Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kato, I have been reading and enjoying this title. The last issue was really enjoyable. I realize that Tarzan has not returned to the jungle, but I like the way he is using his jungle sense in some new adventures. I can see how the current line is setting us up for a return to the jungle.

Lord was not one of my favorite titles. I initially only picked it up because of the $1 issue 0, but it hasnt disappointed me. Also, the change of artists has been pretty seamless. No huge dropoff in quality (and I am really picky when it comes to art).

Comment

• I was "iffy" on it at first, too. But it's proven to be quite a nice take on the character.

My favorite TARZAN comics are still the Malibu series from the 90's. LOVE, LIES, AND THE LOST CITY etc.

Comment

• The series is pretty much following the time line and plot of the first 2 books. I'm enjoying it. I had to drop a few books due to money problems and it's one of the ones I kept.
        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• I'm having to look ahead to collected trades but am eagerly looking forward to them.

Comment

• Thoroughly enjoying this book and have been from the beginning. I think it's one of the best comics adaptations of Tarzan I've seen so far.

Comment

• Well, it's not my favorite Tarzan adaptation by a long shot (those would be the Gold Key/Russ Manning and DC/Joe Kubert versions), but it's still readable. I still wince every time I read the read Tarzan's "grunt and groan" ape-language, though. Apparently, since the official "Ape-English Dictionary" wasn't included until later editions of Tarzan of the Apes, it's still considered under copyright. I had never really thought too much about it prior to this, but I realize now that the Mangani language was a big part of what made previous Tarzan comics enjoyable to me. The "grunt and groan" approach may be technically more realistic, but realism isn't really a factor to me in Tarzan comics.

Other than that, this is another of those DE titles that I don't find myself having a lot to say about.

I do wish there were more "jungle adventure" comics out there. Thun'da is a great character on a conceptual level, but execution-wise, DE's current version leaves something to be desired. I'd love to see Frank Cho's Jungle Girl make a comeback, or even another Ka-Zar or Shanna the She-Devil series over at Marvel. It would be nice if DE got the rights to do the original jungle queen, Sheena, since no other company seems to be doing anything with her. I think the key to making any of these things successful is to find an artist-writer team that really loves the genre, because otherwise these characters just seem to be generic.
              Last edited by positronic; 12-05-2012, 02:35 AM.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Never gave a damn about tarzan until I read this book, same goes for almost all of dynamites characters. It's like they've existed before but it was dynamite that made me stand up and take notice. This book is fun, I love Tarzan in the wild killing crocs and navigating around, especially when they are all back this cabin and he was helping people out before he got caught up with Jane. Speaking of Jane......what a hottie!

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                  I also don't care for the idea that Mars' (and Earth's) future leads to this nasty dystopia. I'd prefer an unwritten future to a nasty one.
                  then you are going to have to blame burroughs for that, read "the moon maid" for perspective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralok View Post
                    then you are going to have to blame burroughs for that, read "the moon maid" for perspective.
                    Different dystopia, though. Warriors of Mars is DE's own original conception that has nothing to do with Burroughs' alternate future. In Burroughs' Moon trilogy, there is a war that lasts from 1917 to 1967, ending in total unilateral disarmament. By 2025, contact has been established with Barsoom, and knowledge of the Barsoomian 8th ray allows Earth to build its first space ship, "The Barsoom". It isn't destined to reach Mars, however. Forced down on the Moon, the crew of "The Barsoom" discovers the Moon has an interior world (like Pellucidar), the native Moon Men race of warlike Kalkars become aware of Earth, and in short order (by 2050) the Kalkars invade and conquer the now-disarmed Earth, where they hold sway for nearly 400 years, having forced humanity back into a pre-technological tribal state. A revolution is begun against the Kalkars around 2120 that will take over 300 years to complete. Up until the final victory of humanity in 2430, humans commonly believe the Earth to be flat.
                    Last edited by positronic; 12-07-2012, 04:05 AM.
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                      Different dystopia, though. Warriors of Mars is DE's own original conception that has nothing to do with Burroughs' alternate future. In Burroughs' Moon trilogy, there is a war that lasts from 1917 to 1967, ending in total unilateral disarmament. By 2025, contact has been established with Barsoom, and knowledge of the Barsoomian 8th ray allows Earth to build its first space ship, "The Barsoom". It isn't destined to reach Mars, however. Forced down on the Moon, the crew of "The Barsoom" discovers the Moon has an interior world (like Pellucidar), the native Moon Men race of warlike Kalkars become aware of Earth, and in short order (by 2050) the Kalkars invade and conquer the now-disarmed Earth, where they hold sway for nearly 400 years, having forced humanity back into a pre-technological tribal state. A revolution is begun against the Kalkars around 2120 that will take over 300 years to complete. Up until the final victory of humanity in 2430, humans commonly believe the Earth to be flat.
                      this takes place long after the year 2430 and humanity has recovered . . . at least thati s what I thought :/

that is why they go that whole lost era idea isnt it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralok View Post
                        this takes place long after the year 2430 and humanity has recovered . . . at least thati s what I thought :/

that is why they go that whole lost era idea isnt it?
                        Well, it's "1000 years after the time of John Carter", so I guess that puts it about 500 years after humans throw off the yoke of Kalkar oppression on Earth. Still, I didn't see any veiled references to ERB's Moon trilogy, so it's doubtful the writer had that in mind or was taking it into account. No real reason is given for Earth declaring war on Barsoom. Nothing about the story made a lot of sense, although as I stated, it seemed like a typical opening chapter of a much longer (4-5 issue) story arc. Presumably the answers to these mysteries might have been forthcoming had the title not been unceremoniously cancelled.

I liked the cover a lot, though. It made the story look like something completely different -- an old movie serial.

Comment

• Come to think of it, the Moon Maid/Moon Men/Red Hawk trilogy is public domain, so a much better story might be constructed, something in the vein of "Warlord of Mars vs. the Moon Men". A while back, Dark Horse did a Tarzan vs. the Moon Men story that was actually pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                            Come to think of it, the Moon Maid/Moon Men/Red Hawk trilogy is public domain, so a much better story might be constructed, something in the vein of "Warlord of Mars vs. the Moon Men". A while back, Dark Horse did a Tarzan vs. the Moon Men story that was actually pretty good.
                            damned good, it also included some some great references to barsoom . . . including the appearance of a white ape.

I am not a fan of the latter two books in the moon trilogy, they certainly could undergo significant renovations to the story to make them a lot better

Comment

• Anyone know when DEJAH THORIS & GREEN MEN OF MARS is set?

Just wondering... is it during the other Dejah Thoris series (~1400s AD), during the current Warlord of Mars era (~1800s AD), or some other time?

Comment

• well according to the plot synopsis

http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Dejah-Th...-Of-4___418715

this takes place after the peace between Thark and Helium is established, so at the very least it takes place after "a princess of mars".

I am under the impression that if the title is "Dejah Thors and (blank)" that it takes place in the ten years between princess and gods where john carter was stranded on earth."

but . . . I suppose it could take place during the ten years before teh atmosphere factory was destroyed, it all depends on if carthoris, or john carter is in it.
                                Last edited by Ralok; 12-15-2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X