Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralok View Post
    But this is neither the time or place for this, this is a classic literary character they are dealing iwth, not some 5 cent hooker for them to rape and torture.
    To me, that's by far the most offensive thing in this topic, a lot more so than the comic pages you're taking issue with. I'll take the rights of a hooker over a "classic literary character". Not trying to escalate, I know this is a hot button topic, I just found your analogy to be very very wrong. Think about what you said.

To you a character being harmed in a sexual way in fiction is off limits and says things like "this happens", where as the usual violence is under zero scrutiny. To me it's art/entertainment, and they can mess with any topic. But more importantly, sex workers are real people who deserve respect.
    Last edited by Psionic_Lemmy; 02-05-2013, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psionic_Lemmy View Post
      To me, that's by far the most offensive thing in this topic, a lot more so than the comic pages you're taking issue with. I'll take the rights of a hooker over a "classic literary character". Not trying to escalate, I know this is a hot button topic, I just found your analogy to be very very wrong. Think about what you said.

To you a character being harmed in a sexual way in fiction is off limits and says things like "this happens", where as the usual violence is under zero scrutiny. To me it's art/entertainment, and they can mess with any topic. But more importantly, sex workers are real people who deserve respect.
      hmmmmmm . . . I think you misunderstood my intent with what I said.

In the main Dejah Thoris series recently a bunch of prositture characters were tortured and killed, they were less important to the story than Dejah Thoris . . . I didnt mean to imply I was talking about real prostitutes, I honest to god meant fictional prostitutes . . . . If they created a character for this context, and this story . . . I would be okay with it . . . I ust dont feel this works for Dejah Thoris . . .

Heck they could even use a different character like Thuvia . . . help explain some of the issues she has in later books

I honestly didnt mean to that a fictional character being raped, was worse than a real human being being raped . . . I am very . . . very . . . very sorry that my comment indicated that, I should have chosen my words better :/ I only meant ot invoke a similar situation in another book that dynamite was publishing . . .

while it make me uncomfortable in that book, it was not without purpose to the story and was used well . . .

I guess . . . I am sorry . . . I really really really didnt mean to imply that the rights of a fictional character were more important than the rights of an actual human being.

Comment

• Group hug! Group hug!!

Comment

• Agreed, lets hug it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
            Group hug! Group hug!!
            thank you I needed that > _ >

the sheer horror of the implications of what I wrote has me a little bothered :\

i really really really didnt mean it that way but the fact that it has been interpreted that way shows the damage has been done

Comment

• I pick it up.
              The covers are amazing.

Comment

• Good News!

Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
                Hi Guys,

Chiming in. Sorry for the delay. The next issue will be February, and we hope to catch up a little at a time. We are going to skip a month or two to catch up to solicits.

It's a great book, and glad you guys are posting. It is encouraging to see fans asking and wanting more!

Nick
                Kaor! Thanks for the update. I was having withdrawal symptoms. I love what your doing with all your Barsoom series!

Spartan

Comment

• I am reading it. However I only pick up Dynamite titles in trade form to save money.

The only ones I bought/buy as single issues are Project: Superpowers & Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt.

BTW - I love Lord of the Jungle. Great adaption of the novels by ERB.

Comment

• 2012 was the 100th Anniversary of Tarzan, so I kind of got a little distracted from Lord of the Jungle when the floodgates opened and a torrent of great Tarzan product was (or is about to be) released.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51feGYyZQKL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	48742Click image for larger version

Name:	51s4n-JUUcL.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	48743Click image for larger version

Name:	21707.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	48748Click image for larger version

Name:	21264.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	48744Click image for larger version

Name:	18047.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	48745
                    Last edited by positronic; 02-17-2013, 01:02 AM.
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• With still more to come, I'm living in Tarzan heaven.

Name:	22478.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	48747Click image for larger version

Name:	22411.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	48746Click image for larger version

Name:	22520.jpg
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	48749Click image for larger version

Name:	Tarzan-CompleteNewsPaperStrips.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	48750
                      Last edited by positronic; 02-17-2013, 01:11 AM.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• I have the Centennial Celebration. Great book.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post
                          I have the Centennial Celebration. Great book.
                          No question about it, if you only own ONE book about Tarzan, that is the one to own. Despite a number of niggling textual errors, it is a visual feast beyond compare, and a good summary of the visual history of depicting Tarzan in print.

But I'm tremendously excited about the other stuff as well, especially the Russ Manning material, which I've been waiting for decades to see in quality hardcover collections. And since I missed the NBM collections of a couple of decades back, I'm very gratified to see the Sunday strip being reprinted from the beginning, starting with the Hal Foster strips.

Comment

• I have the Centennial Celebration as well. It is a wonderful book.

I am waiting for Kubert's TARZAN work for DC to be collected... Between Tarzan's 100th year and Kubert's recent passing, it seems like a no-brainer...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris-KL99 View Post
                              I have the Centennial Celebration as well. It is a wonderful book.

I am waiting for Kubert's TARZAN work for DC to be collected... Between Tarzan's 100th year and Kubert's recent passing, it seems like a no-brainer...
                              OMG, I can't believe you missed them! Released by Dark Horse in 2005-2006 and now OUT OF PRINT....

Name:	10922.jpg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	48751Click image for larger version

Name:	10977.jpg
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	48752Click image for larger version

Name:	10978.jpg
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	48753

Still findable on Amazon or eBay, if getting a little pricey, but considering that Marvel Masterworks are now starting to be priced at $70-75, maybe not so bad after all...

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
                                OMG, I can't believe you missed them! Released by Dark Horse in 2005-2006 and now OUT OF PRINT....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]626[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]627[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]628[/ATTACH]

Still findable on Amazon or eBay, if getting a little pricey, but considering that Marvel Masterworks are now starting to be priced at $70-75, maybe not so bad after all...

I can't believe I missed those, either. Yeesh. I'm in the LCS every Wednesday, bright and early. You'd think I would have seen them.

Oh well, gives me something to hunt down. Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

Comment

Working...
                                X