Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kloot View Post
    Great issue, but some of the Dejah Thoris art is becoming improbable (look at some of the waist shots). I don't want to see this book go down that route.
    I think the artwork is OK but it is sometimes a bit cartoony, I wish the artwork was more realistic and if possibly painted. I like Jusko, Ariel Olivetti, Essad Ribbic, Cary Nord, Dale Eaglesham, Richard Corben.

Comment

• Cast John Carter & Dejah Thoris

This is pure visual, is not a movie so no acting ability necessary. If you would be painting the covers who would you use as models for John Carter & Dejah Thoris. I would use bodybuilder Joseph Sergo for John Carter and actress Kristin Kreuk's face with a more voluptuous body for Dejah Thoris.

Last edited by JohnCarter; 05-25-2011, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• Zuleikha Robinson for Dejah Thoris.

Comment

• Ah, well...from Phil Hester:

Doing Hornet 16-19 with co-writer Ande Parks, then moving to Bionic full time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chiclo View Post
            Zuleikha Robinson for Dejah Thoris.
            Pictures please...

Comment

• Dejah Thoris #3

Just got this in the mail the other day, didn't have a chance to read it yet because I'm re-reading #1 and #2, but I just wanted to say that the Arthur Adams cover is just downright sexy and a fantastic depiction of her. I still prefer the J. Scott Campbell covers, but Artur Adams isn't far off in my opinion, holy smokes is it hott.

Too bad the interior art isn't the same, it's good but not great and leaves a little to be desired, but the store more than makes up for it and has been a fun read so far.
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Warlord of Mars 1 & 2

So, I just re-read issues 1 & 2 and I forgot how cool the story was where Tars was opposed by Tarkas and ended up having to fight him in front of their superior to see who got named vice-chieftain, that was just so cool. The story of how Carter left the world and ended up on Mars was cool too but a little cheesy, it's comic books though so I've learned not to really complain too much when it comes to stuff like that, lol. Still, great start to the series and I plan to re-read issues 3-current as well at some point today, then I'll re-read the Dejah Thoris stuff as well, should be a fun day of comic book reading.
                Dynamite Entertainment
                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

• Comments on Dejah Thoris Storyline

Here are my comments thus far on this book:

I love the fact that there are now two Barsoom books. I do, however, think it's important to maintain the story in the spirit of the original novels, otherwise the comics are the same stories we read in other comics, but with different locations and artwork. In that light, here are my observations:

1. Almost never did any man in the Burroughs Barsoom novels "drop their weapons". The hallmark of every male Barsoomian was that no matter what the odds or cost, he always fought. No cowards on Barsoom, and no sense by our standards, either. Although, there may have been one instance which Burroughs used to illustrate the extreme cowardice of that character, but that was it.

2. Scared, fat red Martians? There may have been a couple, but almost as rare as the "dropping weapons" Martian.

3. Killing of captives. The actual killing of unarmed men was extremely disgraceful. A character would not tell another character to "kill them all" and "kill their families". At best, they would be thrown into the pits to slowly go mad, or be eaten by ulsios or whatever else was down there. That's why everyone in the Barsoom novels was "sent to the pits" all the time...because outright killing helpless men was forbidden. The other option would have been to hire someone from the assassin's guild to kill them. These were the rules, and even the Jeddaks followed them. Those jeddaks who didn't were summarily removed by the nobility.

4. Dejah Thoris fighting. It's true that John Carter remarked that women sometimes picked up a blade to fight alongside the men...again very rarely, and only women of Dejah Thoris' character. But, remember that a man killing a woman was FORBIDDEN. Dejah Thoris would have accomplished more using brains than brawn, as well as her excellent speaking skills. She would never have used her beauty overtly, but definitely would have counted it an asset.

5. Why does Tardos Mors have gray hair? Martians were supposed to be somewhat ageless until near 1,000 yrs old. Most died in battle long before that.

6. Is Dejah Thoris the only female in that city? I expect she would mostly interact with females.
                  Last edited by transversal; 05-22-2011, 03:24 PM. Reason: Forgot one

Comment

• Travel to Mars

It's interesting to note that Burroughs' description of John Carter's first trip to Mars is identical to many descriptions of "out of body experiences" given decades later. I wonder if Burroughs knew someone who had this experience?

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnCarter View Post
                      This is pure visual, is not a movie so no acting ability necessary. If you would be painting the covers who would you use as models for John Carter & Dejah Thoris. I would use bodybuilder Joseph Sergo for John Carter and actress Kristin Kreuk's face with a more voluptuous body for Dejah Thoris.

Good call, but JC wasn't a beefy guy.

Comment

• Simon Bisley

Comment

• Cary Nord

Comment

• Originally posted by transversal View Post
                            Good call, but JC wasn't a beefy guy.
                            Most great fantasy artists tend to draw the heroes superbuff, take a look at Simon Bisley, Ariel Olivetti, Cary Nord, Richard Corben, even our own Joe Jusko. But above all personal taste. I practice weight lifting and I'm a bodybuilder enthusiast so that has to contribute too. By the way on that pic that guy Sergo is not on his bodybuilder competition weight which is bigger, on those photos he is leaner since he is on a fitness model training and diet.
                            Last edited by JohnCarter; 05-25-2011, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• Your first John Carter

Mine was the Marvel Comics series. I collected the entire series. Then I started to read the novels. Read " A princess of Mars" and then started with "The Gods of Mars" which I never finished. I was in college then and lost interest to the fantasy genre. Now I've started with the Dynamite comics and just bought A Princess of Mars and I'm re-reading it. I might try to follow with The Gods of Mars and the rest of the novels from the series.

Comment

• First John Carter

I started out reading Burroughs' Pellucidar series and read the Barsoom books after that. I bought the Marvel comics because I liked the Gil Kane art, even though they were wearing too many clothes. Just gave those away a few years ago. Now, I like the way the Dynamite story follows the book (which the Marvel comics didn't do), and I can't wait for the story to get to "Gods of Mars" and "Warlord of Mars".

Comment

Working...
                                X