Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue 15 another winner!

KAOR!

I really enjoyed issue #15. I thought the story moved along at a good pace with a few surpises.

I enjoy seeing the Temple of Issus and the surrounding city in the large panel. Try for a little more alien...I'm a sucker for alien city scapes.

Also when I saw the First Born walking a plant man on a leash...I thought "Hey the can't do that....then I reconsidered and say why not? I mean so what if it took 100 years to train...she has the time. I did also appreaciate the fact she was wearing high heels...but that is smoke from another fire.

Staying with that them...the First Born riding the white ape. I was shocked again...then seeing the bit...why not. I like to see ERB worlds stretched a bit....it is not blasphemy...just interpretation.

I enjoy Salazar's artwork. His illustrations of JC and Phaidor are right on with me. I especially liked the panels when they are in the "holding" cell of Xodar's ship. Notice the settees they are sitting on and the wall paper? Vintage looking...say circa 1913? Phaidor's reaction to the rebuff by JC was classic! Then she realizes what she has said and falls to his protective arms. Real planetary romance stuff. However, there is one panel that seems out of place. Phaidor has her arms around JC's neck then the next panel she is on her knees in front of him. This panel I think should have been on the following page right before she kisses him.

I also was impressed by the fight scene. I wanted more of it! I am sure Carthoris could have dispatched those calots with ease but I am greedy and wanted it to continue.

I will say thumbs up on the close up panel of Issus' face! Wow....

Pinto's colors seem a bit too bright on the red martians this issue. I prefer the muted tones from issue #14 for their skin tone.

Waiting for the next issue!

Comment

• Originally posted by comichero View Post
      he has done work for DE in the past, in fact he has done work for both DE and Dark Horse (Sonja/ Conan) it's not so far fetched to think he might return for some more work here.
      Other than covers and pinups, what work has Frank Cho done for DE? I must have missed it. You're talking about getting him to do "an issue or two" (by which I assume you mean interior story art) of WoM, but I don't believe I've seen an entire story drawn by Cho for DE. And I'm sure Dark Horse's page rates, while not as good as Marvel's, are still higher than Dynamite's.

Contrary to your claim that Cho is "not doing anything right now but re-hashing and re-selling his old art work", he's being kept busy by Marvel doing covers, and is slated to do interior art for one of the one-shot crossovers in the upcoming A vs. X event, as well as having already shown some of his art for a secret upcoming "X-Women" project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cho_Valkyrie.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	48541Click image for larger version

Name:	AvengersVsXMen_0_Cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	48543

Seems like if Dynamite were going to wheedle a WoM cover out of Frank Cho, Dejah Thoris and The White Apes of Mars #1 would have been the perfect opportunity.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by positronic; 02-11-2012, 07:25 AM.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by spartan1961 View Post
        KAOR!

I really enjoyed issue #15. I thought the story moved along at a good pace with a few surpises.

I enjoy seeing the Temple of Issus and the surrounding city in the large panel. Try for a little more alien...I'm a sucker for alien city scapes.

Also when I saw the First Born walking a plant man on a leash...I thought "Hey the can't do that....then I reconsidered and say why not? I mean so what if it took 100 years to train...she has the time. I did also appreaciate the fact she was wearing high heels...but that is smoke from another fire.

Staying with that them...the First Born riding the white ape. I was shocked again...then seeing the bit...why not. I like to see ERB worlds stretched a bit....it is not blasphemy...just interpretation.

I enjoy Salazar's artwork. His illustrations of JC and Phaidor are right on with me. I especially liked the panels when they are in the "holding" cell of Xodar's ship. Notice the settees they are sitting on and the wall paper? Vintage looking...say circa 1913? Phaidor's reaction to the rebuff by JC was classic! Then she realizes what she has said and falls to his protective arms. Real planetary romance stuff. However, there is one panel that seems out of place. Phaidor has her arms around JC's neck then the next panel she is on her knees in front of him. This panel I think should have been on the following page right before she kisses him.

I also was impressed by the fight scene. I wanted more of it! I am sure Carthoris could have dispatched those calots with ease but I am greedy and wanted it to continue.

I will say thumbs up on the close up panel of Issus' face! Wow....

