Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dude wut?

are these official? if they are I will have to get them . . .

I hope there are interesting bits of information

Comment

• Well.......Project Superpowers trading cards anyone?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

• No fooling. These are real. The PSP cards came out a few years back, and the WoM cards are due in June or July, with a special 18-card "preview" factory set available right now. Both sets are 72 base cards plus various subsets of "chase" cards (specially-designed collector's binders are also available for both sets, for those who like to put the cards in those 9-pocket binder pages). Breygent is the card manufacturer; they've also done card sets for Vampirella and Red Sonja based on Dynamite's artwork. Check out the links. No, I don't have anything to do with Digital Heroes, I just found their website when doing a search for the cards. No Kirby Genesis trading cards, darnit, although there were a couple of Jack Kirby trading card sets back in the 1990s that had some of his original designs for some of the characters that later show up in KG.
        Last edited by positronic; 04-27-2012, 10:03 AM.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Well, looks like Cliquet is going to be the artist goign forward. I just saw the previews and he is listed as artist for #30. Just read #24 and Vitorino was back. He did a great job in this issue, including a re-interpretation of Chritton which fits the evolution of the character. I really hope Cliquet ups his game.

Comment

• I'm just glad that those of us who like beefcake are being considered as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
              Well, us Crotchety Old Fart Fans (*COFF*) are set in our ways. Sometimes takes us a while to warm up to these newfangled doodads. Not putting it down, just sayin'.
              Speaking as someone who's read several versions of Tarzan in comics in the last thirty odd years including the Gold Key, DC and Marvel versions-I think this is the best I've seen so far, particularly in terms of being close to the source material (which I have read).

Comment

• Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                Speaking as someone who's read several versions of Tarzan in comics in the last thirty odd years including the Gold Key, DC and Marvel versions-I think this is the best I've seen so far, particularly in terms of being close to the source material (which I have read).
                For me, Russ Manning and Joe Kubert are pretty hard to beat (I'm not as attached to the Foster and Hogarth strips, as for me those came much later). For that matter, to bring things a bit more up to contemporary times, Thomas Yeats (Kubert school alumnus and recently contributing a Tarzan story to Dark Horse Presents #9-10) is pretty damn good also. So yeah, a lot of serious competition there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DHP143_Tarzan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	48598Click image for larger version

Name:	DHP09_Tarzan.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	48597Click image for larger version

Name:	DHP10_Tarzan.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	48596
                Last edited by positronic; 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• I still have a fondness for the British Tarzan Annuals of the seventes, and also for the series depicted here...

http://s497.photobucket.com/albums/r...ro/tarzan1.jpg

Comment

• Couldn't make out much from the tiny image, but that's a Russ Manning cover, so probably reprints of the 1970s newspaper strip.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                      Couldn't make out much from the tiny image, but that's a Russ Manning cover, so probably reprints of the 1970s newspaper strip.
                      The book was published by Williams Publishing between 1971 and 1975 and copies with both UK and US cover prices exist. Does that sound about right?

Comment

• Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                        The book was published by Williams Publishing between 1971 and 1975 and copies with both UK and US cover prices exist. Does that sound about right?
                        Not familiar with this particular title at all, Tony. Can't read the issue number (too small) but I'm guessing (despite a 20 cents cover price) from the "Fortnightly" on the cover (every two weeks, right?) that this was designed to be distributed in English speaking territories like the UK and Australia/New Zealand (or perhaps South Africa?), maybe even Canada... In any case, the date would conflict with DC Comics' US license to the ERB characters, so it wouldn't have been distributed here.

We don't have fortnights in the US (or at least we don't have a word for it). And very few publications that issue twice a month.

Closest thing I can find on a "Williams Publishing" Tarzan comic is here (unfortunately no cover images):
                        http://www.comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=34193

Might be the same as "Williams-Verlag GmbH" (apparently a German publishing concern), covers look similar at any rate:
                        http://www.comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=30207

Probably another example of how American comics (The Phantom, Flash Gordon, Mandrake, Tarzan, Disney's Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck & Family) are much more popular outside of the US.
                        Last edited by positronic; 05-04-2012, 04:46 AM.

Comment

• Warlord of Mars 17, Dynamite comics should be ashamed of themselves

Seriously, the lack of any proffessional foresight has just shined through.

This is absolutely disgraceful in every concievable way! I tried to inform you guys mutliple times, but because of your ignorance you have created a glaring plot-hole!!!!!!!!!

This makes dynamite comics look like a bunch of retarded monkeys playing with their feces, this is just absolute crap that this was allowed to happen.

ADMIN NOTE: I don't mind when people get upset over storylines, but can we possibly keep it civil without insulting the creators? The answer to my question would be, "yes.....we can".
                          Last edited by comixfan1980; 05-04-2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Cliquet at all and felt Vitorino was much better, but Lau still remains the king daddy of this book with his great interiors and awesome covers.
                            Dynamite Entertainment
                            Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Yes, and I'm sure the 3 people who really give a crap will cry their eyes out.

Seriously, this is nothing and the way you expressed your concern over it leads me to believe that you're possibly 10 years old, twelve at best. Why is this panel such a huge deal, anyhow? I guess some people forget that all we're doing is reading comic books, not scripting the next great American novel. Sheesh.

Comment

• Well he does say "There is no place in the land of the first born for more green savages". He didn't say there wasn't a place for any green savages. Like sorry, right now we're all full up. You know, regarding your application we're sorry to inform you that we are no longer accepting any new applicants at this time, thank you for your interest in the land of the first born.

And yeah, Ralok, you need to dial it down a few notches (or grow up a few notches). Seriously, there's something wrong with you, man.
                                Last edited by positronic; 05-05-2012, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X