Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ERD/John Carter/Tarzan/Dejah/WOM MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
    G'day,

The animated movie? They removed all black Africans from the film so as to not offend black people. Apparently half naked Negros are not allowed but of course half naked White Caucasian Tarzan is. They only had Whites and animals. That sort of gutless political correctness really pisses me off.

ta

Ralph
    They did the same thing in the Filmation cartoon series from the late 1970s. Despite this (and no mention of Jane or Korak), I still think the Filmation series was the closest adaptation of the Tarzan books to film that I've seen, as far as the right approach to the material, the look and feel of it. Too bad they were hampered by television broadcasting standards and practices. At least they tried to keep the fantasy elements of lost civilizations, etc. Too bad they had such a miniscule budget.

The sad thing about the Disney film to me is that they could have taken the basic Filmation feel of an animated adventure comic strip and added a decent budget and quality animation... but no, they had to go for the more obvious "cartoony" approach. They pretty much already did that with The Jungle Book, so with Tarzan they were just repeating themselves. Ugh.
    Last edited by pulphero; 06-28-2015, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• Uh, yeah, guess we'll have to disagree about the quality of the Disney animation... As for the style, I think there is room for many approaches and interpretations.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
        Uh, yeah, guess we'll have to disagree about the quality of the Disney animation... As for the style, I think there is room for many approaches and interpretations.
        It's not an issue of quality. They obviously had the budget and the talent to do it right. It's a matter of the artistic and commercial choices they made on how to best apply that money and talent to adapting the subject matter. Disney's Tarzan is a poor adaptation of the source material, even if it's a technically proficient one. To me, the only right approach would have been to emulate the best comic strip and comic book adaptations of Tarzan, emphasizing the drama and adventure elements. Instead they chose the safer course, which was simply to force ERB's story into the standard Disney product mold of cartoony humans and animals. What I wanted was an ERB Tarzan counterpart to WB's Batman: The Animated Series, with a bigger budget.
        Last edited by pulphero; 06-29-2015, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          It's not an issue of quality. They obviously had the budget and the talent to do it right. It's a matter of the artistic and commercial choices they made on how to best apply that money and talent to adapting the subject matter. Disney's Tarzan is a poor adaptation of the source material, even if it's a technically proficient one. To me, the only right approach would have been to emulate the best comic strip and comic book adaptations of Tarzan, emphasizing the drama and adventure elements. Instead they chose the safer course, which was simply to force ERB's story into the standard Disney product mold of cartoony humans and animals. What I wanted was an ERB Tarzan counterpart to WB's Batman: The Animated Series, with a bigger budget.
          I suppose we'll just have to disagree. I don't think they were trying to just adapt the source material, so I don't think it's quite fair to say it's a poor adaptation of it. I think it's genuinely good and actually profound, telling a somewhat different take on the story than either ERB's original material or other versions of it. I think there can be many ways of "doing it right."

Comment

• Tarzan/Sheena crossover coming: http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...tarzan-team-up

Comment

• Awesome!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                They did the same thing in the Filmation cartoon series from the late 1970s. Despite this (and no mention of Jane or Korak), I still think the Filmation series was the closest adaptation of the Tarzan books to film that I've seen, as far as the right approach to the material, the look and feel of it. Too bad they were hampered by television broadcasting standards and practices. At least they tried to keep the fantasy elements of lost civilizations, etc. Too bad they had such a miniscule budget.

The sad thing about the Disney film to me is that they could have taken the basic Filmation feel of an animated adventure comic strip and added a decent budget and quality animation... but no, they had to go for the more obvious "cartoony" approach. They pretty much already did that with The Jungle Book, so with Tarzan they were just repeating themselves. Ugh.
                The funny thing about Disney's animated Tarzan, is that the TV series was somewhat better than the movie, it had the Waziri tribe, Queen La and Pellucidar. I do prefer to watch over the TV cartoon instead of the movie most times.

Comment

• Originally posted by rasx View Post
                  It's weird that they hadn't done anything further with Frank Cho's Jungle Girl for years, and all of a sudden we get a 'Season Three'. And now Dynamite will have two jungle girls. Oh well, the more the merrier, and Sheena's the original Jungle Queen, so she's the one to see if they can get right. I wonder if DE's version will pick up on Steven DeSousa's rebooted version previously published by Devil's Due and Moonstone, or go back to the character's original roots. The rebooted version was set in South America, in the Amazon jungle, so if it's a crossover with Tarzan in Africa then maybe DE will revert to the Golden Age version of Sheena, which was set in Africa.
                  Last edited by pulphero; 07-09-2015, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• SDCC' 15 Groo/Tarzan: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/...es-grootarzan/

Comment

• Originally posted by rasx View Post
                      The funny thing about Disney's animated Tarzan, is that the TV series was somewhat better than the movie, it had the Waziri tribe, Queen La and Pellucidar. I do prefer to watch over the TV cartoon instead of the movie most times.
                      I enjoyed it, but I don't know if I'd say it was better. The movie itself as a stand-alone story, with the animation and music and such, was profound and moving in a way that I didn't find (and I admit it's hard to pull off in an ongoing series!) in the series. It's kind of like Lilo and Stitch--the movie was incredible and hit depths of emotion that I don't think the series was really trying for, but the series was still very good.

Comment

Working...
                      X