Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gee, I don't know. The story takes place before Thuvia, Maid of Mars, so obviously the relationship doesn't go anywhere. Possibly the girl dies. I don't see where it violates anything ERB wrote, though. It's just a story, don't get all worked up over nothing.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• I have too . . . I am the rabid fanboy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralok View Post
        I have too . . . I am the rabid fanboy
        Well, one can get better, after all...

Comment

• Enjoyed this read, solid artwork, but still missing Lui Antonio's style -- for a fan of the old Marvel Comics series like me there is some originality in Antonio's style and an Ernie Colon's influence in his pencils that seemed to tie in with the old series.

Comment

• A great improvement on the artwork in the previous story arc. That's a relief.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Dejah the Jedessa?

*SPOILERS*

I would like to point out, before it is immortalized in the trade paperback and future printings that Dynamite has once again messed up!

In the most recent issue of Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris, the Boora Witch possessed Dejah Thoris declares herself the Jeddessa of helium, we previously heard this term as the name of Phondori's airship . . . I had thought it was a name, like the name of a legendary first born individual . . . or something.

Just now am I learning that this is Dynamite comics attempt at making a female counterpart to the term for a barsoomian emperor Jeddak . . .

Now, be prepared dynamite comics . . . this is going to blow your mind . . . Edgar Rice Burroughs, was waaaaaaaaaay ahead of you! He wrote a proper term for female empress' into his books . . .

Jeddara . . .

So, if you would be so kind as to . . . fix that for the Tradepaperback printing that will include Dejah Thoris #13, that would be swell! Feel free to leave Phondari's ship the Jeddessa's revenge though . . . I like that, it opens more story telling possibilities.

Comment

• yes Ralok, but how do you feel about the story in issue 13? Do you like where it is going?

p.s. how do you feel about the art?

Comment

• Originally posted by comichero View Post
                  yes Ralok, but how do you feel about the story in issue 13? Do you like where it is going?

p.s. how do you feel about the art?
                  I have been very MEH on the art of series, but it is very effective and consistent . . . uuuummmmmmm

the series is going okay, this is probably the most boring of hte storylines . . . I am intrigued about the Orovars seen at the end of the issue . . . I am more interested in the storylines that are upcoming in the series . . .

correct me if I am wrong? but the recent issues have been . . . pretty short? I dont know . . . they feel short, I am more interested in the saturnians than I am in the boora witch . . . I got enough stuff like this from the Marvel series and its city of the dead storyarch . . .

I have a theory that the Boora witch is using the captive barsoomian women as a psychic battery to increase her own abilities . . . or something

Comment

• i agree the story seemed short, but the last few have seemed that way to me also. My question is how much of this story line is EBR and how much is DE?

Comment

• Originally posted by comichero View Post
                      i agree the story seemed short, but the last few have seemed that way to me also. My question is how much of this story line is EBR and how much is DE?
                      This is all dynamite comics! But i have to say there is . . . some pretty good consistancy, they use the "Martian Handshake" in this series, the placing of ones hand on each others shoulders . . . only one race on mars shakes hands (the yellow men of Okar)

Lots of good consistancy in this series, the mountains of torquas . . . the first born . . .

The biggest errors they have made, is the color of the grass in the great toonolian marshes (a real ERB location) should be red, and Thuvia is a good deal older in this series

In a way "Warlord of Mars Dejah Thoris" fits the books . . . better than warlord prime, the main series outright contradicts the books . . . this series is providing new lore, new stories, new ideas . . . .

and it isnt getting in the way of the books, and it may sound weird but the reason I care so much about details such as the "Jeddara" thing is because the series deserves to get small details right, and I only really care when details really are fixable . . . just switching one word with its proper word before printing it in the Trade Paperback . . .

can save a lot of ERB fans like me from having an aching heart XD

Dynamite has been pretty good with continuity . . . . . but they can get better! I would go through the comic-scripts for free and fix any continuity errors if they let me! but that isnt going to happen any time soon I think . . .

But the comics they are making for Barsoom . . . are good enough, that they deserve good continuity . . . .if that makes sense

Comment

• Was "Jeddara" in the PD books, or only invented by ERB in one of the later books?

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                          Was "Jeddara" in the PD books, or only invented by ERB in one of the later books?
                          checking . . .

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AS A MATTER OF FACT IT WAS! It was first used in "The Chessmen of Mars" which is without a doubt public domain!

Comment

• Don't forget, some of the additional material (such as glossaries and other addenda at the backs of the books) was added later after the original publication, so it's only PD if it's in the body of the novel itself. Then again, in some cases there are revisions performed by Burroughs later on the original text itself, so it's only PD if the original publication date (magazine or book version) falls within the expiration of copyright as defined by US copyright law. Some people are even surprised to discover differences between the original magazine text and the later book publication text. The most famous example would be Burroughs including tigers (not native to Africa) in the original magazine version of Tarzan of the Apes (Burroughs changed these to lions for the book publication, after the error was pointed out to him).

Just saying, sometimes it might not be as clear-cut as it would at first appear.

Comment

Don't forget, some of the additional material (such as glossaries and other addenda at the backs of the books) was added later after the original publication, so it's only PD if it's in the body of the novel itself. Then again, in some cases there are revisions performed by Burroughs later on the original text itself, so it's only PD if the original publication date (magazine or book version) falls within the expiration of copyright as defined by US copyright law. Some people are even surprised to discover differences between the original magazine text and the later book publication text. The most famous example would be Burroughs including tigers (not native to Africa) in the original magazine version of Tarzan of the Apes (Burroughs changed these to lions for the book publication, after the error was pointed out to him).

Just saying, sometimes it might not be as clear-cut as it would at first appear.
                              Yeah the term jeddara in the actual novel itself, chapter 20, and thanks for the information

Comment

The most famous example would be Burroughs including tigers (not native to Africa) in the original magazine version of Tarzan of the Apes (Burroughs changed these to lions for the book publication, after the error was pointed out to him).
                                Aha! So the one with tigers must take place on Earth-Two...

Comment

Working...
                                X