your keyboard. (The image shown above is merely another fan's attempt to "decode" it.) Anyone (including DC or Dynamite) that purchases the font from Comicraft has the right to use it for publication. Did you check out the "Gobbledygook" link HERE? Dynamite didn't create this; neither did DC -- Comicraft created it. [Inside joke: A is for Alien. Note that the character in this font for the letter A resembles the 3-fingered Martian hand from George Pal's 1953 movie version of The War of the Worlds!] Here is the complete character set:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gobbledygook.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	48537

You can type English (or any other language) sentences in this font and have it come out "alien" looking, or you can just type nonsense, and most people would never know the difference. Note that using all lower-case characters in this font results in an alien-looking font that is still barely readable as English, while using all upper-case characters will confuse the hell out of most of your readers! Or better yet, use both, just to keep them guessing. Translation of the text above the complete character set:

gobbledygook - regular
    ALIENS
    have conquered
    OUR PLANET!
    Last edited by positronic; 01-23-2012, 10:17 PM.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• the thing is though, consistently in the dynamite comics two symbols are used with just about ever letter . . . which is really odd, I dont know how it happened at all and its very confusing . . . I dont know if dynamite modified the font or what

but do you want to do me a favor?

could you edit this wiki page http://barsoom.wikia.com/wiki/Martian_Tongue and explain the origin of this font

Comment

• honest I am dissapointed that they didnt create their own font like disney did :/

not to say disneys font is that great . . . . . .

so for the disney pages on the wiki, I put the name in disneys barsoomian font on the page, should I do the same with dynamites pages?

Comment

• Well, if you compare the two symbols next to each English letter in the translation table you showed, you'll see that one character represents the upper-case gobbledygook character for that letter, while one represents the lower-case character in gobbledygook. Not sure why Dynamite is doubling the letters, or if they're actually translating the English capitalization, since you don't show actual examples of its usage in the WoM books. In effect, a straight transposition of "Dynamite Entertainment" would actually be spelled as << Ddynamite Eentertainment >> using gobbledygook. Or are they just ignoring rules of capitalization? I haven't really checked the books to see.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• After reading the wiki, it's incorrect to say "Dynamite Comics Warlord of Mars has its own, fairly difficult to understand alphabet. Symbols are often re-used, and almost each letter has two symbols that can represent it!"

Dynamite doesn't have its own font, it uses Comicraft's gobbledygook font, which is generic and used by other companies for other alien languages. The reason two gobbledygook characters for the same English letter don't look the same is the same reason "A" doesn't look like "a", and "G" doesn't look like "g" -- it's upper and lower case for the same sound.

Then again, as the wiki explains, there is no ONE written alphabet for the Martian language, there are many, just as there are many alphabets on earth -- such as Chinese, Japanese, Hebrew, Arabic and Cyrillic alphabets. Not every alphabet represents a single language, as for example, English, French, and Spanish all use the same alphabet. On Barsoom the opposite would seem to be the case -- a single common spoken language, but many different written languages and alphabets.

A note on terminology: if any of the foregoing seems unclear, you need to look up the precise dictionary definitions of the following: font, alphabet, language, letter, character, case. Some of these terms may seem interchangeable, but they are not. There are also character sets like runes, ideograms, pictograms, heiroglyphics and glyphs where the characters do not represent vocal sounds, but instead words or ideas.

So gobbledygook and Disney's proprietary Barsoomian font can both coexist and neither has to be "wrong".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet
            Last edited by positronic; 01-24-2012, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• I would like to think of the dynamite font as the kaol and ptarthian written language

Comment

• Still eager!

Comment

• warriors of mars, completely confusing preview of confusion

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/...n-jack-jadson/

I just . .. dont get it, why turn the hithers into red martians, and the thithers into greens . . .

NO NO NO, dont get me wrong it looks great, and I like that the reds and greens are now getting names :O

it is just odd, because the hithers were white martians (think orovar), and the thithers were red martians (think . . . RED MARTIANS)

so . . . both martian groups in gullivar could have been races from barsoom . . . . I dont . . . .

this seems really . . . out of the way . . . . you get what I am saying? it feels like you guys went out of your way . . . . I mean . . . . I feel like you ignored a really obvious connection beetween gullivar of mars and john carter of mars . . . . the presence of red and white martians

Comment

• any knowledge on League of Extraordinary gentlemens mars font?

Comment

• Still eager to find out when this is set! Is it before she met JC, between the first two story arcs, etc.?

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                        Still eager to find out when this is set! Is it before she met JC, between the first two story arcs, etc.?
                        I think . . . . beeefooooore!

Comment

• No reason why the Hither people and the Thither people couldn't have been completely separate races, either. Or perhaps evolutionary offshoots of ERB's established races. There are definite differences between the Thither people and Burroughs' red martians.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                            No reason why the Hither people and the Thither people couldn't have been completely separate races, either. Or perhaps evolutionary offshoots of ERB's established races. There are definite differences between the Thither people and Burroughs' red martians.
                            I see what you are saying, I would have preferred if they were evolutionary offshoots, such things have been seen a few times in burroughs works. The therns for example, and the red martians themselves!

There is one individual red in ERB's work that I would have tried to connect with the thithers, the jed of the small city of ghasta who almost perfectly fits the description of the thither folk and has completely unexplained origins!

I would have vastly preferred if the thithers were a dying group of white martians under the oppression of a degenerate group of reds

but at the same time I appreciate the inversion of the barsoomian norm here, with the greens actuallys oppressing the red martians . . . the greens here are horribly deformed, showing what I can only assume is the consequence of them interbreeding with the reds and themselves for too long.

I welcome the opportunity to call the red martians hithers, and the green martians tithers it has been too long that they not have names for their species!!!!!

still . . . . . they did ignore a rather obvious connection, and I have heard alot of talk about how "we found a connection nobody expected" or something along those lines . . . but all I have seen thus far is one removed connection

Comment

• and whats odd, is that this page doesnt match what is written here at all

http://www.dynamite.net/htmlfiles/vi...13018677500111

"Before John Carter another earthman visited the Red planet: Lt. Gullivar Jones. Now these legendary warriors are brought together for the first time!
                              When Lt. Guillivar Jones happens upon a mysterious old man with a beautiful carpet he soon finds himself transported through space and time to the planet Mars where he meets the beautiful Princess Hera and a ferocious tribe of Red Martians bent on capturing her!"

how is it that this is accurate, but the comic is not?

I hope that maybe this preview is outdated, or not providing all the information

hmmmmm considering the date it was posted . . . I am going to say it is outdated, and perhaps they have repaired the errors we have seen in these pages of this preview! I mean it couldnt be that hard to replace some green martians, and recolor some reds could it?

Maybe thats why it is taking so long to get out .. . . . well we shall wait and see

Comment

• Well, I'm hoping that the writer or someone official will tell us for sure soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X