Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kloot View Post
    What a terrible idea.

His artwork is terrible.
    Must be why Marvel signed him for an exclusive for years.

Comment

• ERB's John Carter of Virginia + Edwin Arnold's Lepidus the Centurion = one & the same

http://books.google.com/books?id=UHg...Arnold&f=false
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Funny, on page 2 it's mentioned that Jones had "served the Republic with honor against the South and earned (his) rank" (which would seem to place the scene on Earth sometime shortly after the Civil War), yet on page 6, in Gullivar's apartment, he is shown with a copy of Percival Lowell's first book on MARS (which was published in 1895, some 30 years after the Civil War ended). That would make Gullivar Jones quite old indeed. Just picking nits.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
          Funny, on page 2 it's mentioned that Jones had "served the Republic with honor against the South and earned (his) rank" (which would seem to place the scene on Earth sometime shortly after the Civil War), yet on page 6, in Gullivar's apartment, he is shown with a copy of Percival Lowell's first book on MARS (which was published in 1895, some 30 years after the Civil War ended). That would make Gullivar Jones quite old indeed. Just picking nits.
          You bring up an excellent point, in the original book gullivar reading that book would make sense, there is no indication of him being a civil war soldier in the original book, and the book was implied to take place in a contemporary setting (about 1905?)

I would suggest that the civil war in dynamite comics universe continued for a much longer period! certainly any army with John Carter as a part of it would not give up so easily!

lets try and migrate this conversation to the thread Warriors of Mars (lets discuss it here)

to avoid all the mess I have created here with my idiocy

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
            ERB's John Carter of Virginia + Edwin Arnold's Lepidus the Centurion = one & the same

http://books.google.com/books?id=UHg...Arnold&f=false
            Maybe with some heavy modifications, at the very least "Warlord of Earth" should have references to it, and perhaps characters . . . its only right now that Gullivar is part of barsoom as dynamite sees it!

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic
              Thus far, I have avoided looking into this too deeply. My initial impressions were somewhat disappointed, especially with the Tharks - they look entirely too spindly and un-fearsome. Trying to keep an open mind though.
              most artists who draw concepts for tharks and green men in general end up going that route with the tharks after doing research into desert cultures and studying the anatomy and proportions required

I love how andrew stanton described the tharks, they arent aliens to him, they are just humans that evolved with mars as mars changed. You get used to their faces after a while that is the only real odd part, their tusks are great

and if you dont like the thark designs, the warhoons have everything going for them in this film (why are the warhoons ALWAYS without fail better designed than the tharks o _ O in EVERY adaption WHY!)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...n-martian.jpeg

Comment

• My gripe is actually that John Carter seems to be just wearing too many clothes. I far prefer the Dynamite version!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralok View Post
                  You bring up an excellent point, in the original book gullivar reading that book would make sense, there is no indication of him being a civil war soldier in the original book, and the book was implied to take place in a contemporary setting (about 1905?)

I would suggest that the civil war in dynamite comics universe continued for a much longer period!
                  I would suggest that it's a minor artistic mistake, or even artistic license, that doesn't need a radical re-imagining of history to deal with.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                    My gripe is actually that John Carter seems to be just wearing too many clothes. I far prefer the Dynamite version!
                    I think that is kind of a petty thing to get angry about.

him being naked was never going to happen :/

Comment

I would suggest that it's a minor artistic mistake, or even artistic license, that doesn't need a radical re-imagining of history to deal with.
                      I dont think it is radical to imagine some events going on slightly longer, and some events taking place slightly sooner

the book only needs to be a little older, and hte civil war to go on a little longer

a slight adjustment to world history, no biggie

Comment

• when the heck is the next issue XD

the paaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn XD

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralok View Post
                          I think that is kind of a petty thing to get angry about.

him being naked was never going to happen :/
                          LOL! Not angry, nor did I expect him to be naked (I don't know if there is a language/translation issue here), just in something more of a loincloth and less of a kilt.

Comment

LOL! Not angry, nor did I expect him to be naked (I don't know if there is a language/translation issue here), just in something more of a loincloth and less of a kilt.
                            no language translation issues I think

but there might be a gas leak in my house :P

Comment

• Perhaps Gullivar is a well preserved 50-ish gentleman. Or maybe he's got a little of the same stuff that kept Captain Jack Carter young and spunky?

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic
                                When reading the books, I always thought of the Tharks and Warhoons as different tribes, not different races, like the Cherokee and the Apache. Physically, they should look exactly the same, although they may have different looking clothing, metalworks, and body adornments. Of course, individual members of each tribe may vary slightly in physical stature and appearance, just as with humans.
                                they are physically the same, the difference is in lifestyle, this is why i like the movie variation . . . because it is one of the very few variations of barsoom that seems to depict them basically the same

in one of hte older versions of the film warhoons were going to have crocodile-like heads and white bodies and not resemble the tharks in any way

Comment

Working...
                                X