Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
    I'm still just as pleased to not add WotW to the same universe as John Carter, though.
    I could have lived without having Gullivar Jones incorporated into ERB's universe. That book is fundamentally (except for the inspirational component) incompatible with ERB's Barsoom. Except for his brief moment in the spotlight starring in Marvel's CREATURES ON THE LOOSE in the 1970s, the character was never more than a footnote in science fiction history. If not for Burroughs, the novel would be long forgotten. That's something you'll never be able to say about THE WAR OF THE WORLDS. It's interesting that Jones, Carter, and Ulysses Paxton (and if not for a miscalculation on his part, Carson Napier) turn out to be merely the advance forerunners of hundreds of visitors to Barsoom from Jasoom.

Since we never really get an omniscient viewpoint in Wells' novel, everything happening at a distance from earth is from the purely speculative POV of a few 19th century astronomers. A few "gas eruptions" on the surface of Mars is all the evidence we get of Wells' invaders' origin. (I suppose if such actual astronomers as Schiapparelli and Lowell could confabulate canals on the Martian surface, then the fictional Ogilvy could confabulate gas eruptions.) The fact that they are dubbed "Martians" by the inhabitants of earth proves nothing about the creatures themselves or the nature of the planet they are assumed to inhabit, so what appears to be an incompatible view of Martian exobiology when compared to ERB's Barsoom, actually isn't. We never see a scene taking place on Mars, nor does any communication with the invaders themselves take place, so we never get their side of the story. Which leaves the biggest problem to explain when adding them to ERB's universe as, why "Burroughs" never asked John Carter about them, if they had invaded the earth mere decades before. An alien race of hypercephelic tentacled bloodsuckers who create different machine "bodies" for themselves according to need, is certainly no weirder in Burroughsian terms than the Skeleton Men of Jupiter.
    Last edited by pulphero; 11-05-2013, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• G'day,

My fantasy Mars team up would be for President Theodore Roosevelt have the Jules Verne cannon brought back into operation and attack Mars with biological weapons . The astronauts would find themselves in Burroughs Mars.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      I could have lived without having Gullivar Jones incorporated into ERB's universe. That book is fundamentally (except for the inspirational component) incompatible with ERB's Barsoom. Except for his brief moment in the spotlight starring in Marvel's CREATURES ON THE LOOSE in the 1970s, the character was never more than a footnote in science fiction history. If not for Burroughs, the novel would be long forgotten. That's something you'll never be able to say about THE WAR OF THE WORLDS. It's interesting that Jones, Carter, and Ulysses Paxton (and if not for a miscalculation on his part, Carson Napier) turn out to be merely the advance forerunners of hundreds of visitors to Barsoom from Jasoom.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post

Since we never really get an omniscient viewpoint in Wells' novel, everything happening at a distance from earth is from the purely speculative POV of a few 19th century astronomers. A few "gas eruptions" on the surface of Mars is all the evidence we get of Wells' invaders' origin. (I suppose if such actual astronomers as Schiapparelli and Lowell could confabulate canals on the Martian surface, then the fictional Ogilvy could confabulate gas eruptions.) The fact that they are dubbed "Martians" by the inhabitants of earth proves nothing about the creatures themselves or the nature of the planet they are assumed to inhabit, so what appears to be an incompatible view of Martian exobiology when compared to ERB's Barsoom, actually isn't. We never see a scene taking place on Mars, nor does any communication with the invaders themselves take place, so we never get their side of the story. Which leaves the biggest problem to explain when adding them to ERB's universe as, why "Burroughs" never asked John Carter about them, if they had invaded the earth mere decades before. An alien race of hypercephelic tentacled bloodsuckers who create different machine "bodies" for themselves according to need, is certainly no weirder in Burroughsian terms than the Skeleton Men of Jupiter.

John Carter did go to war with the Martians of Wells. In one of my favorite anthologies, WAR OF THE WORLDS: GLOBAL DISPATCHES (edited by Kevin J. Anderson published by Bantam Spectra, ISBN 0-553-10353-9, 1996, 288pp, US$22.95). The anthology was Well's War of the Worlds but were dispatches told from different parts of the world. One dispatch was from Mark Twain, one from Albert Einstein, and (my obvious favorite) from Edgar Rice Burroughs. ERB talked to his "Uncle" Jack as the story of how John Carter took war to the Martians while they were invading earth in War of the Worlds (an inter-galactic flanking maneuver?). The short story was written by George Alec Effinger. Perhaps DE can do a special on that story?

