Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    The similarities (let's be nice and call it 'homage') of Ka-Zar to Tarzan, and The Savage Land to Pellucidar (and to The Land That Time Forgot) could certainly not have been lost on Roy Thomas when he was writing X-MEN. Would adding a Mahar-esque Sauron to the mix really be that much of a stretch?
    Oh, not at all. Interestingly, Ka-Zar dates back to the Golden Age, but was more or less just an ordinary Tarzan "jungle man" with no dinosaurs--only the Savage Land (and Zabu!) came in the Silver Age.

    Oh, I did not realize this part--the Golden Age Ka-Zar was actually in some pulp magazines of the era before appearing in Timely comics...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka-Zar_%28comics%29

    http://marvel.wikia.com/David_Rand_%28Earth-616%29

    http://www.comicvine.com/ka-zar-king...w/4000-186034/

    Comment


    • Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
      Oh, not at all. Interestingly, Ka-Zar dates back to the Golden Age, but was more or less just an ordinary Tarzan "jungle man" with no dinosaurs--only the Savage Land (and Zabu!) came in the Silver Age.

      Oh, I did not realize this part--the Golden Age Ka-Zar was actually in some pulp magazines of the era before appearing in Timely comics...
      Yup. By my reckoning this makes (Golden Age) Ka-Zar the first Marvel hero, since he appeared in his own pulp BEFORE appearing in Marvel Comics #1. The Golden Age Ka-Zar isn't Kevin Plunder, however. He was raised by lions, but regular lions, not sabretooth cats, and in Africa, not the Savage Land. Golden Age Ka-Zar was more of a generic Tarzan clone (with the substitution of lions for Mangani), while Silver Age Ka-Zar is more of a Tarzan At the Earth's Core homage.

      Comment


      • The Art of Dejah Thoris and the Worlds of Mars HC

        This is pretty neat...

        Click image for larger version

Name:	ArtOfDejahThoris.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	48794
        THE ART OF DEJAH THORIS AND THE WORLDS OF MARS HC - Coming in December!
        (Writer) Bob Greenberger
        (Art) Alex Ross, J. Scott Campbell, Art Adams, Paul Renaud, Lucio Parrillo, Francesco Francavilla, Various (Cover) Joe Jusko

        Since the first serialized adventures in 1912 of the Martian Princess Dejah Thoris and her beloved hero, John Carter, science fiction and fantasy enthusiasts have dreamed of the faraway Red Planet, its wondrous sights and monstrous perils. Fans and fine art lovers need dream no longer! In hundreds of full-color illustrations, the finest artists of modern fantasy have brought the dying world of Mars to life, depicting scenes of brutal conflict with alien beasts, quiet moments overlooking Martian wastes, and enticing visions of an exotic princess at her most intimate. This magnificent hardcover collection features the talents of Alex Ross, J. Scott Campbell, Joe Jusko, Art Adams, Paul Renaud, Lucio Parillo, Francesco Francavilla, and many more!

        COLLECTING ALL OF THE COVERS FROM:
        Warlord of Mars #1-30
        Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris #1-30
        Warlord of Mars: Fall of Barsoom
        Warriors of Mars
        Dejah Thoris and the White Apes of Mars
        Dejah Thoris and the Green Men of Mars #1-10

        Hardcover, Full Color, 320 pages, $39.99, On sale December 18

        THE ART OF DEJAH THORIS AND THE WORLDS OF MARS is solicited in the October PREVIEWS (Available September 25).
        The Diamond Item Code is OCT131107.

        Comment


        • The Art of Dejah Thoris and the Worlds of Mars HC

          This is pretty neat...

          Click image for larger version

Name:	ArtOfDejahThoris.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	48794
          THE ART OF DEJAH THORIS AND THE WORLDS OF MARS HC - Coming in December!
          (Writer) Bob Greenberger
          (Art) Alex Ross, J. Scott Campbell, Art Adams, Paul Renaud, Lucio Parrillo, Francesco Francavilla, Various (Cover) Joe Jusko

          Since the first serialized adventures in 1912 of the Martian Princess Dejah Thoris and her beloved hero, John Carter, science fiction and fantasy enthusiasts have dreamed of the faraway Red Planet, its wondrous sights and monstrous perils. Fans and fine art lovers need dream no longer! In hundreds of full-color illustrations, the finest artists of modern fantasy have brought the dying world of Mars to life, depicting scenes of brutal conflict with alien beasts, quiet moments overlooking Martian wastes, and enticing visions of an exotic princess at her most intimate. This magnificent hardcover collection features the talents of Alex Ross, J. Scott Campbell, Joe Jusko, Art Adams, Paul Renaud, Lucio Parillo, Francesco Francavilla, and many more!

          COLLECTING ALL OF THE COVERS FROM:
          Warlord of Mars #1-30
          Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris #1-30
          Warlord of Mars: Fall of Barsoom
          Warriors of Mars
          Dejah Thoris and the White Apes of Mars
          Dejah Thoris and the Green Men of Mars #1-10

          Hardcover, Full Color, 320 pages, $39.99, On sale December 18

          THE ART OF DEJAH THORIS AND THE WORLDS OF MARS is solicited in the October PREVIEWS (Available September 25).
          The Diamond Item Code is OCT131107.

          It's interesting that Dejah Thoris and not John Carter has become the real star at Dynamite (not that I'm complaining mind you, just an observation). It also makes me wonder if Dynamite had gotten the Conan license if it would have done half as well for them as Red Sonja has. Of course that doesn't explain how The Bionic Woman got cancelled, while The Bionic Man is still going. If I had to guess I'd say it's because Jamie Sommers wore too many clothes...