Pinto's colors seem a bit too bright on the red martians this issue. I prefer the muted tones from issue #14 for their skin tone.

Waiting for the next issue!
        Actually, the plant-man on a leash thing is based on something directly from the book. In the book they walk freely amongst the plant-men . . . and the planet men are seemingly scared of them O _ O

same with the white apes of the valley dor! They have seemingly domesticated these creatures in the books, they didnt use them as specifically as tehy used them in the comic though, but that makes me happy.

If a 15 foot tall gorilla monster is scared of you! take advantage of that!

though I am dissapointed we have seen no serpentine ornaments or symbolism yet as the omean seas subterranean world is the only place on barsoom you will find snakes

Comment

• Still eager to know when this series is set!

Comment

• Oh, do tell us! Please do tell us! We chronology mavens are longing to know!

Comment

• I dont think we are going to get an answer to that particular question at this moment bro, we are just going to have to wait and see.

Comment

• Well, we might, so I will live in hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                  So does it say when Gullivar's first visit to Mars is actually set? I know he travels through space and time, but if this predates Dejah Thoris' birth then it would be before, say, the 1400s, but I don't know when.

Yes. Yes, I am that much of a chronology weenie.
                  Alas, I've looked over the issue several times now and I can't find any indication of when in the past Gullivar has arrived. Help?

Comment

Alas, I've looked over the issue several times now and I can't find any indication of when in the past Gullivar has arrived. Help?
                    seriously?

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/12/14/...riors-of-mars/

according to this 1400 years before John Carter arrives

Comment

• Whoops! This was a different site than the one I'd seen before. Since Napton does not contradict them, I assume they have the date correct. Thank you!

Geek: Gullivar hits historical Barsoom about 1400 years before John Carter. What’s the era like?

Napton: Well, having gone back into the past with Fall of Barsoom, I had tackled some of this already in telling the story of the fall of the Orovar, the once dominant race on Mars. In this story, the setting early on is dictated by the Gullivar novel—we wanted to set up Gullivar and tell his story within the context of Barsoom. Some elements of Gullivar’s plot had to be shifted to tighten the connection to Barsoom—if I say anything more it will ruin the surprise, so we’ll see how all this plays with those purists out there [laughs]. I’ll say in advance that Alan Moore did the same thing in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 2, he put Gullivar and Carter on the same red planet and had them meet, so if it works for Alan Moore, it works for me [laughs].
                      Last edited by ChastMastr; 02-16-2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• Burroughs estate to sue Dynamite.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=37044

Uh oh guys....
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• I warned about this previously, I think dynamite should just have a sit down with ERB Inc. and try to work out a deal out of court, there is no reason to accelerate hostilities here. ERB Inc. is filled with a lot of incredibly reasonable people to my knowledge and so is dynamite entertainment.

The way I see it, there are only a few sore spots here, the copyright on the characters, the usage of Orovars and Malagors (which are not from the public domain john carter books)

I dont want too see dynamites warlord of mars series end, I just think that ERB Inc and dynamite needs to work out a deal, and not to get in a fuss about this and not escalate to childishly hating each other.

Comment

• No no no!!!

I would be so unhappy if the books came to an end...

Comment

No no no!!!

I would be so unhappy if the books came to an end...
                              I am willing to be that ERB Inc doesn't want them to come to an end as well, they like there to be new things based on on ERB's mars and tarzan, and Dynamite Comics have been incredibly faithful to the source material.

I would think that they simply need to start having a relationship with ERB inc, start working to pay what ERB in thinks dynamite owes them for the usage of the intellectual properties, and work to make sure that a good relationship is maintained in the future.

And if a good relationship can be established between ERB inc and Dynamite, then Dynamite will no longer be restricted to producing stories based on the first five mars books, or whatever tarzan books are in the public domain

I think this is for the best, I just hope that both companies handle this situation with the rationalism and kindness that both companies are known for!

Comment

• Honestly, ERB Inc. should be happy that someone gave a damn about their franchise to try to market it to a new audience, it's a license that nobody gave a damn about and they should be kissing DE's feet in thanks that they helped to make John Carter relevant again.
                                Dynamite Entertainment
                                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Working...
                                X