Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C'mon, Ralok, the preview was only a few pages, unscripted! I think you're assuming you know too much about the story already. Wait until next Wednesday and read the whole book.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
      C'mon, Ralok, the preview was only a few pages, unscripted! I think you're assuming you know too much about the story already. Wait until next Wednesday and read the whole book.
      its just . .. the hithers are supposed to be white . . . about half a foot shorter than gullivar . . . . . . . making them red was a serious bad move!!!! but like I said, the preview we have seen that made them red is pretty old, it could have been fixed and hopefully was fixedd. . . . .

I dont know why there are green martians at all in this comic, and they seem to be taking the place of the thithers and that irks me

lets be fair . . . . Gullivar of mars isnt that good, but I still feel the need to pay respect to the original book

but if it isnt exact, I shall view it as the gullivar of the John Carter universe, logic stands to reason that in the vast multiverse people will exsist in alternate realities, in the original book Gullivar traveled to his realities mars, in barsooms realitiy Gullivar traveled to his realities mars . . . it is logic!

so i am not thrashing it . .. . . I just think that they had some misteps!

AND I REALLY REALLY REALLY HOPE that they include some of gullivars stuff, the bird of death, the giant rats . . these things are fairly barsoomian, we have rodents on barsoom of unusual size . . . and the bird of death is my favorite thing that can be connected to burroughs . . . not exactly

the hithers believe that when they die the spirits of the dead come back in this bird, similiar to how the therns believe they are ressurected in the bodies of animals!

Both are white martians that believe in reincarnation as animals! GIVE THAT SOME THOUGHT
      Last edited by Ralok; 01-28-2012, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• I also cant help but be dissapointed in the artists depiction of gullivars sword

it should have been more like this

http://arms2armor.com/Swords/1852navy.htm

and being something he brought from earth with him, I feel like it would have been a very personal object! and a unique artifact on barsoom!

Comment

• Here's the thing. The preview pages are unscripted. You are ASSUMING Hithers and Thithers. Well, you may be right, but there's just as much chance that you're wrong. Don't start lambasting the writer and artist until you can confirm what you THINK are mistakes are actual mistakes.

Then again, since this is a kind of "crisis on two Mars" smooshed-together universe, nothing's probably going to be 100% accurate, and we've got to be mentally prepared for that going into this thing.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• So, we have this statement over on the Encylopedia Barsoomia:

Martian writing is rather difficult to explain to earthmen, it is something of a cross beetween shorthand and picture writing.

And yet both the Disney font and the Gobbledygook font use a standard 26 letters and 10 numeric characters, just like standard English. Not, in fact, like shorthand or picture writing at all. But very convenient for Earth readers (but probably not, if you happen to be Chinese, though).

Comment

Here's the thing. The preview pages are unscripted. You are ASSUMING Hithers and Thithers. Well, you may be right, but there's just as much chance that you're wrong. Don't start lambasting the writer and artist until you can confirm what you THINK are mistakes are actual mistakes.

Then again, since this is a kind of "crisis on two Mars" smooshed-together universe, nothing's probably going to be 100% accurate, and we've got to be mentally prepared for that going into this thing.
              I have read the original book, the scenes here are verbatim the scenes in the book just the martians are inexplicably the wrong species!

Comment

So, we have this statement over on the Encylopedia Barsoomia:

Martian writing is rather difficult to explain to earthmen, it is something of a cross beetween shorthand and picture writing.

And yet both the Disney font and the Gobbledygook font use a standard 26 letters and 10 numeric characters, just like standard English. Not, in fact, like shorthand or picture writing at all. But very convenient for Earth readers (but probably not, if you happen to be Chinese, though).
                Indeed! funny isnt it!

Comment

• President/Publisher

Hi All,

The preview had the wrong colors, the primitive martians were corrected to red for the final.

best

Nick

Comment

• Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
                    Hi All,

The preview had the wrong colors, the primitive martians were corrected to red for the final.

best

Nick

ALRIGHT, but for the record even if it wasnt fixed I would have been a happy man! Also that green martian design was rather AMAZING!!!!
                    Last edited by Ralok; 01-30-2012, 03:01 AM.

Comment

• is it wednesday yet XD I am going nuts waiting for this comic

Comment

• Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                        I will create a forum for Lord of the Jungle tomorrow and port over all LOTJ posts to it for good keeping. Your wish is my command.
                        Hrm... what happened?

Comment

• We got the forum, is what happened!

Comment

• dynamite has its own preview up, dear god the suspense is killling meeeee!!!!

wait . . . Dejah Thoris' mom had an infatuation with gullivar, is she An or Heru . . . either way, those are hither-folk they are supposed to be a white race, the thithers are the red race, sworn enemies of the hither

uuuuugggg, the most solid connection of Gullivar to Barsoom is the presence of a white race, and the presence of a red race . . . two alien races from gullivar, white & red

there are surviving pockets of white martians, and many nations of red on barsoom . . . . this is a solid connection, a red nation oppressing a small pocket of white martians . . . that is a very barsoomian thing!

why get rid of that connection?

Comment

• Hooray!!

Comment

• Well, I've read the issue. Curiously enough, this issue uses yet a different type of alien language font (not Comicraft's Gobbledygook) that I can't identify. Then there is the incongruity of one of the blood-red colored Thither people referring to the Hithers as "the Red Men" (who are only about as red as your average Native American, or at most a good sunburn). That sort of struck me as funny.

Other than that, there is the framing sequence (which I won't spoil for you), then it's straight into a pretty straightforward (if necessarily condensed) adaptation of the beginning of Gullivar's story, which takes a bit of a turn once he arrives on Barsoom (which I again won't spoil). Not a bad start, but John Carter only appears in the framing sequence so far.

Marvel's "Gullivar Jones, Warrior of Mars" (in CREATURES ON THE LOOSE in the 1970s) had the Hither people as lemon-yellow skinned, the Thithers as blood-red skinned, but of a monstrous sub-humanoid type. It's been decades since I read the novel, so I can't recall how Edwin Arnold described them.
                                Last edited by positronic; 02-01-2012, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X