Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Ralph, Happy Holidays to you too and to all ERB fans everywhere.

Comment

• I think Steve Sadowski is fantastic! Jusko is fantastic also.

Perhaps we might have a companion book which is more "Art of John Carter"-centric? How Dejah-focused is this one?

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
        How Dejah-focused is this one?
        The book reprints ALL the cover art (plus all variant cover art) from DE's Warlord of Mars, Fall of Barsoom, Warriors of Mars, Dejah Thoris, Dejah Thoris and the White Apes, Dejah Thoris and the Green Men.

Since there are more Dejah Thoris (plus her mini series) variant covers, without doing an actual page count or anything, I'd say it's around 60-70% DJ, as opposed to the other series. It would be some time until there are enough new covers to fill another book.
        Last edited by pulphero; 12-27-2013, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralok View Post
          Most of the races from the books were introduced in the first five novels, as was... well pretty much every single creature. AS well the books dynamite has made have been farely close to barsoomian canon.
          I think I was thinking of ERB's (still copyrighted) "Skeleton Men of Jupiter", vs. say, DE's original "Vampire Men of Saturn" from the Dejah Thoris series. But you're right that most of the best additions to the Barsoom canon were in the original 5 books which are public domain.

Too bad about "Skeleton Men", though. I've always wanted to see someone write an ending to that story. It was published in the Ray Palmer-edited Amazing Stories in 1943, and the original plan was to follow up with sequel stories (4 novelettes would complete a story arc) that would later be collected as a novel, similar to Llana of Gathol, Savage Pellucidar, and Escape on Venus. Which, now that I think about it, I guess makes ERB the inventor of the mini-series. Alas, after WWII ERB's fiction output dwindled to nil. "The Wizard of Venus" was another novelette that was structured that way, as the beginning of an arc of 4; I'd also like to see that expanded to novel length.

I'm kind of fascinated by the whole late-30s to mid-40s period of ERB's career. While I think his writing was still good, his career was definitely in decline in this period, compared to his 'superstar' period of the 1920s, where he got top dollar (and usually top billing) in the best-selling general fiction pulps like All Story, Blue Book, and Argosy. Working for Ray Palmer could be considered as him having hit rock-bottom, since Amazing Stories and Fantastic Adventures had nothing like the circulation of the earlier general-fiction pulps (with a huge step down in payment rates). He still got top billing in the Palmer magazines, but that was because Palmer was a fan. Even among the rather insular world of the SF genre, Amazing and Fantastic weren't well-regarded by fans and critics. This was the era of John W. Campbell's Astounding SF, with writers like Asimov and Heinlein setting the new trends in SF.
          Last edited by pulphero; 12-27-2013, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• #6 was a nice wrap up to the the miniseries! Since it ended with Tarzan and Jane still on Barsoom, will we see another Lord of the Jungle but on Barsoom? Will it be called the Jungle Lord of Mars? Or just continue Lords of Mars? I always found the later science fiction style stories of Tarzan more interesting (Tarzan at Earth's Core, Tarzan the Terrible/Untamed, Tarzan and the Ant Men, etc). Since those are not in public domain, I guess DE just decided to move Tarzan to Barsoom?

Thanks to the movie, those Therns are becoming a great villainous threat in an intergalactic conspiracy type way.

Comment

• Reminds me of the Trendmasters toy line from the 1990s, that had Tarzan paired with characters from both Barsoom and Pellucidar. The only problem is he'll never be a 'Jungle Lord' on Barsoom, because... no jungles. He still has his (now enhanced) strength and skills, but he's out of his element, unable to communicate with apes species or travel through jungle canopy, and Barsoom offers savage beasts that make gorillas, lions, crocodiles, snakes, rhinos and water buffaloes look puny by comparison, so he'll need that lesser gravity edge. Losing his intimate knowledge of the environment puts Tarzan at a distinct disadvantage that more than offsets his new abilities to leap and lift heavy objects. I actually wouldn't want to see this become an ongoing series, as after a while, except for the differences in their personalities and styles, it makes Tarzan less unique as a character. Do we need TWO ongoing Earthman-on-Barsoom heroes? I think not.

The Therns are hardly an intergalactic threat, although they've now been revealed as an interplanetary one. Nice little dangling carrot, and I hope we get to see the follow-up to this mystery one way or another. Just what HAVE they been up to, and how long have they been traveling back and forth from Barsoom to Earth, and for what nefarious purpose, hmm? And presumably they have collaborators on Earth, who might those be? I think you give the movie too much and Dynamite too little credit, for making the Therns a formidable ongoing threat.

Comment

• Please give us a sequel, Dynamite! I wonder if this means that Dynamite's Tarzan diverges from the ERB book version at this point (and perhaps John Carter, too) and things could go in all sorts of directions? Indeed, might the Therns still be plotting on Earth in secret, even now, unbeknownst to us all?

Comment

• Does this mean Warlord of Mars is not coming to an end? I'm confused.

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/pr...=PR01161491224

Comment

• There's been no official announcement of WoM's cancellation. Various comments made by Arvid Nelson seem to hint at it, but it might be just a means of relaunching it with a new #1 or a slightly different title. The current WoM title has been solicited up through issue #35, which is supposed to ship in March. I suppose you could do a little math on that #100 and try to figure out what the 99 previous issues are, by adding up all the numbers of the various related spinoff titles. Maybe they're just going out with a bang? Who knows.
                    Last edited by pulphero; 01-21-2014, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• The animation doesn't look too bad (although I'm not a huge fan of CGI altogether), but I'm not sure how I feel about a modernization. Doesn't look all that promising, but it could prove me wrong.

Comment

• The artwork on this latest storyline has been amazing!!! Keep this artist on even if Warlord of Mars is a series of mini series!

Definitely looking forward to issue !00!!! A great achievement for this ERB fan of Barsoom stories!
                        Last edited by Blinky McQuade; 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• Or maybe they'll combine both ongoing series (WoM and Dejah Thoris) into one title and have two separate storylines, picking up the numbering with #101?

Comment

• As long as DE continues to publish ERB characters (either licensed or under the public domain rule), I will be buying! DE has been publishing the best Barsoom and Tarzan stuff in comics period!

Comment

• G'day,

I can't find any information on DE/ERB legal case since 2012. One of the reasons ERB inc gave for taking action was that the nudie artwork of Dejah Thoris effected their brand. Considering that DE was basically running with the way the characters have been drawn for decades that seemed dubious to me. However I'm not a lawyer, maybe we will see a new series with the Dejah having a better wardrobe.

I do hope their ERB survives in one form or another. I stopped reading comics for years and only came back to it because of the stuff DE was doing. The other stuff pre 1923 stuff thats in the public domain include the first two Pellucidar novels and Caspak. I woul like to see them have a go at those too.

ta

Ralph
                              Last edited by ralphuniverse; 01-24-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
                                I can't find any information on DE/ERB legal case since 2012. One of the reasons ERB inc gave for taking action was that the nudie artwork of Dejah Thoris effected their brand. Considering that DE was basically running with the way the characters have been drawn for decades that seemed dubious to me. However I'm not a lawyer, maybe we will see a new series with the Dejah having a better wardrobe.
                                Not when you take the John Carter movie into consideration. That opened up the possibility of spinoff toys, animated cartoons, etc. ERB Inc. can certainly change their minds regarding how Dejah Thoris has traditionally been portrayed in the past in illustrations and cover art.

Comment

Working...
                                X