Comment

I think that Dynamite handled Gullivar on Barsoom as well as was humanly possible, essentially replacing the mars that he visited in his book with the mars of Edgar Rice Burroughs, taking creative liberties such as making the thithers ape-like in the barsoomian sense of an ape to make it fit a little bit better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
            John Carter did go to war with the Martians of Wells. In one of my favorite anthologies, WAR OF THE WORLDS: GLOBAL DISPATCHES (edited by Kevin J. Anderson published by Bantam Spectra, ISBN 0-553-10353-9, 1996, 288pp, US$22.95). The anthology was Well's War of the Worlds but were dispatches told from different parts of the world. One dispatch was from Mark Twain, one from Albert Einstein, and (my obvious favorite) from Edgar Rice Burroughs. ERB talked to his "Uncle" Jack as the story of how John Carter took war to the Martians while they were invading earth in War of the Worlds (an inter-galactic flanking maneuver?). The short story was written by George Alec Effinger. Perhaps DE can do a special on that story?
            There was also the "alternative martians" which is pretty much one of the worst things ever :|

Comment

• Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
              I have the book. DE's WoM series is unauthorized, so they can only adapt ERB's public domain stories. They'd have to pay Effinger to use his story (and DE doesn't sell enough copies of WoM to make it worthwhile for either party). Of course, Wells' War of the Worlds is also public domain, so they could do their own version of a crossover story.
              Last edited by pulphero; 11-06-2013, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I have the book. DE's WoM series is unauthorized, so they can only adapt ERB's public domain stories. They'd have to pay Effinger to use his story (and DE doesn't sell enough copies of WoM to make it worthwhile for either party). Of course, Wells' War of the Worlds is also public domain, so they could do their own version of a crossover story.
                hey I had a thought? Maybe they could do something similiar with War of the Worlds that they did with gullivar?

Instead of trying to explain these contradictory mars' as the same mars, why not just pt the HG wells martians on Barsoom and show how they would work with that world, as opposed to the mmars of their native mythology?

There are a few ways they could do it too I guess... the way I see it HG well's martians would have gone extinct a long time ago on Barsoom, maybe it could be a historical thing about how the barsoomians overthrew those kind of martians... and the kaldanes could be the degenerate descendants.
                Maybe they were a spaient creature that lived in the depths of barsooms oceans and had to adapt to a different environment as the world changed?

Another idea isthat ythey could be from the deep pre-history of barsoom and ruled the world then, and the modern martians ressurect them as an act of kindness and it goes horribly wrong? There are a lot of possibilities, but I think it would be best to ask "what if the HG wells martians were on barsoom, instead of their mars"

Comment

• Tarzan 3D

So what do you ERB fans think about this new Tarzan movie?

Comment

• i don't care for the updated origin...but i'll give it a watch when it comes out.

Comment

• Seems to borrow visually from the 2D Disney version somewhat. The animation looks all right, though. Not too "cartoony". Regarding the re-origin story, I wouldn't be surprised to find out this is actually based on the UK young adult novels written by Andy Briggs (or at least borrows heavily from them). I haven't read these myself, but the description in reviews was enough to make me shy away. (Tarzan is described as an 'eco-warrior'.) Probably won't be rushing to the theater for this one unless reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Seems as though they've pretty well de-pulpified it, which is a shame. Meteorite strike story element is a possible rip off of Philip Jose Farmer's Wold-Newton family origin?

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                        Posted on the Deja #31 thread:

There is a bit of a typo there in the preview of Deja Thoris #31 (which I do hope gets fixed when printed)--it's not 1003 years later from Deja's ~1400s era--it's 1003 years from the Warlord of Mars/Warriors of Mars era, which is a few centuries after the Deja Thoris series is taking place, so it's ~1403 years later.

David
                        former copy editor/proofreader back in the day
                        This thread was brought to my attention, and unfortunately it is correct that the time caption should have read "1403 years" relative to the Dejah series.

This will be corrected in an eventual trade paperback.

Nevertheless, I hope you are enjoying a return to the dark future first introduced in Warrior of Mars. More to come in Issue #32.

Best,
                        Robert P. Napton

Comment

• Thank you!!

Glad to be of service

Comment

Meteorite strike story element is a possible rip off of Philip Jose Farmer's Wold-Newton family origin?
                            i had the same thought.

Comment

• Warlord of Mars... ending?

The following comments were made by Arvid Nelson in a recent interview with Jim Zub... (italicized emphasis mine)

JZ: This chapter is midway through the “Savages of Mars” story arc. How far ahead are you planning storylines for the series?

AN: Well, we’ve got one more story arc in the works, Tyrant of Mars, and then… all I can say is “hold on to your potatoes, Doctor Jones”. We’ve got a little event coming up that I think will surprise readers. In a good way.

JZ: What other projects, comic or otherwise, have you got on tap for 2014?

AN: I’m working on an online game right now, Travian. Which is awesome, it’s based in Germany so I get to go there sometimes. Tomorrow, for instance. I can’t wait for the new version of the game to hit the Web, Travian 5.

That and giving Warlord of Mars the closer it deserves are taking up all of my non-pizza-slash-video-games-slash-changing-diapers time. But when I have a little breathing room I have an idear for a comic book story I’d love to tell. Nicky?

The mention of "one more story arc" and "giving WoM the closer it deserves" leads me to believe the next WoM arc ("Tyrants of Mars") may be the end of the ongoing WoM series. What the "little event coming up" might be I haven't a clue, but based on past Dynamite "events", I smell some sort of crossover. Although we already have one of those with Lords of Mars, don't we? Perhaps something more elaborate, featuring more characters... or could it be that DE might actually be getting the authorization of ERB, Inc.? Let the speculation begin.

Comment

• My be its time they did the Pellucidar stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X