Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think Cliquet is awful, but I agree that the inconsistencies with character looks is awkward. You expect some of that between artists, but Chrittendon looks nothing like what we've seen before.

That said, it's a matter of opinion, but if it's the sacrifice I have to make to see this book out on time, I'll take it. Hornet has fallen behind maybe all of three months over the course of two years. For Dynamite, sorry to sound harsh, but that border on phenomenal.

I've seen too many of the other books I enjoy from this company lose whatever momentum they have due to tardiness so while I prefer Vitorino over Cliquet, if the latter does every 4-6 issues so deadlines can be met, have at it, Dynamite. If there's a concern that it may turn people off, credit him as "guest artist".

Let me say Ande Parks' writing has been strong and I enjoy his story lines. He has kept up the high standard set by Kevin Smith.
    I'll go one further and say he surpassed it. I'll give Kevin Smith credit for setting up the template but it's a smarter book with Parks writing it. I was SO glad to see he's going on beyond this storyline. As long as he's around I'm confident that this version of the character is in good hands.
    Last edited by Captain Canuck; 04-01-2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Captain Canuck, you bring up a good point about how Green Hornet has fallen way off schedule. If Cliquet is just a temporary fill in so they can get caught up, I guess I can live with it. I had finished reading #22 and was really excited about the new arc and it seemed Vitorino was getting better. So the inconsistencies in #23 were a big let down.

Glad I am not the only one who saw the same thing with Chrittendon. I think that he could become a very interesting supporting character, but the Dennis Franz look is a real injustice.

I have to agree with you about Parks. He did Green Hornet Annual #1 and at that time, I thought he would do a great job with the series. I am really intrigued with this current arc.

So how about this compromise: Dynamite, please get a little more consistent with the art. And tell Chrittendon to take out his contacts and lose some weight!

Comment

• IMPROVING Quality of Interior Art

One man's meat is another man's poison, as they say. To be honest, this book had dropped rather low in my weekly read pile (bottom of the pile for least interest). Then this issue came out and all of a sudden I was interested again. I would be ECSTATIC if Ronan Cliquet would continue on as the regular artist on this title. I doubt it'll actually happen, as I got the impression this was a fill-in issue. But I sure wish it wasn't. I've never been quite happy with the art on this book, and found Jonathan Lau to be particularly distracting when drawing action scenes. There are so many lines and things moving around in every direction that I have a hard time figuring out what's supposed to be going on; it all blends together. Cliquet's clean-line style is a breath of fresh air.

As for Chrittendon -- eh, who cares. Artists redesign characters (especially supporting characters) on a regular basis. I can remember when Commissioner Gordon was a beefy, older white-haired fellow with a pencil-thin mustache and pince-nez glasses. And when Alfred Pennyworth was rotund and comical. Even Amanda Waller, until recently a middle-aged grossly overweight brick shithouse of a woman (the female equivalent of Marvel's Kingpin), is now a young hot'n'sexy chick. For all I know, Inspector Harvey Bullock of the GCPD may now be a male underwear model babe magnet.

I will admit that the last few issues have been more interesting, storywise, than the book has been in quite a while, so kudos to Parks. But I couldn't truly get excited about it yet because the art had been only so-so. Wish Cliquet was a permanent fixture.
        Last edited by positronic; 04-01-2012, 05:05 PM.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• It took me a while to get used to Lau for pretty well the reason you state. It always looked there was water splashing around during his action scenes.

I only noticed because of this conversation, but Cliquet also did the art for #21 (the MMA issue) but he's not credited for it on the website. So he's done two of the last three issues regular and the annual. I wonder if he wasn't called upon sort of "last minute" to do 21 because it seemed like they expected Vitorino to take care of it (he gets credit i the solicitation).

Along those same lines, Ivan Nunes has been our regular colourist for a while. He's in the solicitations for #22 and #23, but not in the credits for those issues. 22 was actually done by Adriano Augusto (pages 1-11) and Marcio Freire did the rest. They both get credit for 23 but without being separated by pages.

So I wonder if Dynamite didn't end up silently jumping through hoops to make sure these books hit the shelves on time. If this is the case, credit to those involved.

Comment

• As an aside, this thread is about interior art, but I've got to say that I really like the style of Brian Denham's "exterior art" (covers).

Comment

• I wasn't crazy about the MMA story, but liked the art. And I recall liking both the story and artwork on the Annual. Didn't go back and check, but should have realized it was the same artist.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Dejah Thoris 11

I am going to tell it like it is, good issue, solid story.

There is a few major problems

someoen forgot that grass on mars, is red REEEED

THE COLOR OF GRASS ON MARS IS RED, I forgive you though, you can recolor it in the trade-paperback

that is . . . .literally the only problem here! good start, although the issue did feel a little bit short.

Comment

• If Dejah Thoris is on the page, who's looking at the grass?

Comment

• Well, this may make some happy and some not. I was looking at the previews and Green Hornet #29 lists Ronan Cliquet as the illustrator. Maybe he is taking over. I still prefer Vitorino over Cliquet. Guess we will see.

Glad everyone agrees that Park is going a great job with the story lines and content.

Comment

• Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                      If Dejah Thoris is on the page, who's looking at the grass?
                      Anyone older than twelve

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralok View Post
                        Anyone older than twelve
                        Charming. Serious sense of humour bypass, there.

Comment

• Decline in Interior art

I have to agree, the interior art by Cliquet is not GOOD!! For me, it needs to be changed or I will drop the title.. Also, most customers of our store in Colorado Springs agree.

Comment

• Now that the preview is out, it looks like it could be in between the first Warlord of Mars arcs... or after the second one.

Anyone know for sure? Help?

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I'm so flattered that you all like the covers as much as I like doing them! ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by joe jusko View Post
                                Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I'm so flattered that you all like the covers as much as I like doing them! ;-)
                                Just so long as you keep doing them, we'll all be happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X