          Comment


          • can I pre-order this anywhere yet?

            and yeah it is pretty neat, and it is certainly one step closer to the lore-guide that I have been hoping and begging for like a small child.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Ralok View Post
              can I pre-order this anywhere yet?
              Take the Diamond item number OCT131107 to your LCS, he can order a copy for you. Alternatively you can pre-order it on Amazon.

              Originally posted by Ralok View Post
              and yeah it is pretty neat, and it is certainly one step closer to the lore-guide that I have been hoping and begging for like a small child.
              That book was actually written by John Flint Roy and first published back in 1976. Of course it contains only the information from the ERB novels, not the comics.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	A-Guide-To-Barsoom.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	48795

              It's still in print in a current edition, too.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	51DcVTy3zJL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	48796
              Last edited by pulphero; 09-21-2013, 04:09 AM.

              Comment


              • It's interesting that Dejah Thoris, and not John Carter, has become the real star at Dynamite (not that I'm complaining mind you, just an observation). It also makes me wonder if Dynamite had gotten the Conan license if it would have done half as well for them as Red Sonja has. Of course that doesn't explain how The Bionic Woman got cancelled, while The Bionic Man is still going. If I had to guess I'd say it's because Jamie Sommers wore too many clothes...

                Comment


                • Then why no more Jungle Girl?
                  Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                  Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                  http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

                  Comment


                  • yeah I know, I got me a few copies of that book... I wanna new one though D:

                    something with flashy illustrations and some non-burroughs information. That book is justa composite of Burroughs vision and doesnt expand upon the universe in any way, I got all the infromation that book had to give just by reading the book series.

                    I NEED MORE D: I want to know the in-depth histories of each nation, the full range of physical differences between races, the name of every inconsequential animal drawn for the comics... I need to know it ALL!!!! BECAUSE I AM A NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                      Then why no more Jungle Girl?
                      Maybe Frank Cho's cut of the profits was too big to continue it, based on sales? That doesn't explain why Pantha was cancelled, though. I'm pretty sure it was because it just wasn't that good. I miss Frank Cho's Jungle Girl, though. Maybe Dynamite should get the license for Sheena, Queen of the Jungle. At least that character has a bit more name recognition than Jungle Girl.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Ralok View Post
                        yeah I know, I got me a few copies of that book... I wanna new one though D:

                        something with flashy illustrations and some non-burroughs information. That book is justa composite of Burroughs vision and doesnt expand upon the universe in any way, I got all the infromation that book had to give just by reading the book series.

                        I NEED MORE D: I want to know the in-depth histories of each nation, the full range of physical differences between races, the name of every inconsequential animal drawn for the comics... I need to know it ALL!!!! BECAUSE I AM A NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!!!
                        I suppose they could get the writers of Warlord of Mars and Dejah Thoris together and do a Marvel Universe Handbook-style comic based on just the DE comic books, even though Dynamite hasn't done anything like that yet. Don't forget that DE can't use any material from any of the non-public domain later novels.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                          I suppose they could get the writers of Warlord of Mars and Dejah Thoris together and do a Marvel Universe Handbook-style comic based on just the DE comic books, even though Dynamite hasn't done anything like that yet. Don't forget that DE can't use any material from any of the non-public domain later novels.
                          yeah but there is plenty of stuff between their comics and the first five to create an awesome guide to the universe. I would have made it more like dragon ages "world of thedas" but I will take whatever I can get D:

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                            It's interesting that Dejah Thoris, and not John Carter, has become the real star at Dynamite (not that I'm complaining mind you, just an observation).
                            Whereas for me the covers I want most are the John-Carter-centric ones...

                            As a side note, do the tpbs collect all of the alternate covers for the issues they have? That might make it easier for me rather than tracking down specific covers for back issues I need.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Ralok View Post
                              yeah but there is plenty of stuff between their comics and the first five to create an awesome guide to the universe.
                              Now that I think about it, the unauthorized nature of DE's WoM comics kind of makes them into a parallel universe, sort of a "Barsoom-2"

                              I suppose they could tread carefully, and not do anything that would violate later 'upcoming' events in the copyrighted novels (in the optimistic hope that they'll either keep publishing WoM comics long enough for further novels to fall into public domain, or that they can come to some agreement with ERB Inc.)

                              OR they could just go off on their own tangent and introduce all sorts of new creatures, races, and concepts, kind of like how Marvel's Killraven/War of the Worlds series was an 'alternate universe' to Wells' novel that took the basic idea far beyond Wells. In some ways the latter seems more interesting, since there's no one to stop them. Warriors of Mars already pretty much fits into that category, and The Fall of Barsoom is kind of close as well.
                              Last edited by pulphero; 09-22-2013, 12:39 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                                Now that I think about it, the unauthorized nature of DE's WoM comics kind of makes them into a parallel universe, sort of a "Barsoom-2"

                                I suppose they could tread carefully, and not do anything that would violate later 'upcoming' events in the copyrighted novels (in the optimistic hope that they'll either keep publishing WoM comics long enough for further novels to fall into public domain, or that they can come to some agreement with ERB Inc.)

                                OR they could just go off on their own tangent and introduce all sorts of new creatures, races, and concepts, kind of like how Marvel's Killraven/War of the Worlds series was an 'alternate universe' to Wells' novel that took the basic idea far beyond Wells. In some ways the latter seems more interesting, since there's no one to stop them. Warriors of Mars already pretty much fits into that category, and The Fall of Barsoom is kind of close as well.
                                Most of the races from the books were introduced in the first five novels, as was... well pretty much every single creature. AS well the books dynamite has made have been farely close to barsoomian canon. I have been writing a forum thread here naming all the new critters Dynamite has produced and filling in holes in their history XD

                                just out of pure boredom.

                                I wonder how dynamite would handle the concept of "blue martians" mars gots all the other colors, I bet dynamite could think of something awesome for the concept.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X