Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
    I was kind of confused about Tarzan telling Jane he is white skin while he told Clayton he wasnt. Only thing I can figure out was that Clayton was talking to Tarzan while Jane was writing. Tarzan only speaks ape.
    To clarify, the SOUNDS of the English language words "white skin" are meaningless to Tarzan. On the other hand, he taught himself to read and write English, and he writes his own name according to its meaning in ape language as "white skin".
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Passed on this one as well even though I really like the art. Have been trimming down my Warlord of Mars pull list and this one and the Warriors of Mars series were the unlucky ones.

Comment

• I read so many bad reviews that my expectations were real low. When I finally saw it on tv I can honestly say I enjoyed the movie, I have seen much worse.

Comment

• I think I've given up on seeing a movie based on an Edgar Rice Burroughs series that's worthy of the books. There's supposedly a new Tarzan movie in the works that will use a lot of CG, but honestly I don't hold out much hope. There were bits and pieces of Greystoke, Tarzan the Ape-Man (1980), and Tarzan and the Lost City that worked, if only you could somehow graft them all together, but so far everything's been a letdown. If you could somehow graft the special effects from Jurassic Park together with The Land that Time Forgot (1975) you might have a halfway decent ERB adaptation.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Warriors of Mars #3

WHERE is it? It been 2 months now! Issue #2 came out 3/28/12 and it is NOT on the list for shipment next week..

Are you going to drag it out like Green Hornet Strikes?? Its been ONE year since issue #9 was published and still no finish to the series!!!

Comment

• dont beg bro, comics take time to make!

Comment

• Lord of the Jungle Annual #1

I enjoyed this one quite a bit more (both story and art-wise) than I did any of the regular issues so far. Maybe because it's an original story, maybe because I really liked Sergio Davila's artwork. My only complaint was that it didn't feel like an Annual-length story (didn't count the pages). Well, that and really, what are the odds of Tarzan encountering a giant alligator (or was it a crocodile) in the sewers of New York? Mutant ninja turtles maybe, but alligators in the sewers? How cliche.

Comment

• It was fine, but I much prefer the core creative team to the one that was put on this issue. All in all it wasn't a bad issue and it was a fairly breezy read with a fantastic cover, the story itself was fine but the art was a little "bleh" and could have been a lot better. I do love the main series and I'd say this wasn't a bad attempt at an annual, I just wouldn't want this to be the creative team for the core story.....if you catch my drift.

Comment

• Guess we're just gonna have to disagree on both Sergio Davila and Ronan Cliquet then. I've been kinda "meh" on the regular series so far (as I am on Jonathan Lau and Igor Vittorino). OK, but not outstanding. Sort of hope they can just wrap up the adaptation soon and get on with regular original stories.

Comment

• Dejah Thoris #12

uuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . MEH, nothing particularly exciting happens, but I guess it isnt too bad of an issue . . . kinda freaky, but nothing too different from the stuff Burroughs wrote, the witch is particularly Reminicient of that one guy from Llana of Gathol so I assume she is some ancient orovar sorceress like him . . .

I have to wonder if maybe she has some relation to the woman in the cave?!?!?!

CONTINUITY ALARM: I am happy to say nothing extreme this issue, but there is one little thing! Calots are not taken by Red Martians as pets, this was a plot-point in Princess of Mars. BUUUUUUUUUUT, Red Martians do take creatures roughly that size called "Sorak" now typically a "Sorak" is equated with an earthly cat, but I can suspend my disbelief and think that a "Sorak" is the barsoomian version of a Pug! The creature in question is reffered to as a "Calot" only once, and I recommend changing it to Sorak for the TPB!

Comment

• hey

it was so so...not that great...
                        Last edited by Awearo; 07-07-2012, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• the last Disney movie was totally rad and had a lot of things in it I really and utterly loved!

Will give the ScyFy a look when I stumble across it

Comment

• Agree, it was so so. I like the concept but it seemed a bit rushed. I was a little surprised to see him kill the German in the ring. I thought he he would tried to do something to convince him, like 2 gladiators uniting against Rome. I like the way the core series is evolving and this seemed out of place. Just the fact Tarzan is speaking English took me a minute to digest.

The art was ok. not horrible like some other series. I prefer the core series art. More edgy.

Positronic, I would take Davila over Cliquet.

I think the "so-so" rating is very accurate.

Comment

• Annual's never seem to be quite as good as the core series, I've come across a small handful over the years that have either came close or were slightly better but nothing that really stands out. This Lord of the Jungle Annual is one of those that just isn't nearly as good as what's going on in it's mother title.

But it isn't like it was a horrible book, if you catch my drift.

Comment

• Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
                                I was a little surprised to see him kill the German in the ring. I thought he he would tried to do something to convince him, like 2 gladiators uniting against Rome.
                                Actually, given that this is the very early Tarzan (I believe there was a note there somewhere about the story taking place after regular issue #8), I thought that rang true. At this point in his career, Tarzan is still a savage ape with very little understanding of human civilization. He is still very much attuned to his jungle-bred instincts of kill or be killed. When Tarzan says he doesn't want to fight the German, he means he doesn't want to kill him. Plus I didn't get the impression that the German was there against his will.

Comment

Working...
                                X